Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Do you guys really not think anyone will die in this story? All the teases make it sound like something really bad is going to happen. I don't think it will be as simple as just a merging happening and that's it.

All in one month's time, too. Nice.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    So merger? People worried over timeline issues and the "these aren't his friends" issues can cool their jets and drink the coolaid like the rest of us? Nice. Jon's been lookin' pretty Gohan-like for a while now, so literal fusion doesn't even faze me now.

I honestly didn't know or care how DC would get us to "Clark and Lois KENT have a son named Jon and they're from this world" but here it is. I just wanna do it so we can get back to business as usual with the great Superman stuff we've had so far.

I mean cause, that's basically what's gonna go down, right? This is all a glorified way of just cutting and pasting Mr. El in as THE Superman. Now that scene with Mr. El remembering rainbow Batman (and Bruce not) has a bookend to it.

Superman is still going to be Mr. El. He's going to have Mr. El personality, wife, and son (that kids here to stay). The big thing is that the Els can now have the name Kent back without it being creepy. Oh and now Kara and Clark can go back to Pre-52 closeness, and she can hang with Jon. Also this means Kenan's powers now basically come from Mr. El.

Now DC.....about the origin you'll be using. I vote an "ultimate" that's relatively vague. The 4 part bedtime story for Jon arc is lookin REEEEEEEAAAL good right about now, DC. Just sayin', man. It's here. Take it if you want it, DC. I just request that Tomasi and Gleason write it (which is likely anyway).

But after this glorified reestablishing of the Kent identity is over, can we just move on? I've been having a really great time moving forward in the Superman book, so I wanna KEEP doing that.
    I could be wrong and this wraps everything up neat and tidy. If so I'm ok with that.However a part of me really wants to see the two Supermen interact and have some adventures together. It was the most disappointing part of the whole Last Days arc that all we got was like a total of maybe two or three pages where they interacted. I also would dig a few adventures with Jon hanging around with his " uncle" Nuperman just for laughs!
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Does anyone else think we might be getting a more classic (or straight up classic) suit by the end of this?

I mean, if the red balance was off with the New 52 and the blue balance was off with Mr. El, then what if them together is just the classic suit.

It would explain why Gleason's original concept with red boots and yellow belt was shot down. Or how Manapul's yellow buckle was shot down too. DC may have been saving up for a more classic suit.

For those wondering how that's gonna mesh with the movies (since Mr. El's suit compliments the movies so much) then I'd like to point your attention to the fact that Superman is being literally reborn in the movies. There was a giant whole in his old suit, so it's more than possible that he'll be getting a new one when he comes back. Given the fact that John's has superseded Snyder's authority on the JL film, and rewritten chunks of it--and the fact that he will be basically overseeing the next Superman movie--I feel pretty confident that he might opt for a more classic look for everything. Rebirth is literally Johns' idea, and they had the Superman summit with him.

Plus in the background of the first two covers you can totally see the classic look, and they've been bringing it up a lot lately (Jon asks his dad why he doesn't wear it anymore, and we just saw it talked about and used in the holiday issue). I wouldn't count the classic suit out just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    All in one month's time, too. Nice.
    This is my favorite part. Bimonthly is a godsend.

I honestly don't think anything bad will happen to Jon since he and Damian are just starting their own series but I'm very interested to find out all that's going on with Clark Kent, Superman, and Mr. Oz and what exactly that will mean for everything Superman related in the next year.

By the way, I hope it was talking about Tim Drake when they discuss someone escaping Mr.Oz. It's either him or Doomsday and I much prefer Tim.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Does anyone else think we might be getting a more classic (or straight up classic) suit by the end of this?

I mean, if the red balance was off with the New 52 and the blue balance was off with Mr. El, then what if them together is just the classic suit.

It would explain why Gleason's original concept with red boots and yellow belt was shot down. Or how Manapul's yellow buckle was shot down too. DC may have been saving up for a more classic suit.

For those wondering how that's gonna mesh with the movies (since Mr. El's suit compliments the movies so much) then I'd like to point your attention to the fact that Superman is being literally reborn in the movies. There was a giant whole in his old suit, so it's more than possible that he'll be getting a new one when he comes back. Given the fact that John's has superseded Snyder's authority on the JL film, and rewritten chunks of it--and the fact that he will be basically overseeing the next Superman movie--I feel pretty confident that he might opt for a more classic look for everything. Rebirth is literally Johns' idea, and they had the Superman summit with him.

Plus in the background of the first two covers you can totally see the classic look, and they've been bringing it up a lot lately (Jon asks his dad why he doesn't wear it anymore, and we just saw it talked about and used in the holiday issue). I wouldn't count the classic suit out just yet.
    No, you can't have a theory that they will merge and somehow superman will end up with a even more classic suit. If anything, his suit will add the red boots.

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    Oh, I like your theory. Makes sense given all the Supes Red/Blue references. It's just that I saw the bloodied Superman shield and that took me all the way back to 1992. I mean, why use that particular design?

Well,its probably just a short handed way to nod that particular era. The first two covers have a thematic nostalgic bent. They actually remind me of the covers to Byrne's Man of Steel in a way.

Or... perhaps that silhouette of Clark Kent with the bloody S is not Superman...but a hint that alternative Clark is OG Hank Henshaw.

Remember...Henshaw DID play a role in Superman splitting into RED and BLUE? Coincidence?
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 12-15-2016 at 12:14 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I honestly don't think anything bad will happen to Jon since he and Damian are just starting their own series but I'm very interested to find out all that's going on with Clark Kent, Superman, and Mr. Oz and what exactly that will mean for everything Superman related in the next year.

By the way, I hope it was talking about Tim Drake when they discuss someone escaping Mr.Oz. It's either him or Doomsday and I much prefer Tim.
    Which Tim? Future (from Batman Beyond) or present? Either way, I suspect that will play out in the Batman comics, particularly Detective.

My money is on Doomsday. But I'd love to be pleasantly surprised to see Kon-El, the "other" Superboy.

This would be great if they merged and are both officially Superman. I just wonder how they will handle his origin. Which story is the true year one for Supes? I really hope Grant's t shirt and jeans Superman stays in continuity.

If Superdad is indeed Superman Blue it would kind of explain the blue hand print. DC was giving us a big hint that many people saw as a reference to Dr. Manhattan and not Superman Blue.

I was thinking the same.

Those that hate the trunks may not be happy....

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    No, you can't have a theory that they will merge and somehow superman will end up with a even more classic suit. If anything, his suit will add the red boots.
    Why would it HAVE to have more red in it. I pretty sure this isn't DBZ earring fusion rules where they mix clothes. I think Manofsteel1979's idea of them being two parts of a whole is pretty close. That "whole" is more than likely classic Superman. That's why I wouldn't count out the classic suit.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Do you guys really not think anyone will die in this story? All the teases make it sound like something really bad is going to happen. I don't think it will be as simple as just a merging happening and that's it.
    DC sure made it sound that way, but then I remember that DC has overpromised and underdelivered more than once. So I dunno. Could be that someone dies, but not who we're expecting/ hoping.

Nah, remember the pic Snyder showed at Comic-Con. It seems Superman's suit won't be getting any further changes. Also, since they're trying to appeal to a wider audience, and that audience thinks that the trunks on the outside is silly, well...

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

If only this would bring about new creative teams...

I'm just over it all, just let Superman be Superman. Ditch the kid and the doppelganger crap.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Well,its probably just a short handed way to nod that particular era. The first two covers have a thematic nostalgic bent. They actually remind me of the covers to Byrne's Man of Steel in a way.

Or... perhaps that silhouette of Clark Kent with the bloody S is not Superman...but a hint that alternative Clark is OG Hank Henshaw.

Remember...Henshaw DID play a role in Superman splitting into RED and BLUE? Coincidence?
    Well, one of the villains on the cover of #975 looks distinctly like Henshaw's Cyborg-Superman...