Page 98 of 119 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 1779

This is not a knock against the show or the actress, but can I say how tired I am of them hiring actors that don't want to stick around for the long term? It feels like The Flash, and maybe Legends, are the only shows where the entire main cast stuck around (except on Legends when they were rotated out). Arrow lost a couple of people during it's run, and Supergirl has lost its entire supporting cast (I consider Chyler and David to be main co- stars). And Batwoman lost the star of the damned show. It's annoying as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    This is not a knock against the show or the actress, but can I say how tired I am of them hiring actors that don't want to stick around for the long term? It feels like The Flash, and maybe Legends, are the only shows where the entire main cast stuck around (except on Legends when they were rotated out). Arrow lost a couple of people during it's run, and Supergirl has lost its entire supporting cast (I consider Chyler and David to be main co- stars). And Batwoman lost the star of the damned show. It's annoying as hell.
    I mean, she's been with it 3-4 years, I feel like that shows plenty of commitment enough and get someone to a point where they might be considering other options.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

There seems to be an underlaying reason she's not disclosing as part of her departure.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    There seems to be an underlaying reason she's not disclosing as part of her departure.
    That’s the impression I get; I wonder how much her decision factored into the decision to cancel.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Again, not knocking the actress. I won't knock Colton for leaving Arrow; he needed to take care of his mental health. Nor would I blame Willa, as she was horribly misused. And I can't blame any of the season 1 Supergirl cast that didn't make the jump to Vancouver; they signed on with the expectation that they would be shooting in California, and many didn't want to make the move.

I guess, to expound on my complaint, is that it's really three fold. It's a show on the CW, and a superhero show to boot. Actors who sign on should do so with the knowledge that it could run for a long time, and at the very least they should be locked into contracts for a set time period, barring any serious issues that would necessitate them leaving the show. The producers should look for and cast actors that are open to possibly being promoted to a series regular. And the writers should do a much better job servicing the characters, because how many of them ended up leaving because they weren't being used, or marginalized?

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    That’s the impression I get; I wonder how much her decision factored into the decision to cancel.
    It sounded like she wanted to move onto a new phase in her life, and more power to her. But I get the impression that the cancelation came right before she notified the show runners of her decision.

Again, not knocking the actress. I won't knock Colton for leaving Arrow; he needed to take care of his mental health. Nor would I blame Willa, as she was horribly misused. And I can't blame any of the season 1 Supergirl cast that didn't make the jump to Vancouver; they signed on with the expectation that they would be shooting in California, and many didn't want to make the move.

I guess, to expound on my complaint, is that it's really three fold. It's a show on the CW, and a superhero show to boot. Actors who sign on should do so with the knowledge that it could run for a long time, and at the very least they should be locked into contracts for a set time period, barring any serious issues that would necessitate them leaving the show. The producers should look for and cast actors that are open to possibly being promoted to a series regular. And the writers should do a much better job servicing the characters, because how many of them ended up leaving because they weren't being used, or marginalized?
    Following your logic, the producers should have done a better job when they cast ruby rose as bat woman. It seems to me that she didn’t really understand what she was getting into.

Following your logic, the producers should have done a better job when they cast ruby rose as bat woman. It seems to me that she didn’t really understand what she was getting into.
    I don't know if we'll ever really know for sure why she left. But yeah, if she suddenly discovered how hard it was to make a TV show in Vancouver and wanted out, they should have cast someone else in the role. Or re-cast the role when the show went to series. It's not as if it's never been done before- hell, the Elizabeth Weir that debuted in Stargate SG-1 was a different actress who was replaced when Stargate: Atlantis was picked up.

No actor nor company would want to sign a multi season deal. An actor wouldn't want to be locked into something that may inhibit their future opportunities unless the payoff was high, i.e a big budget films. A tv series on the CW is far from that. There's also no guarantee you'll get multiple seasons, so why would a studio want to be responsible for possibly having to pay the actor even if the series doesn't continue.

In other words, there's very good reasons they don't do what you suggest when it come to television.

Extraordinary Member

I’m sure the neck injury mid-season had at least some percentage in her decision.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    No actor nor company would want to sign a multi season deal. An actor wouldn't want to be locked into something that may inhibit their future opportunities unless the payoff was high, i.e a big budget films. A tv series on the CW is far from that. There's also no guarantee you'll get multiple seasons, so why would a studio want to be responsible for possibly having to pay the actor even if the series doesn't continue.

In other words, there's very good reasons they don't do what you suggest when it come to television.
    Actors do that all of the time. You think the cast of Buffy, or TNG, or even Arrow were on a season by season contract? Amell had a six season contract that they renegotiated to get him on board for the last two seasons. I want to say it's normal for shows like this to lock in the talent for at least 5 seasons, and in the past it was incredibly difficult to get out of said contract. Today, it seems producers are more willing to work with talent when they want to be let go, with Colton being a prime example. Roy Harper is a big name in the comics, and he was supposed to be Oliver's partner on the show. But Colton had mental health issues and asked to be let go, and the producers did so to their credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I’m sure the neck injury mid-season had at least some percentage in her decision.
    I've heard people say it had nothing to do with that, but I feel it must have had SOME part. Especially if they made her come back so fast from the surgery.

Actors do that all of the time. You think the cast of Buffy, or TNG, or even Arrow were on a season by season contract? Amell had a six season contract that they renegotiated to get him on board for the last two seasons. I want to say it's normal for shows like this to lock in the talent for at least 5 seasons, and in the past it was incredibly difficult to get out of said contract. Today, it seems producers are more willing to work with talent when they want to be let go, with Colton being a prime example. Roy Harper is a big name in the comics, and he was supposed to be Oliver's partner on the show. But Colton had mental health issues and asked to be let go, and the producers did so to their credit.
    I don't think that's normal, no. Most initial contracts aren't that long term. Maybe after they see they have a hit on their hands but not prior to even shooting the pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I don't think that's normal, no. Most initial contracts aren't that long term. Maybe after they see they have a hit on their hands but not prior to even shooting the pilot.
    Okay, just for giggles I googled "what is a standard contract for an actor in a tv show", because now I'm honestly curious. I found this:

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-libra...contracts.html

What is the Term of Employment?
    The "employment term" clause of the contract will identify the start-dates and end-dates of the acting employment. Depending on the nature of the production, these dates may be pre-set, or contingent on other events.

For example, if an actor is hired for a TV pilot, the contract may require that the actor commit to a number of years of employment if the TV show is picked-up for multiple seasons. Here, it is important for an actor to be aware of the potential time commitment they are agreeing to before signing.
    There's a lot more there. It's actually kind of interesting, for legalese.

That being said, I'm sure there comes a time when the star gets enough stroke to dictate when they wrap things up. Jim Parsons made the decision to end Big Bang Theory. Stephen Amell was ready to wrap things up after Season 6, and Berlanti and Guggenheim convinced him to do 1 and a half more seasons so they could do Elseworlds and Crisis.
    Last edited by AnakinFlair; 11-24-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Actors do that all of the time. You think the cast of Buffy, or TNG, or even Arrow were on a season by season contract?
    Funny you mention specifically TNG, and Buffy.

Stewart signed his contract for TNG fully expecting the show to fail and not last past a season.

Sarah Michelle Gellar threatened to quit in season 5 when Whedon was negotiating for a bigger budget and WB wouldnt put up the money he wanted but UPN did. She didn't want to change networks.

Considering the number of characters who left those shows or cycled out from time to time they also didn't have long committed contracts for the majority of the cast.

Sasha Yar, Pulaski, Wesley, Beverley.they weren't there all the way thru. A few dozen other regulars to boot.

I believe that over the last decade or so the average contract length forgeries regulars is 6 years with an option for a 7th.

Back in the 70's to 90's it was 3 to 5 years. Think about how many great and popular shows only last 3 years. BATMAN, Wonder Woman, Giligans Aisle. Think about others that had massive cast changes every few years, like Mash. Started out with Frank, Henry, and Trapper. Then we had Winchester, Potter, and TJ.