Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    You got a link for this? I've heard about this recently, but I haven't read the specific tweet in question myself.

I personally don't see a reason to think he's going anywhere any time soon.
    It's on Reddit and on his twitter. Just scroll. It's in this month.

I'm not saying anything like that is going to happen to Damian . I saying that WB not DC is the one that seems to backing Damian the most. They are/were more invested in the character than TPTB at DC. If that's still the case then it really doesn't matter what the TPTB at DC or star writer want. It's the Synder/Duke/New Robin thing all over again. DC approved a new Robin WB vetoed it and brought Damian back.

Personally though i do think that Damian is going to graduate the role and Tim will stay Robin. Not sure about Jon though.

Nightwing and Flamebird might be a thing. We saw Damian as Nightwing in Dick's visions, According to Rebirth nightwing Damian is the heir to Nightwing. and if Dick was going to pass his mantle to anyone it would be Damian.

However I hope it's not because I don't think Nightwing is a mantle that should be passed around like Batman or Robin [yes i know it's origin and that there's been more than one but I can't think of anyone as Nightwing but Dick]
    However
    Last edited by dietrich; 03-17-2019 at 02:49 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I'm not saying anything like that is going to happen to Damian . I saying that WB not DC is the one that seems to backing Damian the most. They are/were more invested in the character than TPTB at DC. If that's still the case then it really doesn't matter what the TPTB at DC or star writer want. It's the Synder/Duke/New Robin thing all over again. DC approved a new Robin WB vetoed it and brought Damian back.
    I don't think that means he can't ever, ever, ever, ever get a name change where he's not Robin. For all we know, WB didn't let Snyder make Duke Robin because Duke isn't a white kid with dark hair like literally all the other Robins are dawn. Less reason to question synergy across media as it affects the layman when you're swapping out one white kid with dark hair for another. Kind of a mess up thing to assume, I know, but I don't feel like I'm super off the mark in assuming it as the main reason.

That said, for all I know Damian and Jon may story Robin and Superboy, and Conner and Tim may end up being whatever else. I just find that harder to see right now, but that's just from my POV.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-17-2019 at 02:58 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Well, based on recent solicitations, I think Jon and Damian will mantain Superboy and Robin identites, while Conner and Tim will change their identities.

I mean, in the last solicitations, Jon is still called Superboy, while Tim and Conner are called by their names (although Cassie and Bart are called Wonder Girl and Impulse respectively).
    Last edited by Konja7; 03-17-2019 at 02:59 PM.

I think they've just got a lot invested in Damian in general, and that won't change with a name change I feel. And in the case of the solicit for the GL book, Hal is given more attention as the main GL than any other Earth GL. They may not call him the greatest in text, but he's most assuredly the one most pushed.
    They have a lot invested in Damian as Robin though. It's not like with Jon where they didn't immediately capitalize on Jon's popularity as Superboy right from the get-go, but Damian's been pretty consistently portrayed as Robin in other media and such for a while now.

I mean, he was definitely the main Lantern of the four but the book was a lot more even-handed about it then I think it got credit for, and I doubt Venditti was intentionally trying to push the "Greatest Green Lantern" angle.
    Again, I think the main take-away is that the Super Sons wouldn't really need the code names Superboy and Robin to remain relevant, well known, and easily identifiable. Hell, it's possible that Damian may adopt the title "The Demon" if all of this links to Leviathan in some way. Talia is reported to be involved in the new DCU dealing with Leviathan. Something my prompt Damian to have to take up that side of the family's mantle?
    Damian having anything to do with the "Demon" or LoA branding would be such a character regression. His whole deal as Robin is trying to move away from that. It's part of why being Robin is so important for him.

I'm not expecting Damian to have much to do with the Leviathan event anyways. I mean, he might appear with the Titans, but I doubt he'll be plot relevant.
    Mark my words: Jon Kent going just by his name in public (kind of impossible to explain where the 10 year old is now) and Damian aka "The Demon" or thereabouts.
    I think he'd work better as a public hero in the Legion timeline then he would in the main DCU. That's kind of why I'm leaning towards the idea he might get stuck there for the forseeable future.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Well, based on recent solicitations, I think Jon and Damian will mantain Superboy and Robin identites, while Conner and Tim will change their identities.

I mean, in the last solicitations, Jon is still called Superboy, while Tim and Conner are called by their names (although Cassie and Bart are called Wonder Girl and Impulse respectively).
    I mean, we literally just discussed on the last page that Bendis said there won't be any name changes till Jon and Conner actually meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, he was definitely the main Lantern of the four but the book was a lot more even-handed about it then I think it got credit for, and I doubt Venditti was intentionally trying to push the "Greatest Green Lantern" angle.
    Yeah, but Hal's still the one who has the Grant Morrison book all about him, and normally gets top billing in relation to any other Lantern. "Greatest Green Lantern" likely just being there to show DC's push for him as most promoted GL more than any actual story reason.

It's part of why being Robin is so important for him.
    Keep in mind, it's not something that I'm at all sure on any level will happen, but I'd imagine him being forced to take that mantel would be more of a test of character rather than any sort of regression. In this hypothetical I'm assuming he's still a hero, even leading the TT, and trying to us the LOA for something good.

I'm not expecting Damian to have much to do with the Leviathan event anyways. I mean, he might appear with the Titans, but I doubt he'll be plot relevant.
    I'm thinking more like after the fact when some of the books than want to deal with the major shifts in the DCU that the story is supposed to cause.

I think he'd work better as a public hero in the Legion timeline then he would in the main DCU. That's kind of why I'm leaning towards the idea he might get stuck there for the forseeable future.
    I'm hoping Bendis' nostalgia for classic Superboy and The Legion stuff kicks in, and we get Jon going between the present and the 30th century. I don't think that's coming for a little bit, and in the meantime I think they're going to have to explain where their son. That's why I honestly think Clark is gonna be his "step father" while Superman is outed as his biological father. Bendis has done nothing but say how he wants Lois, Clark, and Jon to deal with their lost time with their lost time together as a family in a healthy way for a long time to come. That doesn't really scream "and then he gets stuck in the 30th century" to me.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I mean, we literally just discussed on the last page that Bendis said there won't be any name changes till Jon and Conner actually meet.
    As I said, Bendis didn't say that. Bendis say changes of identities and he say a reunion between Jon and Conner will happen, but he didn't say both things are relatee.

I also don't think Tim and Conner will lose the mantle in June, since Tim still use Robin suit. However, Bendis didn't say a reunion will happen before the change of identities.

Anyway, my point is that someone say a solicitation where Tim is qualified as the best Robin is a hint that Tim will mantain Robin mantle. So, the recent solicitations can be hints that Tim and Conner will lose the mantle. Right?

Yeah, but Hal's still the one who has the Grant Morrison book all about him, and normally gets top billing in relation to any other Lantern. "Greatest Green Lantern" likely just being there to show DC's push for him as most promoted GL more than any actual story reason.
    I mean, I'm not arguing that Hal isn't the main Earth Lantern and usually gets treated as such, but that solicits aren't always stuff to go by when they refer to or talk about characters in tongue-in-cheek manners.
    Keep in mind, it's not something that I'm at all sure on any level will happen, but I'd imagine him being forced to take that mantel would be more of a test of character rather than any sort of regression. In this hypothetical I'm assuming he's still a hero, even leading the TT, and trying to us the LOA for something good.
    He could probably still be Robin for that, though. Or at least it sounds more temporary until he becomes Robin again.
    I'm hoping Bendis' nostalgia for classic Superboy and The Legion stuff kicks in, and we get Jon going between the present and the 30th century. I don't think that's coming for a little bit, and in the meantime I think they're going to have to explain where their son. That's why I honestly think Clark is gonna be his "step father" while Superman is outed as his biological father. Bendis has done nothing but say how he wants Lois, Clark, and Jon to deal with their lost time with their lost time together as a family in a healthy way for a long time to come. That doesn't really scream "and then he gets stuck in the 30th century" to me.
    I guess either way there will be scrutiny over Lois and Clark's kid that Clark will have to manage to maintain his secret identity.

I don't think that means he can't ever, ever, ever, ever get a name change where he's not Robin. For all we know, WB didn't let Snyder make Duke Robin because Duke isn't a white kid with dark hair like literally all the other Robins are dawn. Less reason to question synergy across media as it affects the layman when you're swapping out one white kid with dark hair for another. Kind of a mess up thing to assume, I know, but I don't feel like I'm super off the mark in assuming it as the main reason.

That said, for all I know Damian and Jon may story Robin and Superboy, and Conner and Tim may end up being whatever else. I just find that harder to see right now, but that's just from my POV.
    I'm not going to make assumptions as to why WB wanted Damian to brought back but I am going to point out that at the time he was their only options for a new Robin wasn't limited to Duke. there was a girl option and a White, dark haired, blue eyed Bruce clone 'best Robin' option but they went with green-eyed, dead, sometimes-white option for reasons.

I pretty sure I never said Damian can't ever, ever, ever, ever get a name change where he's not Robin.matter of fact I said the opposite

"Personally though i do think that Damian is going to graduate the role and Tim will stay Robin. Not sure about Jon though"

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post

i wouldn't read much into that. It could just be to avoid spoilers or choice. I recall when the recent TT run started one of the cover art introducing/name checking the team Called Damian 'Damian Wayne Son of Batman' while Wallace was Kid Flash.

I'd find it weird if Damian graduated from Robin and Tim remained as Robin. Feels like older kids should graduate first.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'd find it weird if Damian graduated from Robin and Tim remained as Robin. Feels like older kids should graduate first.

This.
    it should be like that, they are ready for their graduation.
    Scion and Redbird

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I'm not going to make assumptions as to why WB wanted Damian to brought back but I am going to point out that at the time he was their only options for a new Robin wasn't limited to Duke. there was a girl option and a White, dark haired, blue eyed Bruce clone 'best Robin' option but they went with green-eyed, dead, sometimes-white option for reasons.
    Yeah but didn't Synder want Duke, and isn't that what we were talking about? No one seemed to be opting for Tim to be Robin at the time. And Damian is almost never drawn as mixed even though he should be.

I pretty sure I never said Damian can't ever, ever, ever, ever get a name change where he's not Robin.matter of fact I said the opposite

"Personally though i do think that Damian is going to graduate the role and Tim will stay Robin. Not sure about Jon though"
    Yeah, but unfortunately you edited that while I was typing my reply to what you had before, so I didn't notice it. But in any case, I wasn't specifically saying that you said he could never change his name. I was replying to the idea that WB would always stop other characters from becoming Robin again.

I think that it simply might be that higher ups see Robin being son of Batman makes him more marketable.

Also, there always have been weird, to say the least, theories about Bruce taking in young boys to help him. Damian being Robin essentially solves those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Also, there always have been weird, to say the least, theories about Bruce taking in young boys to help him.
    I think they more so solved this by making Robin a "movement" with We Are Robin. Robin now has its own legacy and idea behind it outside of being Batman's sidekick. Plus, Batman and Robin haven't actively worked together for years now.