Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Why isn't Lobo Considered One DC's Most Evil Villains?

90% of the time Lobo is presented as the lovable anti hero, sort of a 90s Harley Quinn. However the actions of the last Czarnian put most villains to shame. He murders innocents left and right, not to mentioned killing virtually last member of his race.

I understand that Lobo, especially 25 to 30 years ago was extremely popular, but it doesn't make sense in continuity that more or less, the superhero community gives him a blind eye. Hell, he was in the Justice League of Americs a mere year ago.

I understand that Lobo, especially 25 to 30 years ago was extremely popular, but it doesn't make sense in continuity that more or less, the superhero community gives him a blind eye.
    I absolutely completely agree with you. But I've admit I've never liked him.

It's one of those "the audience likes him so the heroes include him even though it makes no sense" that's happened with several popular villains/anti-heroes. And I disliked that a lot.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Because villains are evil. Lobo is amoral.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Because villains are evil. Lobo is amoral.
    Care to elaborate? I think genocide and mass murder goes beyond amoral.

Because he’s played for comedy a lot of time. If he was used more seriously he’d be an utter monster but then you couldn’t have him team up with Batman on the JLA.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Because he’s played for comedy a lot of time. If he was used more seriously he’d be an utter monster but then you couldn’t have him team up with Batman on the JLA.
    Yes, he commits mass murder humorously. I get that it entertains fans. But it irks the heck out of me that the heroes find this acceptable and still work with him, despite it. That other characters are made out of character (in accepting this) to promote his character just makes me dislike him more.

Because too many people like him and find him humorous.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Care to elaborate? I think genocide and mass murder goes beyond amoral.
    Amoral doesn't mean "neutral" in this stance. It literally means "with no concept of morals". Lobo does what he does, like a wild animal. Sure, some (most, if we're honest) of his actions are evil, but to him they're just "actions".
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

I generally, on principle, against having villains as protagonists. I also find most depictions of Lobo to be uninteresting. The key exceptions would be:

Slobo in Young Justice - He was downright heroic and funny!
    Lobo in 52 - Lobo, having found religion, was trying to swear off violence. It was interesting to see him in that light.

Same reason The Punisher, Red Hood, Deathstroke, Venom, Wolverine, Deadpool, Harley, etc etc are allowed to walk free. There’s an audience for the violent at times “anti-hero” characters. Lobo was shaped into a parody of the 90s extreme characters. Giffen took the violence to intentionally crazy levels.

I really don’t like when DC plays him as a straight up villain. If he’s just going to be a mass murdering villain he seems rather boring as a character. I only find Lobo interesting when there are comedy aspects included. Lemire’s version of Lobo in JLA was great. He was still a violent brawler but it almost seemed like he was blowhard who has exaggerated his kill count.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    90% of the time Lobo is presented as the lovable anti hero, sort of a 90s Harley Quinn. However the actions of the last Czarnian put most villains to shame. He murders innocents left and right, not to mentioned killing virtually last member of his race.

I understand that Lobo, especially 25 to 30 years ago was extremely popular, but it doesn't make sense in continuity that more or less, the superhero community gives him a blind eye. Hell, he was in the Justice League of Americs a mere year ago.
    People don't complain about Lobo nearly as much as they complain about Harley or Deathstroke(or at all for that matter)
    More popular villains get more focus and the ire of fans
    Lobo is sort of a villain but he isn't exactly killing innocent people every time he shows up somewhere like the Joker

Incredible Member

Lobo was suppose to be a parody of the "grim and gritty" era, when a lot of heroes actually killed their opponents (or, the opponents ended up dying as a result of the actions of the heroes). But, thanks to his popularity, they decided to "clean him up" a bit as an "anti-villain" (same thing happened Black Adam, Cat Woman, Death Stroke, and, yes, Harley Quinn).

Also, I believe that the Rebirth version of Lobo was suppose to reboot the character, so that he wasn't the mass murderer who murdered his entire race. There were hints that this "nu-Lobo" was the original, and that it was one of his clones that did the deed. Of course, those plans were nixed because the fans of the previous Lobo hated the change. In my "head canon", I prefer the nu-Lobo, and the Lobo is a result of a split-personality complex that was a result of a drug-induced, alcoholic bender (similar to what happened to Rev. Jim from the series "Taxi", who started out as a clean-cut academic that ended up as a degenerate from a single "hit" of a marijuana brownie). Oh, well...

In all honesty, New52 Lobo is better off in purgatory. A pale imitation at best.

For the real Lobo, I don't see him as an anti-hero nor a full on villain. He's chaotic neutral. Yes, he's done a lot of bad things, but he will never break his word/contract, and never harm a space dolphin. So he does have standards.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Same reason The Punisher, Red Hood, Deathstroke, Venom, Wolverine, Deadpool, Harley, etc etc are allowed to walk free. There’s an audience for the violent at times “anti-hero” characters. Lobo was shaped into a parody of the 90s extreme characters. Giffen took the violence to intentionally crazy levels.

I really don’t like when DC plays him as a straight up villain. If he’s just going to be a mass murdering villain he seems rather boring as a character. I only find Lobo interesting when there are comedy aspects included. Lemire’s version of Lobo in JLA was great. He was still a violent brawler but it almost seemed like he was blowhard who has exaggerated his kill count.
    And that.

Lobo is one of those characters who, if he was independent of the wider DCU. He'd be taken more seriously as a foul mouthed killing machine. But, Lobo is often interacting with or playing playing second fiddle to heroic characters.

Superman, L.E.G.I.O.N., Justice League of America and International, Omega Men, Starfire/Animal Man/Adam Strange, Lantern Corp members (Hal, Guy, Carol, Sinestro, Atroticus etc), Young Justice etc. It's like inserting Deadpool into books he doesn't belong in at Marvel. He can't help but be seen as a comic-relief mischief maker. As opposed to someone who fragged his entire race for a science project.

Extraordinary Member

You could also ask why they are OK with Etrigan (a literal Demon who got bonded to a Human because he was to violent and uncontrollable for Hell) running around and is frequently teaming up with the good guys.