Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DC's most well known LGBTQ heroes in other media?

Who would you guys say are the most well known LGBTQ DC superheroes outside of comic book fans/in other media?
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

Batwoman, The Ray, Renee Montoya, and Wonder Woman are the only ones I can think of that are depicted as out in other media and in the comic books. Not familiar with Marvel character but I guess they have some too.

Technically the most well-known has to be Wonder Woman. I'm not sure if the acknowledgment of her pansexuality is a more recent development, but even Gal Gadot has talked about it before.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Technically the most well-known has to be Wonder Woman. I'm not sure if the acknowledgment of her pansexuality is a more recent development, but even Gal Gadot has talked about it before.
    Her pansexuality is something that is mentioned by a few people, but isn't really seen in print or on screen (and most likely never will, except via an obscure hint).

Having said that, Batwoman is (now) the correct answer.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

Sara and Ava (or Sara and anyone). Batwoman (Kate Kane) we know is a lesbian, but given how much shock and surprise there's been on socials, it seems like most people didn't know and don't believe it even now--they think it's all a plot by the illuminati to steal their midi-chlorians.

Unofficially, I'd say Kara and Lena. There's more heat betweeen those two than any other actors I've seen on CW. And the writers love to queer bait (I don't believe anymore that viewers are seeing what isn't there--that's gas lighting).

There's also metaphor. Even if a character doesn't fit the Earthbound pan-gender models--aliens, metahumans and mutants can represent something via metaphor that LGBTQ (or people in general) can relate to and apply to their own lives.

Diana's a queer icon apparently, so even though her bisexuality was only canonically established with Rucka's Rebirth run I'd say she wins. DC might have only recently admitted that Diana's not straight (and still has done almost nothing with that) but the rest of the world seems to have always known. And isn't there rumors of WW84 tackling this too?

Past that it's probably Batwoman. I don't think Montoya is well known enough to count and neither is the Ray.

If we're looking at just comics the highest profile gay character, historically, might be Piped Piper.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I believe Poison Ivy might give Batwoman a match here. But I guess it goes how one defines "hero".
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I feel like Harley and Ivy are not really "heroes" in the normal sense, but I think they can be sort of like... "folk heroes" to real queer people? Because they exist on their own terms outside of societal norms, and having each escaped from an abusive relationship with a man to find solace, love and friendship in each other. The fact that they're still, you know, varying levels of evil doesn't really come into it for their fans, and I see why. A lot of folk heroes from Robin Hood on down are master criminals, after all.

That said, Batwoman, having her own show, has to be up there. I don't know how much public awareness there is of Montoya, or of Wonder Woman's pansexuality. I'm not as pessimistic as some about whether that'll ever have public awareness to it.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I guess Batwoman and Thunder since its pretty much in-your-face in both cases. And since Wonder Woman is usually with Steve (and for a time with Supes52) most ppl probably assume shes straight instead of bi. Similar with Harley Quinn (in other media; in comics its quite obvious shes bi).

Edit: And theres the case of Larry from Doom Patrol who is gay in the show but AFAIK straight in the comics (hearsay; never really read Doom Patrol).
    Last edited by The_Lurk; 11-18-2019 at 12:20 PM.

If we're talking other media, probably Batwoman or Sara Lance.

Harley and Ivy as an explicit romantic couple hasn't seen as big a push in outside media as it is in the comics, but the upcoming Harley Quinn cartoon seems to be incorporating plenty of subtext in their relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    That said, Batwoman, having her own show, has to be up there. I don't know how much public awareness there is of Montoya, or of Wonder Woman's pansexuality. I'm not as pessimistic as some about whether that'll ever have public awareness to it.
    Nobody outside of CB readers knows anything about it. Even there, it's not like it's announced in neon.

Do you guys consider John Constantine a superhero? Also, has his bisexuality ever been covered in his appearances in TV and movies?
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    Do you guys consider John Constantine a superhero? Also, has his bisexuality ever been covered in his appearances in TV and movies?
    He's up there with Sara Lance, but still behind Kate.

Retired

Constantine's bisexuality is well-documented on LEGENDS OF TOMORROW (his kiss saved the world).

All of the people on Danny the Street in DOOM PATROL are the nicest, bestest representation I've seen. Do casts of characters count?

In the minds of generations of readers and viewers, going back to the 1940s, the belief that the Amazons are having same-sex relationships has held strong, even when the comic book publisher denied this being the case. And I think that accounts for why a lot of men and women love Paradise Island so.

Recently watched "The Feminum Mystique" and I'd like to think those Amazons in their baby doll nightgowns are doing more than playing jacks.

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    I think he goes both ways in the TV shows, as he does in the comics.