Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What do you think Christopher Reeve would have thought of Man Of Steel?

Interesting question, I was thinking of 10 minutes ago.

BANNED

I picture one tear of disappointment sliding down his magnificent cheek. Then he leaves the theater without a word.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I'm sure he would have praised Cavill's work, as well as the rest of the actors, and noted how he was impressed with the special effects (since he did when commenting on Smallville). But I very much doubt he would have appreciated, even Superman's ultimate decision aside, how the movie presented him and his world to the public. Obviously I never knew the man, but his quotes on the character seem to suggest, to me at least, he would have found it overly cynical and uninspiring. And I particularly don't think he would have liked the Earth/human-first, "I'm as American as it gets" bits:

"I don’t want Superman to be accused of being a piece of American propaganda. We’re living in a global village now, and there has to be a new heightened awareness of our interactions as people on this planet.” – The Associated Press (December 25, 1986)
    Buh-bye

Is this going to be yet another bash thread?
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Is this going to be yet another bash thread?
    Nah. If it is then Gael would put her foot down on it.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Only people who genuinely knew Reeve would be able to answer this question, therefore it feels like this is going to be a thread that devolves into a "Man of Steel is great/Man of Steel sucks" debate.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Only people who genuinely knew Reeve would be able to answer this question, therefore it feels like this is going to be a thread that devolves into a "Man of Steel is great/Man of Steel sucks" debate.
    And the sad thing is. Using Reeves name for it.

In general you should never try to say 'This dead person would like/disaprove X.'
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Whether he would have liked it or not... I don't know, nor do I really think it matters too much.

Reeve was a phenomenal actor, and he obviously thought a lot about the characters he played, but Cavill wasn't really playing the same character any more than Reeve was playing the exact same character Reeves played in the 50s. The world changes, for better or worse, and we've got all these interpretations of an idea to add to our concept of what "Superman" means. Or alternately, to ignore them.

All of that said, I agree that there is no good, meaningful way for any of us to try to answer this question, since none of us knew Christopher Reeve. Even if we did, I don't think it'd be very fair to try to speak for him.
    I can imagine honest intentions behind the question, but it's the sort of thing that seems likely to evolve into something undesirable.

I think he would have liked it. He liked Smallville enough to appear in it
    A new Superman for a new age
    Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share -- I'll never stop fighting. Ever.
    -Superman, Action Comics #775

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    I'm sure he would have praised Cavill's work, as well as the rest of the actors, and noted how he was impressed with the special effects (since he did when commenting on Smallville). But I very much doubt he would have appreciated, even Superman's ultimate decision aside, how the movie presented him and his world to the public. Obviously I never knew the man, but his quotes on the character seem to suggest, to me at least, he would have found it overly cynical and uninspiring. And I particularly don't think he would have liked the Earth/human-first, "I'm as American as it gets" bits:

"I don’t want Superman to be accused of being a piece of American propaganda. We’re living in a global village now, and there has to be a new heightened awareness of our interactions as people on this planet.” – The Associated Press (December 25, 1986)
    Probably the closest we could get to an answer from him. Obviously we couldn't know what he would say but we could get a semi-educated guess based on what he has said before about the character and the role.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post

That's an interesting quote, considering the first movie sort of had a "true american" moment too with the warden.
    And I mean that in a genuine fashion, not in a "Reeve is an hypocrite" or whatever.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

All-New Member InsanityIsTrueSanity's Avatar

He'd probably praise the special effects. I'm sure Reeve would've loved it. Actors enjoy other Hollywood actor's performances, they tend to not like their own. He could've very well said, Man of Steel was the better film, I don't know.

Though, I have a feeling that if Reeve had said Man of Steel was a great film (or the better film) that the amount of people who hate it would decrease tremendously... simply because Christopher Reeve said it.

I'm sure there would be parts that he'd genuinely enjoy, and he'd be professional and respectful, about the rest of the film.

I'd imagine that he might have issue with the level of violence and the amount of destruction, but that's understandable -- he was the Superman of a different era. Adam West has had similar issues with the newer Batman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by InsanityIsTrueSanity View Post
    He'd probably praise the special effects. I'm sure Reeve would've loved it. Actors enjoy other Hollywood actor's performances, they tend to not like their own. He could've very well said, Man of Steel was the better film, I don't know.

Though, I have a feeling that if Reeve had said Man of Steel was a great film (or the better film) that the amount of people who hate it would decrease tremendously... simply because Christopher Reeve said it.
    Doubt it, it would still have a crap script. If anything, his credibility when it comes to these stuff would decrease.

I wonder what Richard Donner thinks of it, though. Wish I was in a position where I could ask him.