Page 14 of 61 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Rey was never a Mad Maxx-style, cutthroat, highest bidder, merc-for-hire that sawed open the head of a bad guy with the hand of a father, in front of his daughter no less. Teela beat up the kid, too. Don't think Rey punched kids, either.

I kind of wonder if some of the people that don't like this show just don't like women shown in powerful roles?

Because Rey has nothing on this Teela, who suffers no **** from any person. She is much more like comicbook or even Timmverse Wonder Woman, minus the naivety Diana is sometimes shown to have. Maybe she is more like Red Sonja? I dunno. I cannot think of an apt comparison at the moment. Buffy, lol?

This Teela is very strong and really nothing like Rey.

There are better critiques to be had, IMHO.
    I can only speak for myself and not others, but i for one do not have that issue of women in powerful and leading roles but what i do take issue as far as this show goes is the idea that after Adam goes so far to protect Eternia, Teela's reaction is to act like a child who got her feelings hurt because no one told her that he was He-man all along and walks away from it all because of it, that is not to me at least the sign of strong powerful woman but a petulant child, she left because she got her feelings hurt while his parents are grieving his so far apparent loss and the world is going to hell because they lost their champion.

As of now the media is already painting anyone taking issue to this show as a hater and it will get worse as it has happened in the past, and there will be elements who will take it to the extreme and justify the medias narrative, but the ones who are not part of that group of "fans" will be lumped in with the bad apples and their genuine grievances will be lost and twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    I can only speak for myself and not others, but i for one do not have that issue of women in powerful and leading roles but what i do take issue as far as this show goes is the idea that after Adam goes so far to protect Eternia, Teela's reaction is to act like a child who got her feelings hurt because no one told her that he was He-man all along and walks away from it all because of it, that is not to me at least the sign of strong powerful woman but a petulant child, she left because she got her feelings hurt while his parents are grieving his so far apparent loss and the world is going to hell because they lost their champion.

As of now the media is already painting anyone taking issue to this show as a hater and it will get worse as it has happened in the past, and there will be elements who will take it to the extreme and justify the medias narrative, but the ones who are not part of that group of "fans" will be lumped in with the bad apples and their genuine grievances will be lost and twisted.
    From what I've seen, the whole "Not Part Of That Group..." contingent?

They must be one heck of a small contingent.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    From what I've seen, the whole "Not Part Of That Group..." contingent?

They must be one heck of a small contingent.
    Well, i can see where this is going so i will calmly exit stage left.

*******SPOILERS****** (seems silly at this point, but...)
    A few comments about the other parts of the show:
    -- If their original intent was to recruit Duncan as the guy to reforge the sword, it's a good thing Bayma- I mean Roboto went instead because there's no way Duncan could have been able to do what Roboto did.
    -- There were times when SMG seemed miscast as Teela - her voice still comes across as young. I kept thinking Tricia Helfer would've been better. Lena Headley was great as Evil-Lyn though. Mark Hamill is always good, but I keep hearing a toned down Joker. I wonder how it would have sounded if he tried for the more nasal-y voice from the original.
    -- Did I miss it or do we not know what happened to the King and Queen? Odd that Adam didn't even ask how they were.
    -- I imagine Adam is still alive. It didn't seem to me like a Coulson-killing wound.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    And what I'm saying, again, is that it IS an 80s show in 2021. It feels a lot like the original series to me. And that opinion comes from actually watching the thing. In fact, the 80s parts are the ones that were some of the worst aspects because they were so cheesy, just like the original lol
    I agree....look I I an 80's kid and this show was essentially planned for my generation but has the fatal flaw, that well they tried to have heir cake and eat it, they pushed the 80's nostalgia while trying to please modern sensibility (unless you have lived under a rock for 20+ years your taste inevitably developed...even if you just watched first 3 seasons fo the simpsons) at same time...result is surface level at best, jumbled mess at worst.

And why the funk stinkor face STILL look like merman. Is an human skunk essentially, why a fish face? In the toy was understandable(cheap reuse of a model) but I never understood in animation or comics! Is not that he was the most known or popular toy, infact he was the less loved one! I was incensed when as kid I asked for roboto and got that plastic smelling *******!

Just finished it. I wasn't old enough for He-Man the first time around, so I didn't have much I the way of expectations.

- I like Teela, but I agree with some of the comments that maybe SMG was maybe not the right fit.

- Man-At-Arms to the rescue is cool, but quickly became cliche. Especially if on-screen enemies are shot at from a source off screen.

- Even though I don't know much of the show, the weakened Orko got me straight in the feels.

- Also, Orko's da man.

- Adam will either be immortal because he can't go to Heaven, or he'll end up in Hell and can be rescued there.

- that Triclops techno uprising went nowhere

- But maybe they can play a bigger role when He-Man is replaced by Cyborg He-Man, the Eliminator, Eternium, and He-Boy.

- and maybe Part 2 might show some more of the other heroes from the original show. Lord knows they need to replenish their numbers after Part 1.
    Last edited by Cyke; 07-24-2021 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    - and maybe Part 2 might show some more of the other heroes from the original show. Lord knows they need to replenish their numbers after Part 1.
    I was bummed at first that there was no voice actor announced for Stratos, but maybe that was for the better. He and Ram-man showed up a bunch on the old show so maybe they'll make an appearance in the second season, if there is one.

Here's a question:
    Adam chose to be Adam and not He-Man in "heaven." If he had chosen to be He-Man in heaven does that mean he would have already been powerful when they made the journey back? It seems Adam chose.... poorly.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-24-2021 at 02:25 AM.

I woke up early on Friday to walk my dogs. I was psyched to watch this show. After 15 mins I was like "Nope. This is awful. Not spending 3 hours of my life on this." Turned it off. Went back to sleep. Woke up. Went about my day. Surfed the web around noon and that's when I found out how the first episode ended and all the controversy. I'm 100% pro representation and diversity. I'm also a HUGE Kevin Smith fan. To me, this thing just missed the mark.
    Last edited by edpower; 07-24-2021 at 04:11 AM.
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

Ultimate Member

Yeah, watched a few minutes and didn’t flow with it. It seems to be directed at a younger audience (outside of He-man straight up stabbing Skeletor for the first time ever).

I’m old enough to remember the 80s cartoon; that cartoon was garbage.

This is the one instance of a revival that sticks too much to the original series. I’d have preferred a total reboot of the concept to be honest. Maybe something closer to DCs treatment of the characters.
    Last edited by Username taken; 07-24-2021 at 04:36 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

^^ Did you have something to say about the Rotten Tomatoes scoring? If anything, I hope the disparity highlights how RT is nonsense and those numbers don't mean anything.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    ^^ Did you have something to say about the Rotten Tomatoes scoring? If anything, I hope the disparity highlights how RT is nonsense and those numbers don't mean anything.
    The fan response is overwhelming negative. That response is everywhere wherever I go where this show is being discussed.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The fan response is overwhelming negative. That response is everywhere wherever I go where this show is being discussed.
    I'm not even a He-man fan but this series wasn't for me at all.

And this isn't for any "political" reasons, the tone and the plot just didn't pull me in.

That could well be the case for many people. But RT is a bit of a mess though, I'm sure a lot of people with be review bombing it for "political" reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I'm not even a He-man fan but this series wasn't for me at all.

And this isn't for any "political" reasons, the tone and the plot just didn't pull me in.

That could well be the case for many people. But RT is a bit of a mess though, I'm sure a lot of people with be review bombing it for "political" reasons.
    I watch two episodes and Teela's attitude has been a real turn off for me. I can't see myself rooting for someone who's so self absorbed.
    Last edited by Immortal Weapon; 07-24-2021 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    You are aware of the concept of a review bombing, right?
    That image still is not quite the damning indictment you think it is.

There is a lot of negative histrionics, less of the criticism that don't come off as thoughtless knee jerk reactions.
    Not that it will necessarily be seen as good or bad by the populace at large, but just that there is a very loud group of dumb dumb's drowning out almost everything else right now.

I personally was pleasantly surprised by it, it was quite good for what it is... though in all fairness, what it is, is horribly perplexing.
    It is a direct continuation of the original He-Man series, which though not without it's charm, was not good by any conventional and certainly not modern standards.
    I am tempted to dismissively ask 'What were people expecting? For He-Man to show up, effortlessly pummel the bad guys, wash rinse and repeat; nothing lost, nothing gained, and the mobius strip of tedium continues for all 5 episodes?'
    But on the other hand, what was the expectation for expectations? I mean obviously they're not going to make it like the 80's cartoon, but you've still got to keep the verisimilitude from it while elevating it to modern standards; which is such a conceptually weird concept.

I personally think they threaded needle quite well on balancing contemporary storytelling and 80's continuity, and temporarily removing He-Man was a good idea from a storytelling stand point; he's overpowered, defuses all tension, and it allowed for a greater focus on the other characters... and that badass moment with Orko was something my 5 year old self always wanted.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 07-24-2021 at 08:56 AM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!