Page 30 of 119 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Anissa's outfit almost looked like Carol Danvers Captain Marvel one.

I haven’t seen the episode yet , but i read a review, and i have some questions/ comments;
    1) gambi worked for the a.s.a? what is that exactly? It might explain how he knows tobias, but not why he’s protecting him. And he must know about jefferson’s hatred towards tobias-i’m not sure why he’s pushing jefferson to continue as black lightning.
    2) jefferson’s headaches; a side effect of his power no doubt, but it seems that they’re just piling crap on him for the sake of drama. I’m having a hard enough time with all the social issues on this show, but i’m not keen on sitting through the various problems jefferson is having just being black lightning.
    3) two episodes ago, henderson was anti black lightning. Now he’s accepting a burner phone from him? Did i miss something?
    4) considering how bad ass tobias is supposed to be, i’m surprised he didn’t kill his father years ago.

Astonishing Member

1) They continue to play it very vague what's actually ailing Jefferson. I'm guessing at this point it's simply something about how his body regulates his power and needing something to help it. His body isn't handling the current as well as it used to and him using more tires him faster. The fancy gadgets ESPECIALLY straining him since his body seems to be powering the whole suit.
    2) No clue what the ASA is but it sounds like some kind of government agency the way it's mentioned.
    3) Yeah sorry no. Jennifer defended herself, end of story Grounding was ridiculous. I think that whole family needs their arms broken to learn some damn humility and respect.
    4) The medicine bit. Meh. Th store shouldn't sell it but you're telling me there's fresh medicine on the shelf and the dude bought it without bothering to check? It cuts both ways. Stock fresh medicine but also do YOUR diligence checking what you're getting isn't expired. I've gotten people bringing me expired stuff they've had at home trying to pass it off like they just bought it.
    5) The Black Signal...so it could've been assumed when they mentioned Catwoman but I guess Batman is known in this universe if that joke worked in any way.
    6) Hmmm alright Anissa's on to something. So...what Black Lightning's powers and metas in Freeland might be due to experiments as opposed to normal metagenes? (Sort of like the Tangent Superman's origin?)

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I haven’t seen the episode yet , but i read a review, and i have some questions/ comments;
    1) gambi worked for the a.s.a? what is that exactly? It might explain how he knows tobias, but not why he’s protecting him. And he must know about jefferson’s hatred towards tobias-i’m not sure why he’s pushing jefferson to continue as black lightning.
    2) jefferson’s headaches; a side effect of his power no doubt, but it seems that they’re just piling crap on him for the sake of drama. I’m having a hard enough time with all the social issues on this show, but i’m not keen on sitting through the various problems jefferson is having just being black lightning.
    3) two episodes ago, henderson was anti black lightning. Now he’s accepting a burner phone from him? Did i miss something?
    4) considering how bad ass tobias is supposed to be, i’m surprised he didn’t kill his father years ago.
    Can't be certain of course, but it seems like a good bet that the ASA will turn out to be some sort of covert organization that is responsible for keeping the lid on the experiments causing the creation of metahumans that Jefferson's dad was investigating when he died. Whether they know and approve of Gambi helping out Black Lightning then or now is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tobias didn't kill Pierce Sr. at their behest rather than at the command of the criminal syndicate he wants back in with and runs the 100 for. Whether they're behind the heroes mentioned in other cities or not, and if so why they let them or Black Lightning operate without sending containment teams in, would also be a good question.

Gambi at least suggests that the headaches and other symptoms are due to a glitch in the suit rather than inherent to Jefferson's powers, but hard to tell if he's being entirely truthful.

Henderson is both doubtful and resentful of BL, and frustrated with how little his corrupt department and other restrictions are letting him do, so he let himself be persuaded to try out this arrangement, which apparently mirrors some grudging cooperation they had back in the day.

As for Tobias and his dad, anyone's guess whether the old man disappeared for a while, or if Tobias was just leery of getting his own hands dirty back in the days when he was legit on the surface as a city councilman or whatever his position was.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Can't be certain of course, but it seems like a good bet that the ASA will turn out to be some sort of covert organization that is responsible for keeping the lid on the experiments causing the creation of metahumans that Jefferson's dad was investigating when he died. Whether they know and approve of Gambi helping out Black Lightning then or now is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tobias didn't kill Pierce Sr. at their behest rather than at the command of the criminal syndicate he wants back in with and runs the 100 for. Whether they're behind the heroes mentioned in other cities or not, and if so why they let them or Black Lightning operate without sending containment teams in, would also be a good question.

Gambi at least suggests that the headaches and other symptoms are due to a glitch in the suit rather than inherent to Jefferson's powers, but hard to tell if he's being entirely truthful.

Henderson is both doubtful and resentful of BL, and frustrated with how little his corrupt department and other restrictions are letting him do, so he let himself be persuaded to try out this arrangement, which apparently mirrors some grudging cooperation they had back in the day.

As for Tobias and his dad, anyone's guess whether the old man disappeared for a while, or if Tobias was just leery of getting his own hands dirty back in the days when he was legit on the surface as a city councilman or whatever his position was.
    Now that i’m Watching it, I have a new question; what made Jefferson think that talking to Henderson WITHOUT his mask or costume was a good idea? I think Gambi was involved in the experiments that may have led to black lightning, so maybe he’s helping him as a way to atone for it.
    Last edited by protege; 02-13-2018 at 09:24 PM.

Astonishing Member

While I can at least see inspiration from Thunder's original look in the show I'm surprised by all the "Look how comics accurate it is" when it doesn't really look all that much like her comic selfs first design.

I had to look at them side by side to even spot what it took from the comics version.

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    Anissa's outfit almost looked like Carol Danvers Captain Marvel one.
    If captain marvel was played by Beyoncé, maybe.

Its a starter costume.

Heh. I appreciated the homage to her first terrible comic book costume.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Retired

I'm going to need this show to do something at the end to let me know that it's over and I haven't just missed some part of the broadcast. Maybe they could have Porky Pig say "tha-tha-that's all folks!"

This felt like the first part of a two part story--they could have indicated that in the title card.

While the cops shouldn't shoot people who are strung out on drugs, they shouldn't use tasers either. There's been many cases where this causes death. Especially if you have someone who already has an elevated heart-rate and now you're shocking them.

I once took a course in Combat Kata and our teacher could inflict so much pain on us students with just one hand, incapicitating any of us, without injuring us at all. Jennifer needs someone who can teach her that. But her big mistake was not telling her parents--she should know better by now--it never pays to lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm going to need this show to do something at the end to let me know that it's over and I haven't just missed some part of the broadcast. Maybe they could have Porky Pig say "tha-tha-that's all folks!"

This felt like the first part of a two part story--they could have indicated that in the title card.

While the cops shouldn't shoot people who are strung out on drugs, they shouldn't use tasers either. There's been many cases where this causes death. Especially if you have someone who already has an elevated heart-rate and now you're shocking them.

I once took a course in Combat Kata and our teacher could inflict so much pain on us students with just one hand, incapicitating any of us, without injuring us at all. Jennifer needs someone who can teach her that. But her big mistake was not telling her parents--she should know better by now--it never pays to lie.
    Not overly familiar with Combat Kata, but before a number of leg issues popped up, I was in a martial arts class for 6 years (we did a little bit of everything, really) and the move she performed is a basic move. But one that, after she had the girl bent over with her arm trapped, could have easily been held there without breaking the wrist. If she struggled, just apply a bit of pressure, and she stops. Very simple and basic.

But heat of the moment for her, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Now that i’m Watching it, I have a new question; what made Jefferson think that talking to Henderson WITHOUT his mask or costume was a good idea? I think Gambi was involved in the experiments that may have led to black lightning, so maybe he’s helping him as a way to atone for it.
    I think it was pretty explicit that due to his costume/power glitches and the resulting headaches and mood swings, he's not exactly using his best judgment in this episode. At least his powers still let him due that voice modulation thing without the suit somehow.

Tasers are not nearly as safe as they are touted as being, no, but they still tend to do less damage than having holes punched in you with bullets, and often even than getting beat down with fists or nightsticks, so really might have been the best option here if the cops were unable to wrestle the guy into submission. We also know in this particular instance that Green Light users can sustain a fair amount of current without permanent damage, don't we?

Retired

I realize this is Anissa's first attempt at a costume. And it's only natural she would go the cosplay route for a super-hero. Seeing her put together the outfit was pretty comical. But I got to say I really appreciated Nafessa Williams in that outfit. She was looking so good, I'm going to miss that foxy look when she upgrades to a Gambi original.

I realize this is Anissa's first attempt at a costume. And it's only natural she would go the cosplay route for a super-hero. Seeing her put together the outfit was pretty comical. But I got to say I really appreciated Nafessa Williams in that outfit. She was looking so good, I'm going to miss that foxy look when she upgrades to a Gambi original.
    She herself said all that needed to be said about trying to find a superhero costume that would properly fit her....