Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I like Jason, but I'm never picking up a Scott Lobdell comic ever again. My feelings towards him are...cynical.
    Can I ask why?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Can I ask why?
    New 52 Teen Titans, New 52 Superboy, Bar-Torr, Tim Drake's revised origin, RHATO Roy and Kori, I really really hate everything he did during that era. He screwed up more of my favorite characters than any other writer I can think of, and I think he singlehandedly destroyed the reputation of Tim with his awful TT run.

I don't think anything he writes is worth my time.

New 52 Teen Titans, New 52 Superboy, Bar-Torr, Tim Drake's revised origin, RHATO Roy and Kori, I really really hate everything he did during that era. He screwed up more of my favorite characters than any other writer I can think of, and I think he singlehandedly destroyed the reputation of Tim with his awful TT run.

I don't think anything he writes is worth my time.
    I don't usually like his writing either, but his RHATO has been good. If you like Jason, I would highly recommend at least trying the RHATO Rebirth book. It is VERY good. If I didn't know it was Lobdell, I would think it was some other great writer. It's seriously good.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

The rest I`ll leave up to taste and yada but Ratho`s Roy can`t be a screw up considering the material that came before that actually, you know, painted the character badly for good while.

I don`t care if someone thinks the cap looks stupid, that isn`t a relevant character point, it`s merely an asthetic.

I like Jason, but I'm never picking up a Scott Lobdell comic ever again. My feelings towards him are...cynical.
    That fair but I feel like if you just avoid writers and artists, you could miss some good things. Just how I feel.

Amazing Member

-RHATO I've always been a Jason fan but all the negativity towards the new 52 version drove me away from comics for a while but after hearing how good Rebirth had been and seeing positive reactions online this helped me both get back into comics as well as back into Rhato. Definitely worth the read.

-Tec' I've always loved the bat family and seeing them all together again is great after many fell into the void for a bit at the beginning of the New 52. It has its ups and downs but is still enjoyable

-Nightwing enjoyable not much else for me to say

-Batman OK but King is kind of loosing me with how he's writing Catwoman and the repetition is getting annoying

Shoutouts for Deathstroke also being good if not really a bat book

That's all I've really read so far

I begin with a 3-way tie because it's impossible for me to list one of these three extraordinary and very different series above the others; they are all that great. They're listed by alpha here so no one of the three appears above the others for any other reason.

1. All-Star Batman
    1. Batman
    1. Detective Comics
    4. Trinity
    5. Nightwing

I dropped RHATO after one issue (sorry Lobdell, but that's all you get given your record) and the Batgirl books after about 5 issues (they just weren't grabbing my attention like the other 20-25 Rebirth books I buy each month).

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post

I dropped RHATO after one issue (sorry Lobdell, but that's all you get given your record) and the Batgirl books after about 5 issues (they just weren't grabbing my attention like the other 20-25 Rebirth books I buy each month).
    You should read the rest of the issues, it's a great book.

BANNED

Nightwing
    Red Hood and the Outlaws
    All Star Batman
    The rest

TBH I enjoyed Batman in Deathstroke, Superman and Trinity more than Tec and Batman. I'm not even sure what Batman's narrative is supposed to be in King's book and he's just there in Tec.

Extraordinary Member

Only commenting on the comics I purchasedeven once; I'm actually a very cheap comic fan, so I can't comment on whole series.

1. TEC. I love the characters, I love the way most of them have been returned to their roots, and I love the pacing and density of the stories so far. We've got a lot of world- and character-building, and the book shifts between quiet, calm lead-ins and cinematic climaxes, with the former going deep enough that the latter punctuates the themes and conflicts while standing out as grand because we've had a moment of quiet before hand. It's also been consistently dialogue heavy instead of a monologue book, which actually pays off by making characters express and show their emotions and reactions rather than just inform us of them.

2. Deathstroke. I'm counting this because I want to and because Batman and Nightwing have cast a shadow across the story. It's freakishly good, though occasionally convuluted, but in a good way. Like TEC, it's also pretty dense and about returning to the core of the characters.

3. Nightwing and All Star Batman. Only bought a single issue apiece, but it was good; I'm basically trade waiting and reading Gotham Spoilers' blog posts.

4. Batman. Satisfied so far, but man, is this pace sloooooowwwww.

5. Batgirl and the Birds of Prey. Readable and decent, but still lacks that punch that made me interested in the brand; Babs-Batgirl still seems underwhelming to my old Oracle-will-beat-a-ninja-down-while-hacking-the-enemy-and-commanding-multiple-teams-while-also-mentoring-multiple-young-heroes tastes.

6. Red Hood And the Outlaws. Despite my loathing for Lobdell's carnage in my favorite generation of heroes and general lack of interest in this direction for Jason, still readable and decent. Lobdell's never actually gone off the reservation in Jason, and the good news for me is that I think he's actually really good with the characters. It's just even with that, his style isn't my preference, much like Grant Morrison and Judd Winick 90% of the time; Lobdell himself is just a bit too monologue-happy and bombastic at the same time for my tastes. It's a very Marvel and Image from the 90's style, and I was raised on the generally quieter and more restrained DC 90's style.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    I don't usually like his writing either, but his RHATO has been good. If you like Jason, I would highly recommend at least trying the RHATO Rebirth book. It is VERY good. If I didn't know it was Lobdell, I would think it was some other great writer. It's seriously good.
    If I can read it from the library for free I'll definitely give it a shot

Of the ones i am reading at the moment

Detective comics
    -was not going to pick this up but decided to at the last minute because I love red robin and spoiler(and orphan kinda)I got the first issue and the art and writing blew me away and I am happy I stayed with it.
    Gotham academy
    -Although not as good as the first series, it is good and I still love it as the characterisation is still on point. Still waiting for #4
    nightwing
    -my opinion on this book is ever changing (I'm still not sure if I liked the raptor arcs or not).However, every time I get I new issue I love it and it beats my expectations.

Of all the ones I read,including just #1. (I picked up almost all rebirth #1 but never planned on collecting the series unless the first issue blew me away.

Tec
    Gotham academy
    Nightwing
    All star batman
    -This was really good and I considered collecting it, however, the double sized limited me. I got the first issue but will probobly get the trade paperback.
    Trinity
    -Lovely art accompanied with lovely writing, however, I did not like how the arc was going at first with them visiting a young Clark,however, it looks like this is only a couple of issues.Going to get trade paperback.
    RHATO
    - got the rebirth issue and the art was nice, however bizarro does not interest me, and it looked like the arc was bizarro centric. Red hood is okay but not my favourite bat family member.
    Batman
    - got the rebirth issue and batman day free issue and it was fine , art fluctuates though. I have heard mixed reviews if this series as well. Also got the NOTMM issues because I was collecting Nightwing and detective comics, and although the crossover was........not great, the batman series cannot be blamed for this.
    Batgirl (
    - I really liked #1 and I really like batgirl. The art had a unique feel to it, but this novelty wore off in the second issue. The story was not very good and the writing was just okay. So I dropped it, however, the variant covers are nice.
    Deathstroke
    -got rebirth #1 but didn't continue. I never planned to read this series and it just was not my type of book, even if it is appealing to others. It sounds like the guest appearances, like Batman and Robin, Creeper and Power Girl are nice, and Rose being in it a lot is a pull factor however, I doubt I will get this.
    Last edited by Red obin; 12-31-2016 at 02:24 AM.

Incredible Member

1) Detective Comics;
    2) All Star Batman;
    3) Nightwing;
    4) Batman;
    5) The rest...

Currently:

-Detective Comics
    -Red Hood and Outlaws
    -Batman
    -Nightwing
    -Teen Titans (for Damian)
    -Batman Beyond
    FIRST I NEED END WITH THE JOKERZ SAGA..
    -All-Star Batman Is something... That for now I can not enjoy.. Is only another adventure of batman...
    -Gotham Academy... DAMN AMY...
    Last edited by adrikito; 12-31-2016 at 07:46 AM.

Tec
    RHATO
    Batman
    Teen Titans
    ASB
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom