Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man27 View Post
    If anything Spider-Verse and Venom were only successes because they were linked with Marvel.
    How exactly?

Amazing Member

A Spidey vs Venom movie was always gonna happen, but I predict it will be sooner now than later.

Okay, so if I understand this correctly, Holland and the guy who directed (or wrote?) the last two movies are still under contract (I believe it's 1 more solo and 1 appearance or something for Holland?) and Sony has the rights to use what the previous films did creatively, except anything Avengers related, which will be weird, but otherwise this will just be another Spidey film with the same cast and crew. The only variable is what the suits on top say, and if they're half as smart as they think they are they won't mess with a working formula.

If that's the case I still expect a drop in quality, but probably not a substantial one. Given their recent success I get why Sony thinks they can finally do this on their own but....I'm really not sure they have the vision. But still, you just let the same guys in the trenches do what they've been doing and you're going to get largely the same result. And the general audience might not even realize anything has changed hands at all, other than a Tony shaped hole that FFH already started resolving. The movie/s will do fine financially, but won't be capable of matching the sheer BO power Marvel provides.

So.....this Spidey trilogy will go out not with a whimper or a bang, but a...yawn?

As for the comics....I doubt much changes? Parker's the biggest character at Marvel, sidelining him for anything longer than a Superior-style shock gimmick (12-18 months?) seems questionable as hell. Maybe they'll try it but I dunno if I'd bet on it. Company's under new management though, and I have no idea how this guy will handle the situation.
    Last edited by Ascended; 08-20-2019 at 06:39 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Given their recent success I get why Sony thinks they can finally do this on their own but....I'm really not sure they have the vision.
    Recent success? Do you mean "Venom"? Because the success of that film rests entirely on Tom Hardy's shoulders. He was absolutely perfect casting, turning a sow's ear into a silk purse almost by force of will. Everything else about that movie as a trainwreck. Writing, plotting, pacing, just a mess on every level. Hardy is just so damned entertaining in both roles that it's worth watching essentially just to watch him talk to himself.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Recent success? Do you mean "Venom"? Because the success of that film rests entirely on Tom Hardy's shoulders. He was absolutely perfect casting, turning a sow's ear into a silk purse almost by force of will. Everything else about that movie as a trainwreck. Writing, plotting, pacing, just a mess on every level. Hardy is just so damned entertaining in both roles that it's worth watching essentially just to watch him talk to himself.
    Tom Hardy was the PERFECT casting for Eddy, I just don't understand why they had him do such a crappy accent.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man27 View Post
    Of the five Spider-Man movies before the deal, only two were any good. If anything Spider-Verse and Venom were only successes because they were linked with Marvel.
    Which movies? Spider-Man 1, 2 or 3? Amazing Spider-Man 1 or 2?

From the geniuses behind the Lego Movie, Spider-Verse won multiple awards and has an Oscar and a Golden Globe beating out other hit movies like the Incredibles 2. Not to mention the revolutionary animation style it utilized that was universally praised so much so Sony actually tried to copyright it. Spider-Verse was more of a critical success then a financial success. I mean made money and was pretty succesful but its better known for its critical reception and pop culture references.

I guess Venom works because the core concept behind Venom is cool just like Guyver or Devilman etc. i think Venom tied with Spider-Man is way more interesting then the character by himself. The story was basic, the special effects were great to mediocre. I didn't like it but its profit margin was off the charts. The movie had a budget of $100M I've heard reports it was even lower. I doubt they even spent $100M in marketing from what I remember. It made all that back with a $200M+ domestic box office. Then China beat that and they did well in other markets. Venom's internaitonal box office is crazy. I don't know if the sequel will be even better or it was just a fluke, but Sony has no choice but to make a sequel and let it ride
    The J-man

Spider-Man in the comics is safe. It remains to be seen how this awful development does or does not harm the movies.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Which movies? Spider-Man 1, 2 or 3? Amazing Spider-Man 1 or 2?

From the geniuses behind the Lego Movie, Spider-Verse won multiple awards and has an Oscar and a Golden Globe beating out other hit movies like the Incredibles 2. Not to mention the revolutionary animation style it utilized that was universally praised so much so Sony actually tried to copyright it. Spider-Verse was more of a critical success then a financial success. I mean made money and was pretty succesful but its better known for its critical reception and pop culture references.

I guess Venom works because the core concept behind Venom is cool just like Guyver or Devilman etc. i think Venom tied with Spider-Man is way more interesting then the character by himself. The story was basic, the special effects were great to mediocre. I didn't like it but its profit margin was off the charts. The movie had a budget of $100M I've heard reports it was even lower. I doubt they even spent $100M in marketing from what I remember. It made all that back with a $200M+ domestic box office. Then China beat that and they did well in other markets. Venom's internaitonal box office is crazy. I don't know if the sequel will be even better or it was just a fluke, but Sony has no choice but to make a sequel and let it ride
    Again, Sony also made Emoji Movie.

Never forget.

I feel like it should be pointed out that Disney was the one that supposedly sabotaged the deal, maybe other news will come out, but from what's being reported they lowballed the hell out of Sony
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Again, Sony also made Emoji Movie.

Never forget.
    I never saw it so it's kind of hard to remember. They've also made a ton of bad Adam Sandler movies and other films and a number of great films. I think they've made over 4,000 films to date.

Again not worried. The deal could easily be salvaged, and the two best Spider-Man movies were made solely by Sony. If anything Spidey can stop idolizing Ironman and being treated as a pseudo sidekick now.

The only major downside I see is Spider-Man no longer teaming up/interacting with other MCU heroes. We all wanted to see Spidey in some more epic NYC fights alongside the remaining Avengers.

Still early not gonna panic. I think cooler heads will prevail
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member

I feel like it should be pointed out that Disney was the one that supposedly sabotaged the deal, maybe other news will come out, but from what's being reported they lowballed the hell out of Sony
    Well, Disney is basically a hungry behemoth at this point. Basically, at this point, they're closer to the reapers from Mass Effect than anything else.

Mighty Member

For the moment it's not official, it's just rumors and hearsays. i'm sure that the leak is from Disney, to pressure Sony, and in one or two months they will find a solution. Spider-man is too important for the two companies.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

accident? Nothing's going to happen to Spider-Man
    true with his peter tingle he can avoid accidents

thing is I would not be surprised if Sony gets gobbled up by another company. That could put a damper on future deals.

Apple needs to buy a library and CBS/Viacom needs to get bigger. Sony is probably a desirable piece for someone else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    thing is I would not be surprised if Sony gets gobbled up by another company. That could put a damper on future deals.

Apple needs to buy a library and CBS/Viacom needs to get bigger. Sony is probably a desirable piece for someone else.
    If Sony Pictures gets bought out by another company, then Spider-Man rights automatically revert to Marvel-Disney.

But here's the thing, Spider-Man's the biggest thing Sony has and the most attractive part of that. Why would any company buy Sony if they couldn't get their hands on Spidey? Like for instance, Fox in addition to rights of Marvel characters has Simpsons, Futurama, Avatar, and Alien and distribution rights to the original Star wars movies.

So in a way, Sony Pictures is in a safe position. Disney can't buy them after the Fox deal, because after that there was this sense of "That's it for you mouse."