Page 19 of 61 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Reading the controversy currently going on it's ironic that this thread is (wrongly) titled "He-Man: Revelation"
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderTBliss View Post
    I've got to ask, how is "too much of X character" not a legitimate criticism? Is it because you personally like that character?
    No, it's because they're saying too much of Teela because she's a woman...the fact of the matter is that Teela had more screen time than He-Man ever did in both the original series and the 2000 reboot.

The complaints about He-Man's death are pretty hollow too, from the start this was billed as the "Last He-Man story" and the final battle between He-Man and Skelitor...if anyone read that and was expecting happily ever after then they weren't paying attention. As a toy He-Man's big insperation may have been Conan but the show was heavily influenced by the legends of King Arthur...and spoiler alert, King Arthur didn't survive either.

Binged the 5 episodes and thought it was great. The original was too goofy for my younger self back when it aired, although my younger brother loved it. Anyhow a good update that is suitable for modern sensibilities without going grimdark. Kudos to all involved.

and note, He-Man's name is not in the title of the series so its clear that they don't expect him to be the sole focus of the show. I'd prefer this show take more of a JLU approach where we get a mix of major and minor MOTU characters each episode/arc, depending on the needs of the story.

But i suppose if a big chunk of MOTU fans boycott this it probably doesn't bode well for the series being continued. I hope it does, though

Watched the first episode and... it was quite good.

I'm no He-Man loyalist... I liked the reruns when I was a kid and I do love me some Evil-Lyn (although her voice in this seems way off and hard to understand), but the first ep. really felt like it captured the magic of the original. I hope it's successful so we can get a She-Ra version.

Prince Adam comes off VERY gay which is fun. Love the Sailor Moon-esque transformation sequence. I also love that his mother (who has a really cool backstory from what I remember) always knew Adam and He-Man were one in the same even though nobody else knew that she knew.

Teela's fine, and I can't help wondering if people would be this outraged if it was Man-at-Arms having this character arc and not her.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Teela's fine, and I can't help wondering if people would be this outraged if it was Man-at-Arms having this character arc and not her.
    My issue with Teela how she's acting like a child over a secret identity. The guy sacrificed his life to save her and the universe and somehow she felt victimized by that. Acting that way in front of his grieving parents is highly poor taste. I would be behind her quitting the royal guard if it was because Randor was being a total dick to her dad and not being salty over the secret identity. She needed to be goaded by her girlfriend to do the right thing. The universe is at stake, why does she need to be convinced to do the right thing? Turning her unlikable is this show's biggest sin.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

The obvious answer is some would and some wouldn’t. Not all the disappointment comes from the same place, so people should stop acting like everyone is the same.

I do think that there are a lot of folks who genuinely wanted to see He-Man and Skeletor as the leads. That’s why they watched the series. Coming from the X-Boards where people are constantly complaining that their favorite character is sidelined or made less important, I don’t see the big deal with the complaint. People complained about Wolverine, Magneto and Xavier dominating and they’re all men. So, I’m unfazed by the reaction and believe that it’s not all misogynistic. There are actual fans of He-Man in existence who wanted a show about him as the hero in every episode, not a plot device to serve Teela’s journey. Same with Skeletor. It doesn’t seem like an unreasonable point of view.

Astonishing Member

Was it interesting to watch? Yes. That's my take.

Astonishing Member

I am 43 years old, and a big Motu fan, therefore I was skeptical as hell before watching it. I mean cinematic Transformers was a let down and cinematic G.I Joe was a let down, so I had no high hopes.

But I must say, this one is great. It doesn't bother me that He-man isn't the main character this time, because we have seen enough of He-Man vs Skeletor, so this was a welcomed change. The quest of the Masters is fantastic as it is. And it has the best Orko in every iteration. I never was a fan of Teela, but here they made me one.

Great cliffhanger, can't wait for season two.

I finished the show and Tri-Klops is hands down the best part. Slay, kang!

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    My issue with Teela how she's acting like a child over a secret identity. The guy sacrificed his life to save her and the universe and somehow she felt victimized by that. Acting that way in front of his grieving parents is highly poor taste. I would be behind her quitting the royal guard if it was because Randor was being a total dick to her dad and not being salty over the secret identity. She needed to be goaded by her girlfriend to do the right thing. The universe is at stake, why does she need to be convinced to do the right thing? Turning her unlikable is this show's biggest sin.
    I don't think she was unlikable. Was it a good character trait to have her resentful of Adam not telling her the truth? No. It was obnoxious as hell. But people react to grief in different ways, so I'm able to forgive Teela for the flawed reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    I do think that there are a lot of folks who genuinely wanted to see He-Man and Skeletor as the leads.
    That's fine, and if the roles were reversed and She-Ra died so that Bow could take center stage I'd probably be a bit miffed too (although actually it would be great to see Bow step up as a character). But there's no excusing sending death threats to the creators. That level of outrage should not exist, period.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    No, it's because they're saying too much of Teela because she's a woman...the fact of the matter is that Teela had more screen time than He-Man ever did in both the original series and the 2000 reboot.

The complaints about He-Man's death are pretty hollow too, from the start this was billed as the "Last He-Man story" and the final battle between He-Man and Skelitor...if anyone read that and was expecting happily ever after then they weren't paying attention. As a toy He-Man's big insperation may have been Conan but the show was heavily influenced by the legends of King Arthur...and spoiler alert, King Arthur didn't survive either.
    Wait, are you saying Teela's always had more screentime in every iteration? I've only ever watched the 2002 cartoon but He-Man was pretty prominent there.

I don't think they would bring Adam back and giving up paradise just to kill him off again like that. I don't think he'll actually even die by the end of the series given how much is left unresolved and they've already done it to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I also really didn't like her redesign after the time-skip.
    Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    I do think that there are a lot of folks who genuinely wanted to see He-Man and Skeletor as the leads. That’s why they watched the series. Coming from the X-Boards where people are constantly complaining that their favorite character is sidelined or made less important, I don’t see the big deal with the complaint. People complained about Wolverine, Magneto and Xavier dominating and they’re all men. So, I’m unfazed by the reaction and believe that it’s not all misogynistic. There are actual fans of He-Man in existence who wanted a show about him as the hero in every episode, not a plot device to serve Teela’s journey. Same with Skeletor. It doesn’t seem like an unreasonable point of view.
    Just from my own personal perspective...I like Teela but I really wanted to see more of Adam/He-Man in every scene he was in. I didn't really care much for Teela's character arc here, and I really wanted to hear more of Chris Wood as Adam/He-Man.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    But I must say, this one is great. It doesn't bother me that He-man isn't the main character this time, because we have seen enough of He-Man vs Skeletor, so this was a welcomed change. The quest of the Masters is fantastic as it is. And it has the best Orko in every iteration. I never was a fan of Teela, but here they made me one.
    I don't know if that's fair when the last He-Man cartoon aired decades ago. This isn't like Transformers which has been Optimus Prime versus Megatron pretty consistently for years and various animated shows/movies.

I guess keeping in mind that there's going to be a CG cartoon that presumably has a more traditional take might make it more forgiveable but that also probably depends on the execution.

Astonishing Member

@Frontier

My guess is that Adam survives and that he will fight Skeletor again, so we will see them put against each other another time. And you are right, I spoke for everyone saying that we have seen enough of He-Man vs Skeletor, I should have said I don't need them fighting each other. On the other side want to see a final battle, though.

I can understand why Teela was hurt, but she had to put that aside for the greater good.

And I love the sidecut of her hair

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I can understand why Teela was hurt, but she had to put that aside for the greater good.
    My issue is I feel like she would have done that before the time-skip and having to be forced to by the quest. It just didn't feel believable to me that she'd say "screw it" and walk out on everything and go all anti-magic.
    And I love the sidecut of her hair
    I dunno, it made her just look more generic to me because I've just seen it so often, but to each their own.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    My issue is I feel like she would have done that before the time-skip and having to be forced to by the quest. It just didn't feel believable to me that she'd say "screw it" and walk out on everything and go all anti-magic.

I dunno, it made her just look more generic to me because I've just seen it so often, but to each their own.
    Either I didnt get why no one told her and Randor Adams secret or it wasn't explained yet. Marlena not telling her husband the secret is...I don't know...I would tell my wife. Cant wrap my head around it.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I finished the show and Tri-Klops is hands down the best part. Slay, kang!

I don't think she was unlikable. Was it a good character trait to have her resentful of Adam not telling her the truth? No. It was obnoxious as hell. But people react to grief in different ways, so I'm able to forgive Teela for the flawed reaction.
    She was perfectly fine with leaving the universe doomed because her feelings were hurt. When evil Lyn has a better sense of self preservation than the lead something has gone wrong. I find that difficult to forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    You are aware of the concept of a review bombing, right?
    That image still is not quite the damning indictment you think it is.

There is a lot of negative histrionics, less of the criticism that don't come off as thoughtless knee jerk reactions.
    Not that it will necessarily be seen as good or bad by the populace at large, but just that there is a very loud group of dumb dumb's drowning out almost everything else right now.

I personally was pleasantly surprised by it, it was quite good for what it is... though in all fairness, what it is, is horribly perplexing.
    It is a direct continuation of the original He-Man series, which though not without it's charm, was not good by any conventional and certainly not modern standards.
    I am tempted to dismissively ask 'What were people expecting? For He-Man to show up, effortlessly pummel the bad guys, wash rinse and repeat; nothing lost, nothing gained, and the mobius strip of tedium continues for all 5 episodes?'
    But on the other hand, what was the expectation for expectations? I mean obviously they're not going to make it like the 80's cartoon, but you've still got to keep the verisimilitude from it while elevating it to modern standards; which is such a conceptually weird concept.

I personally think they threaded needle quite well on balancing contemporary storytelling and 80's continuity, and temporarily removing He-Man was a good idea from a storytelling stand point; he's overpowered, defuses all tension, and it allowed for a greater focus on the other characters... and that badass moment with Orko was something my 5 year old self always wanted.
    All of this. I am not getting the irrational anger, though I have a hunch... You know what, never mind, lol.

I loved this.