Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    Then why not increase print runs accordingly? They have bean-counters who know how much will sell, and if a book sells out within a month, they meant it could've sold even more. After all, it's a business, and don't they want more money?
    Agreed. The only thing I can think of is they finally started looking at years prior, when we would get huge fire sales due to overprinting and titles that were several years old suddenly getting liquidated.

However, I do think in the past year or two they've overcorrected, leading to the constant sell outs. They still need to find that sweet spot somewhere in the middle I guess...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Agreed. The only thing I can think of is they finally started looking at years prior, when we would get huge fire sales due to overprinting and titles that were several years old suddenly getting liquidated.

However, I do think in the past year or two they've overcorrected, leading to the constant sell outs. They still need to find that sweet spot somewhere in the middle I guess...
    If they continue with their current model it will become an unappealing / frustrating hobby to collect the books. That's when for me personally I will just stpp as there's no point in me having a collection with holes from books that it's been impossible to collect. I have pre ordered on day 1 recently, with Amazon and other suppliers and I am getting orders cancelled now (I'm UK based). Examples of this are with the new GI Joe 6 Inch line from Hasbro. People love them but because of how they've handled availability people are dropping and giving up the line and actually have antagonistic feelings towards it. Hobbies should be fun, not stressful

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    The problem is that those three issues are chapters 1, 4, and 7 out of a nine chapter story spread over multiple titles. So the option are:

1, Include on non consecutive chapters of a story with only a text page explaining what's missing
    2. Include all 9 issues of a story that is already collected, causing everyone who already has that collection to double dip and increasing the price of the collection
    3. Omit the issues, keep the storyline in print on OHC or other format
    I get that, but this is meant to be a Claremont/Lee collaboration showcase, and they've already included other series (X-Factor, Ghost Rider) and non-Lee issues in this two volume set. So yeah, why not go with options 1 or 2? As it stands, this set is incomplete and wasteful if you're looking for Lee issues, who I assume is the cash cow they're trying to capitalize on. Otherwise, they could've just continued with regular UXM omnibi.

Alas, it is what it is.
    Last edited by newparisian; 01-08-2021 at 04:52 AM.

Incredible Member

The one time they worried about double-dipping... :-/
    lol yeah... I see they're reprinting the Inferno omnibus, any rumor of X-tinction reprint?
    Last edited by newparisian; 01-08-2021 at 04:52 AM.

Incredible Member

It is AWESOME though that we're getting so many X-men reprints in these few months... UXM vol 1-4, Inferno, Lee vol 1-2. That's a lot. Hopefully UXM vol 5 drops by the end of the year or perhaps in a year from now.
    Last edited by newparisian; 01-08-2021 at 04:53 AM.

Incredible Member

They're the same company. The benefit of using DCBS, however, is you're guaranteed your copy of whatever book you want since it's been pre-ordered. IST requires us to hover like vultures over our computers every Tuesday hoping a new release is actually available and/or not sold out within 5 mins .
    Question: I understand Tales of Wonder is also part of the IST conglomerate. But pre-ordering from them is not guaranteed. I found this out last year. Is DCBS better in this regard? How far ahead in the future can you pre-order?

Like many, I'm just trying to not miss out on new releases and have them secured beforehand.

Thanks

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    Then why not increase print runs accordingly? They have bean-counters who know how much will sell, and if a book sells out within a month, they meant it could've sold even more. After all, it's a business, and don't they want more money?
    They print more, usually that variant covers disappears from Ist in couple a days and now most of them you can still buy.
    Actually they have 6 omnibuses month to month and how many was year or two ago.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Question: I understand Tales of Wonder is also part of the IST conglomerate. But pre-ordering from them is not guaranteed. I found this out last year. Is DCBS better in this regard? How far ahead in the future can you pre-order?

Like many, I'm just trying to not miss out on new releases and have them secured beforehand.

Thanks
    Since some collections are solicited as much as 6 months in advance, it can vary. However I've been using DCBS for nearly 10 yrs, and have never had a pre-ordered item not show up (unless it was canceled by the publisher). More often than not, you'll get the book at 50% off, which is the best deal anywhere online.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Incredible Member

Since some collections are solicited as much as 6 months in advance, it can vary. However I've been using DCBS for nearly 10 yrs, and have never had a pre-ordered item not show up (unless it was canceled by the publisher). More often than not, you'll get the book at 50% off, which is the best deal anywhere online.
    Are you guaranteed your pre-ordered books? Like, let's say that within your order, one sought-after omni (say UXM v4) comes out next week, but another book comes out a couple months later. And you've selected to have your books shipped in a single package. Do they hold a copy for you of everything you ordered? Like, by the time that latter book comes out, UXM may have sold out elsewhere. Will I still get that copy?

I know this sounds like a weird scenario but I like to order in bulk rather than place a new order every week. I'd rather order for the next 3 months all at once, and relax in the knowledge that books from month 1 are just as likely to be held as books from month 3. I tried this with ToW last year but because of covid some books within a given order were pushed back, and by the time they became available, earlier released books had gone out of stock and I was no longer guaranteed a copy. How far ahead do you yourself order?

ETA: went to DCBS and looked in their preorders section. That just seems to be the latest solicitations, i.e. books for March. Am I unable to order books arriving in Jan or Feb then?
    Last edited by newparisian; 01-08-2021 at 04:53 PM.

Are you guaranteed your pre-ordered books? Like, let's say that within your order, one sought-after omni (say UXM v4) comes out next week, but another book comes out a couple months later. And you've selected to have your books shipped in a single package. Do they hold a copy for you of everything you ordered? Like, by the time that latter book comes out, UXM may have sold out elsewhere. Will I still get that copy?

I know this sounds like a weird scenario but I like to order in bulk rather than place a new order every week. I'd rather order for the next 3 months all at once, and relax in the knowledge that books from month 1 are just as likely to be held as books from month 3. I tried this with ToW last year but because of covid some books within a given order were pushed back, and by the time they became available, earlier released books had gone out of stock and I was no longer guaranteed a copy. How far ahead do you yourself order?

ETA: went to DCBS and looked in their preorders section. That just seems to be the latest solicitations, i.e. books for March. Am I unable to order books arriving in Jan or Feb then?
    It's a 1-month preorder window. Go back to DCBS and pull up the Marvel/DC/whatever preorders, and any book scheduled for March 2021 release will now be available for you to order. Again, sometimes publishers make books available for preorder much further in advance; DCBS doesn't make that call, the publisher does. For instance, I preordered Absolute Swamp Thing by Alan Moore Vol. 1 as soon as it was available. Did it show up with all of the other books on that months order? No, because it was solicited further in advance. It showed up a month or two (or three?) later due to DC's delays. But I got it for $50 instead of $100.

If you're asking if you can preorder a book scheduled for March, two for April, and another for May, and get them all shipped to you in June in one big package, the answer is no unfortunately. DCBS follows a strict schedule based on Previews and what's available in their catalog on a given month. But what savings rack up so quickly, the few extra you may spend on shipping is mitigated. And, more importantly, you get the book you want without having to lose sleep the night before hoping that IST or CGN doesn't sell out in 5 minutes.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Incredible Member

It's a 1-month preorder window. Go back to DCBS and pull up the Marvel/DC/whatever preorders, and any book scheduled for March 2021 release will now be available for you to order. Again, sometimes publishers make books available for preorder much further in advance; DCBS doesn't make that call, the publisher does. For instance, I preordered Absolute Swamp Thing by Alan Moore Vol. 1 as soon as it was available. Did it show up with all of the other books on that months order? No, because it was solicited further in advance. It showed up a month or two (or three?) later due to DC's delays. But I got it for $50 instead of $100.

If you're asking if you can preorder a book scheduled for March, two for April, and another for May, and get them all shipped to you in June in one big package, the answer is no unfortunately. DCBS follows a strict schedule based on Previews and what's available in their catalog on a given month. But what savings rack up so quickly, the few extra you may spend on shipping is mitigated. And, more importantly, you get the book you want without having to lose sleep the night before hoping that IST or CGN doesn't sell out in 5 minutes.
    Gotcha. That makes sense. I'll see about ordering March only books for now. For Jan/Feb I'll keep trying my luck at IST.
    Thank you!

How long does one have to pre-order for a given month? Is it until whenever the following month's solicitations are released?
    Last edited by newparisian; 01-08-2021 at 11:06 PM.

Gotcha. That makes sense. I'll see about ordering March only books for now. For Jan/Feb I'll keep trying my luck at IST.
    Thank you!

How long does one have to pre-order for a given month? Is it until whenever the following month's solicitations are released?
    Correct.

Give DCBS a shot. You don't have to order any more frequently than once a month, and it takes the guesswork out of the game. I was skeptical at first about paying for stuff so far in advance, but now I wouldn't have it any other way. I haven't missed an issue of any of my monthly series (and there's a lot!) in 10 yrs, and the only collections I've missed out on is because I decided to wait for reviews concerning quality/build.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Correct.

Give DCBS a shot. You don't have to order any more frequently than once a month, and it takes the guesswork out of the game. I was skeptical at first about paying for stuff so far in advance, but now I wouldn't have it any other way. I haven't missed an issue of any of my monthly series (and there's a lot!) in 10 yrs, and the only collections I've missed out on is because I decided to wait for reviews concerning quality/build.
    So when I read DCBS policies I was a bit confused. To follow up on something you said, what if you want to order less than once per month? Say you have a month or 2 straight where nothing appeals to you. Do you have an obligation to order every month?

I guess what I'm looking at is this: I want to order omnibus through DCBS in order to be 100% guaranteed - or as close to 100% as possible - to get my book. I have been fortunate so far with ToW and IST but I know my luck could run out. The 50% discount is also attractive. I'm fine ordering TPB from IST because there is not usually such a mad scramble for them. So, is DCBS the way to go for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor_Von_Doom View Post
    So when I read DCBS policies I was a bit confused. To follow up on something you said, what if you want to order less than once per month? Say you have a month or 2 straight where nothing appeals to you. Do you have an obligation to order every month?

I guess what I'm looking at is this: I want to order omnibus through DCBS in order to be 100% guaranteed - or as close to 100% as possible - to get my book. I have been fortunate so far with ToW and IST but I know my luck could run out. The 50% discount is also attractive. I'm fine ordering TPB from IST because there is not usually such a mad scramble for them. So, is DCBS the way to go for me?
    Like SJNeal, I've been ordering from DCBS monthly for a decade. Other than their responsiveness falling apart during COVID, it's been a dream.

You're under no obligation to order every single month. When you order, they're going to ask you to set up a shipping frequency. Weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. When you check out with an order, based on that shipping selection, you'll be charged for one two or three shipments. The way I understand it, you'll receive your shipments at whatever frequency you selected until everything you ordered has been delivered. For example, if you order four omnis with monthly shipping spread across three orders (three shipping charges), and those omnis aren't released in a way that allows them all to go out in three shipments, DCBS is either going to want you to pay an additional shipping charge or they're going to sit on your outstanding items until everything comes in and can go out together.

That might sound complicated, but it's not. If you're making regular IST orders for trades, my recommendation would be to start making one DCBS order a month for everything you want, and going with monthly shipping. Prices on IST will NEVER be lower than the DCBS preorder price, and you get the peace of mind knowing you don't have to fight people for limited stock on release day. It's the "set it and forget it" way to buy your books.

Using DCBS for 10 years? Haha what a nerd.

*checks own IST order history*

oh. oh my. uh