Page 301 of 334 FirstFirst ... 201251291297298299300301302303304305311 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,515 of 5006

To do a successful BC ongoing, you need Dinah to have a strong supporting cast of her own, an arch enemy and have it's own unique style. Batman has his own moody, psychological, gothic atmosphere going on as well as wide tonal flexibility. GA has his own niche as a hot headed liberal and 'man of the people' aspect of his character. Dinah would need her own thing.

Shiva was the closest she had to arch enemy but she was more of a rival than an enemy and I'm iffy on Simone's Shiva anyway.

You would also need a consistent back story for her. IMO, her best backstory was her Post Crisis one; the mother-daughter legacy. I wouldn't mind some kind of modernization of her Golden Age stories. It's weird that she doesn't have much interaction with the Thunderbolts despite originating in Johnny Thunder's book.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    . . . And her DCYou book, was just so far off from her previous appearances that I don't think that it really appealed to her old fans.
    Well, I was a fan of Dinah's dating back to the 1970s, and despite the fact that the DCYou book felt far removed from the character I remember, I still bought / liked the DCYou series.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    To do a successful BC ongoing, you need Dinah to have a strong supporting cast of her own, an arch enemy and have it's own unique style. Batman has his own moody, psychological, gothic atmosphere going on as well as wide tonal flexibility. GA has his own niche as a hot headed liberal and 'man of the people' aspect of his character. Dinah would need her own thing.

Shiva was the closest she had to arch enemy but she was more of a rival than an enemy and I'm iffy on Simone's Shiva anyway.

You would also need a consistent back story for her. IMO, her best backstory was her Post Crisis one; the mother-daughter legacy. I wouldn't mind some kind of modernization of her Golden Age stories. It's weird that she doesn't have much interaction with the Thunderbolts despite originating in Johnny Thunder's book.
    I want more "Jade Canary"

Its time for an all out Canary war between Black Canary, Jade Canary and White Canary. Ouh also the new Red Canary xd

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

No, it's really not. She may have originated in JT's strip, but she was so popular with fans she ended kicking him out of it and taking it over. She eclipsed him. Besides, the Thunderbolt doesn't have a damn thing to do with her origins, her back story, or any of her adventures. The only thing weird here is you thinking she should have any ongoig tie or interaction with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    No, it's really not. She may have originated in JT's strip, but she was so popular with fans she ended kicking him out of it and taking it over. She eclipsed him. Besides, the Thunderbolt doesn't have a damn thing to do with her origins, her back story, or any of her adventures. The only thing weird here is you thinking she should have any ongoig tie or interaction with it.
    Chill out, I just think it would be interesting to see the two interact again.

I based my post off of writers who have tried to add depth to their relationship over the years:

JLA 102.jpg

Justice League of America Vol 1 #102

JLA 220.jpg

Justice League of America Vol 1 #220

JSA 1992-05.jpg

Justice Society of America (1992) #5

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I don’t view the Bat-family books as Batman books per se. I agree there are a lot of Batman books, but I don’t count the Bat-family books towards that total because the books belong to the specific character(s) involved in the series.

Nightwing is not a Batman book it’s a Dick Grayson book
    Robin is a Damian Wayne book (until Tim’s new book starts)
    Batgirls is a Stephanie, Cassandra, and Barbara book
    Task Force Z is a Jason Todd book.
    Heck I am Batman is a Jace Fox book

and so on and so forth. Sure they are tied to Batman, yes they get drawn into his stories, but I don’t consider them in the long list of Batman titles. Because to me it’s got to have Bruce Wayne front and center as the focus for it to be a Batman book. Though that still includes a LARGE number of ongoings, miniseries, and one-shots.
    I agree with this. While it may point to some underlying issue with DC not being able to match books to readers outside of Gotham, a lot of these 'Bat' books are really directed at people who are not necessarily interested in Batman but these other characters that have become popular in their own right and have their own audience.

Extraordinary Member

DC lives too much in the past. And when they do plan for the future, it generally just looks exactly like their past, but with a thin coat of paint so they don't piss off the old guys who'll likely be dead some time in the near future and won't be able to read them anymore anyway. While I don't think they'll ever shudder DC Comics altogether, it's likely to become nothing more than an IP farm for their movie and TV divisions.

I am seeing positive signs of change, but of course all the guys who will be dead in the near future are fighting it kicking and screaming.

I'm 46, btw, so not exactly a youngin,' myself.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I don’t view the Bat-family books as Batman books per se. I agree there are a lot of Batman books, but I don’t count the Bat-family books towards that total because the books belong to the specific character(s) involved in the series.

Nightwing is not a Batman book it’s a Dick Grayson book
    Robin is a Damian Wayne book (until Tim’s new book starts)
    Batgirls is a Stephanie, Cassandra, and Barbara book
    Task Force Z is a Jason Todd book.
    Heck I am Batman is a Jace Fox book

and so on and so forth. Sure they are tied to Batman, yes they get drawn into his stories, but I don’t consider them in the long list of Batman titles. Because to me it’s got to have Bruce Wayne front and center as the focus for it to be a Batman book. Though that still includes a LARGE number of ongoings, miniseries, and one-shots.
    If the Batman writer gets to dictate the events of your book, and their event derails your book, congratulations-- you're a Bat book. I don't think the Batman writer can have Superman sniped by a bullet to make Bruce sad. Not yet, anyway.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    DC lives too much in the past. And when they do plan for the future, it generally just looks exactly like their past, but with a thin coat of paint so they don't piss off the old guys who'll likely be dead some time in the near future and won't be able to read them anymore anyway. While I don't think they'll ever shudder DC Comics altogether, it's likely to become nothing more than an IP farm for their movie and TV divisions.

I am seeing positive signs of change, but of course all the guys who will be dead in the near future are fighting it kicking and screaming.

I'm 46, btw, so not exactly a youngin,' myself.
    What are the Soon To Be Deads fighting right now?

Also what is an example of the thin coats of paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    What are the Soon To Be Deads fighting right now?

Also what is an example of the thin coats of paint?
    Tim drake coming out and going back to Robin complete with a new Robin series 15 years after leaving the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    If the Batman writer gets to dictate the events of your book, and their event derails your book, congratulations-- you're a Bat book. I don't think the Batman writer can have Superman sniped by a bullet to make Bruce sad. Not yet, anyway.
    This.

And are we *sure* that a Bat writer can't get Superman shot so Bruce can have feelings? Like, really really sure?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

And are we *sure* that a Bat writer can't get Superman shot so Bruce can have feelings? Like, really really sure?
    Don't do this to me.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Tim drake coming out and going back to Robin complete with a new Robin series 15 years after leaving the role.
    I thought Tim has been continuously published in one form or another in the Batbooks. He didn't just come out as a participant in the Batsidekicks. And there was literally a LEGION of Robins (We Are Robin had EVERYONE be one). Why is it bad that arguably the best and most hardcore one uses the title again? He's the first one who chose to be one, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I thought Tim has been continuously published in one form or another in the Batbooks. He didn't just come out as a participant in the Batsidekicks. And there was literally a LEGION of Robins (We Are Robin had EVERYONE be one). Why is it bad that arguably the best and most hardcore one uses the title again? He's the first one who chose to be one, no?
    I think Dick may technically be the first to choose to be "Robin" . . .