Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

I couldn't be more thrilled with her new villainous origin. She needs this so she can eventually have her redemption. Donna's been my favorite DC character since I was a child and I think I'll enjoy her being sort of a dark reflection of Diana similar to the relationship shared by Buffy and Faith (which is awesome). I do hope they eventually find that sisterly bond. If not, I'll settle for great friends and allies.
    Glad to have my girl back and hopefully she'll give everyone some good villainous beatdowns (lol). If my girl's gonna be a villain right now, she better be one of the best at it;-)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'm not sure how you could make such a statement unless you polled those who stated such and asked them how familiar they are with both properties.

Care to share your methodology?
    Well, the biggest clue is that they never actually detail any similarities and just say "she's not WW, she's Xena" in a disparaging way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Gail Simone villain
    Huh. Which arc was that in? All I really remember from the Gail Simone run are the gorillas if I'm honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    This Donna Troy thing is Xena and Callisto, all over again. Callisto was basically a younger Xena-gone-wrong, and it appears that will be Donna's role in the Wonderverse.
    I would say it's more like the Xena/Livia relationship. Donna will likely have a personal connection to Diana and eventually be redeemed by her. Callisto was never redeemable until the whole angels vs. demons thing (which was awful BTW).

It seems Dc really can't pick the writers. The main problem with Azz run is one how long it was much of his run was filler. Very boring and unless. TO many people other villains being threw away easily. It coul have been told less. The amazons are uncivil and did to have Diana teach them to be. Azz basically made Diana the only non violent. All the amazons have some angry problems and hate Diana. We don't really know why they did to be sex pirates. If they do collected knowledge they should be at least what tech savage. Now the finches, many arelosing interested in them I kinda of thing it has to do with the fact the wife does;nt have much experience.

https://thanley.wordpress.com/2015/0...-second-issue/

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Well, the biggest clue is that they never actually detail any similarities and just say "she's not WW, she's Xena" in a disparaging way.

I don't know Zena much at all but perhaps those that do know both she and Wonder Woman well feel that the similarities are obvious?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I don't know Zena much at all but perhaps those that do know both she and Wonder Woman well feel that the similarities are obvious?
    There are definitely more similarities between Xena and Diana nowadays. Ever since DC started playing up Diana's warrior aspect much more heavily, she and Xena do seem much more similar.

They're both warriors first and foremost. They're both fully willing to kill in combat. In the Xena/Hercules universe, Hercules has a Superman-level no-kill code. Xena's willingness to keep killing bothers him. Both of them tend to walk right into violent encounters. Diplomacy is rarely considered an option. They are both willing to show mercy and compassion at times, but they can be pretty ruthless other times.

Also? Diana, for years, had a throwing weapon (her tiara) and a lasso. Xena has a throwing weapon (her chakram) and a whip.

Just about the biggest differences between modern Wonder Woman and Xena is that Diana didn't begin her career as a villain. Xena was originally a brutal warlord, feared across all of Greece. She eventually was reformed by Hercules and tried to atone for her dark past.

So, they aren't perfectly identical to each other, even today. But there are more similarities these days. Classic Diana bears very little resemblance to Xena.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 01-26-2015 at 03:17 PM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    There are definitely more similarities between Xena and Diana nowadays. Ever since DC started playing up Diana's warrior aspect much more heavily, she and Xena do seem much more similar.

They're both warriors first and foremost. They're both fully willing to kill in combat. In the Xena/Hercules universe, Hercules has a Superman-level no-kill code. Xena's willingness to keep killing bothers him. Both of them tend to walk right into violent encounters. Diplomacy is rarely considered an option. They are both willing to show mercy and compassion at times, but they can be pretty ruthless other times.

Also? Diana, for years, had a throwing weapon (her tiara) and a lasso. Xena has a throwing weapon (her chakram) and a whip.

Just about the biggest differences between modern Wonder Woman and Xena is that Diana didn't begin her career as a villain. Xena was originally a brutal warlord, feared across all of Greece. She eventually was reformed by Hercules and tried to atone for her dark past.

So, they aren't perfectly identical to each other, even today. But there are more similarities these days. Classic Diana bears very little resemblance to Xena.
    I would say that the current movie costume of Gal Gadot is very similar to Xena's, or at the very least they seemed to borrow strongly on Xena's design.

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    I would say that the current movie costume of Gal Gadot is very similar to Xena's, or at the very least they seemed to borrow strongly on Xena's design.
    who in turn borrowed strongly from Diana's

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    who in turn borrowed strongly from Diana's
    Also true!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    True.

Also true!
    It's not like the costume design is even meant to be all that new/original ... when you start talking ancient greek warrior garb it's a pretty straight forward kind of look ... might as well say 300 ripped off Xena