Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Supergirl's civillian name

In your ideal world, would she use Kara or Linda? Lee or Danvers or Lee Danvers?

Extraordinary Member

Personally, I like Linda Danvers.

I prefer Linda Lee. If only to avoid confusion with Carol Danvers.

I like Kara Danvers despite the fact it sounds like Carol Danvers. Or maybe even on some level, because of it. I maintain that naming Mar-Vell's blonde supporting character "Carol Danvers" was a deliberate similarity, that only got more pronounced when she became Ms. Marvel.

Especially if Kara wasn't initially planning to be a super-hero, it makes sense to me that she'd prefer not to use a fake name that she'd have trouble responding to at first.

Plus, it adds another level of distinction between Kara and the other "Linda Danvers" who fused with Matrix.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

My first exposure to the character was the Supergirl movie where she was Linda Lee, so I lean toward that or Linda Lee Danvers.

I liked how Red Daughter introduced herself as Linda Lee when she was faking being a waitress in season 4 of the TV show. I prefer Kara because it sounds a little more exotic than Linda.

I like Kara Danvers. Probably just because that's the name I first knew her by.

Would be quite happy to see Linda Lee show up now and then as a minor identity Kara uses when she's trying to be sneaky, like Batman's Matches Malone or Superman's Chad.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Considering my lack of love for Carol Danvers, I wouldn't mind if Supergirl reclaimed her civilian surname.

Since her Krypton name is Kara, I think her Earth name should be Linda Danvers I don't mind the same last name as with Deadpool and Deathstroke with Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I like Kara Danvers. Probably just because that's the name I first knew her by.

Would be quite happy to see Linda Lee show up now and then as a minor identity Kara uses when she's trying to be sneaky, like Batman's Matches Malone or Superman's Chad.
    I'm sorry, Chad?
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I assume he means Chaz.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Action_Comics_Vol_1_1010

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I liked how Red Daughter introduced herself as Linda Lee when she was faking being a waitress in season 4 of the TV show. I prefer Kara because it sounds a little more exotic than Linda.
    Sounds more modern too. How many teenagers nowadays are called Linda?

Batgirl has actually acknowledged that her name Barbara is old fashioned for a character her age, but at least it's justified by her being named after her mother. There's no such reasoning for Supergirl.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-06-2019 at 08:39 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I'm sorry, Chad?
    Witness the glory that is Chaz. You owe him awe!

Action Comics 1009

He gets his hair like that and grows a beard via kryptonian tech. But Bendis originally wanted Clark to just flex his *really* hard and grow a beard, but DC was to scared of how absurdly powerful Superman would become with the ability to flex facial hair into being. They were right fear it...
    Last edited by Superlad93; 12-06-2019 at 09:14 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Retired

For the sake of getting back at Carol Danvers, there is some sweet revenge in Kara Danvers. But it's stupid--in the way that the SUPERGIRL TV show seems to embrace its stupidity--because Kara is her Kryptonian name. It makes it too obvious that Kar Zor-El and Kara Danvers are one and the same. At least be a little creative by calling her Karen Danvers--or better yet Carol Danvers. Carol would be perfect because it sounds enough like Kara Zor-El that there's an association, yet it's such a common American name that it doesn't call attention to itself.

However, since the classic Supergirl was always Linda Lee Danvers, that's the alias I have the greatest affection for. I got my mind set on her--and for my money Linda was much cuter than Supergirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    For the sake of getting back at Carol Danvers, there is some sweet revenge in Kara Danvers. But it's stupid--in the way that the SUPERGIRL TV show seems to embrace its stupidity--because Kara is her Kryptonian name. It makes it too obvious that Kar Zor-El and Kara Danvers are one and the same. At least be a little creative by calling her Karen Danvers--or better yet Carol Danvers. Carol would be perfect because it sounds enough like Kara Zor-El that there's an association, yet it's such a common American name that it doesn't call attention to itself.

However, since the classic Supergirl was always Linda Lee Danvers, that's the alias I have the greatest affection for. I got my mind set on her--and for my money Linda was much cuter than Supergirl.

Okay, since I'm not a fan of Carol Danvers, I never bothered to look up if she's named Carol Danvers as some twisting of the names Kara Zor-El -> Carol.

Great, now I'm now even more bitter.

Edit: Weird, I don't see your image on your post, but it shows up in my quoted reply. I'm using Chrome, if the mods are at all curious.

Retired

The people that worked at Marvel back then--like Roy Thomas and Gerry Conway--claim it's pure accident. After all, Carol Danvers when she first appeared wasn't a super-hero. It was only about ten years later that she became Ms. Marvel. But that doesn't explain it for me, since they knew about Linda Danvers (aka Kara), so naming a Marvel supporting character for a DC character doesn't seem that incredible (given Thomas and Conway were always putting these kinds of references into their stories). And when I bought MS. MARVEL No. 1, it seemed obvious to me that they wanted a comparison to Supergirl.