Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Well I don't think Mentor is dead in either instance. As a 1st generation Earth born Eternal, he is as powerful as Zuras, and certainly capable of regenerating and reconstituting himself from just about anything. One might argue that at least until his original body was turned to stone by Warlock, that Thanos was less powerful than his father.
    I can't speak for modern day depictions, but Mentor has traditionally been shown to be less powerful than Zuras and other Eternals like Thanos. (Don't forget that the reason why Drax exists was because A'lars asked his father, Cronos to create him to deal with Thanos, who was more powerful than all of the Titans, including A'lars. In theory Mentor had the potential to be as powerful as any Eternal, but his personality and easygoing nature prevented him from truly delving into and mastering the Eternal disciplines. That's rather ironic given his nom de guerre.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I can't speak for modern day depictions, but Mentor has traditionally been shown to be less powerful than Zuras and other Eternals like Thanos. (Don't forget that the reason why Drax exists was because A'lars asked his father, Cronos to create him to deal with Thanos, who was more powerful than all of the Titans, including A'lars. In theory Mentor had the potential to be as powerful as any Eternal, but his personality and easygoing nature prevented him from truly delving into and mastering the Eternal disciplines. That's rather ironic given his nom de guerre.
    That's one of the reasons i didn't like Thanos Rising. It depicted the Titanian Eternals as average humans with weird clothes.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    That's one of the reasons i didn't like Thanos Rising. It depicted the Titanian Eternals as average humans with weird clothes.
    Yes, I can see why that would be bothersome. IIRC, A'lars travelled to Saturn with a group of like-minded Eternals from Earth who were themselves endowed with cosmic abilities. All of their progeny should likewise be endowed with cosmic powers.

More irony here, as A'lars meets the lone survivor of the Uranian Eternals, Sui-san. The Uranian Eternals were never endowed with cosmic energy powers, although many of them had evolved abilities given the fact that they were the pinnacle of human development. (Back then the prevailing notion was that eventually in time all humans would have advance psionic and other abilities as a consequence of evolution.) So if anyone should have less powerful offspring, it should have been in the form of A'lars and Sui-san's kids, Thanos and Starfox.

I haven't read the early history of Thanos, but my guess is that they were indeed less powerful, which is one of the reasons why Thanos sought out physical augmentations including cyborg parts to increase his abilities. It's probably also why he's constantly searching for absolute power. Not just so that he can be Death's equal, but because deep down being powerless scares the crap out of him. It's why it was so fitting that Warlock turned him into inert, semi-sentient stone the first time. I wish they had chosen a similar option this time around.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 08-24-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Mighty Member

But A'lars isn't less powerful, that's the point. He may not USE his powers like his brother, but he does have that power. His ability to reconstitute is inherent as an Eternal, not dependent on his development of his abilities. One would argue that he used his power to develop his intellect, and is why Thanos sought his advice recently on his condition, and ensured he was a casualty in the original IG.

Yes, I can see why that would be bothersome. IIRC, A'lars travelled to Saturn with a group of like-minded Eternals from Earth who were themselves endowed with cosmic abilities. All of their progeny should likewise be endowed with cosmic powers.

More irony here, as A'lars meets the lone survivor of the Uranian Eternals, Sui-san. The Uranian Eternals were never endowed with cosmic energy powers, although many of them had evolved abilities given the fact that they were the pinnacle of human development. (Back then the prevailing notion was that eventually in time all humans would have advance psionic and other abilities as a consequence of evolution.) So if anyone should have less powerful offspring, it should have been in the form of A'lars and Sui-san's kids, Thanos and Starfox.

I haven't read the early history of Thanos, but my guess is that they were indeed less powerful, which is one of the reasons why Thanos sought out physical augmentations including cyborg parts to increase his abilities. It's probably also why he's constantly searching for absolute power. Not just so that he can be Death's equal, but because deep down being powerless scares the crap out of him. It's why it was so fitting that Warlock turned him into inert, semi-sentient stone the first time. I wish they had chosen a similar option this time around.
    I think the best ending for Thanos was in Marvel The End where the ultimate nihilist became the ultimate healer by sacrificing himself to bring back the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The main problem is just overuse. The more Thanos got used the more his character was hurt. Thanos has always worked better when he gets a little breather space between apperances, and that is just not what Marvel does anymore. Marvel with their "if a little is good then a lot is better" approach has tarnished the character. It is the smae with Doom and Galactus. They use them so much that they have to come up with "new" angles to take to keep it fresh, and 9 times out of 10 those "new" angles go against the past characterazation and start to make the characters a confusing mess of contridictions because sooner or latter those characters get slapped back to their original characterzation which renders all the "new" angles moot.

Marvel just needs to give villains a little time to breath now and then.
    Oh i agree. Galactus becoming a life bringer could have been a nice ending for the character and make him a supporting figure for Marvel space heroes, but Duggan reverted him back into the world devourer and Surfer is his herald once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The main problem is just overuse. The more Thanos got used the more his character was hurt. Thanos has always worked better when he gets a little breather space between apperances, and that is just not what Marvel does anymore. Marvel with their "if a little is good then a lot is better" approach has tarnished the character. It is the smae with Doom and Galactus. They use them so much that they have to come up with "new" angles to take to keep it fresh, and 9 times out of 10 those "new" angles go against the past characterazation and start to make the characters a confusing mess of contridictions because sooner or latter those characters get slapped back to their original characterzation which renders all the "new" angles moot.

Marvel just needs to give villains a little time to breath now and then.
    I believe that the Thanos subplot of Infinity was a Marvel mandate as it does absolutely nothing for Hickman's storyline. The part about the war with the builders makes sense as part of his overall narrative, but I don't think that was supposed to be an event. I may be wrong (and I probably am) but as a reader looking in, it almost feels Marvel went to him, said "We need an event to bring the Inhumans to the forefront as a middle finger to Fox and include Thanos!" Thus, he needed a kid to 'search for' which was setup with the awful Rising. But after the Terrigen bomb exploded, you'll notice the Inhumans aren't really used in Hickman's story again except for Blackbolt and Thanos might be present, but there's nothing exactly Thanos about him, he could have easily been replaced by any other powerful space bad guy like Blastaar or Tyrant. Even in Secret Wars, Thanos wasn't there for any reason other than to get killed off by Doom to show how powerful Doom was... like we didn't get that already from everything else?

Hopefully the Infinity Ending, or whatever it's called, the third chapter of Starlin and Davis' new OGN trilogy, gives his Thanos a nice and definitive ending, because we're not going to get it with Marvel turning him into a goth tinged purple rage monster. The only thing that matters to them is he was the villain in Infinity Gauntlet, and that's it. I'm really curious how Thanos is going to be handled in the comics now. Since Avengers post credits scene, he's been in at least a comic book of some sort each month, whether he was the antagonist in the story, or his own title, or a bunch of cameos or both. Now that Thanos' story is done, I wonder if after some current arcs we'll see him fade away somewhat. Once upon a time, Thanos was a well respected villain/antihero among niche circles of fans who fell under the spell of Starlin stories, and he was used sparingly, when Thanos showed up, you knew **** was going to hit the fan (well, except Ka-Zar, Thor and Celestial Quest). He wasn't brought out that often, but when he was, whooboy! But now, ****, he's been in so many books and is constantly beaten, at this point J. Jonah Jameson could probably beat him just by sneezing on him. It's a huge disservice to who the character was. Here's to hoping they don't do the same thing to whoever the next big bad in the MCU is.

Starlin remains somewhat short-tempered when interviewers ask him about Thanos and Marvel editorial, but if he truly means to give a proper ending to Thanos, I'm all for it. Keith Giffen and Ron Marz aside, I haven't found that Marvel has any authors willing to grant Thanos the wit, intellect, pragmatism and trippy sense of wonder that Starlin imbues his creation with. Thanos is best left in Starlin's hands, as other creators tend to simply retread either his cosmic cube phase from the seventies or The Infinity Gauntlet (and only the first 4 issues of the series at that while glossing over the character development).

I believe that the Thanos subplot of Infinity was a Marvel mandate as it does absolutely nothing for Hickman's storyline. The part about the war with the builders makes sense as part of his overall narrative, but I don't think that was supposed to be an event. I may be wrong (and I probably am) but as a reader looking in, it almost feels Marvel went to him, said "We need an event to bring the Inhumans to the forefront as a middle finger to Fox and include Thanos!" Thus, he needed a kid to 'search for' which was setup with the awful Rising. But after the Terrigen bomb exploded, you'll notice the Inhumans aren't really used in Hickman's story again except for Blackbolt and Thanos might be present, but there's nothing exactly Thanos about him, he could have easily been replaced by any other powerful space bad guy like Blastaar or Tyrant. Even in Secret Wars, Thanos wasn't there for any reason other than to get killed off by Doom to show how powerful Doom was... like we didn't get that already from everything else?

Hopefully the Infinity Ending, or whatever it's called, the third chapter of Starlin and Davis' new OGN trilogy, gives his Thanos a nice and definitive ending, because we're not going to get it with Marvel turning him into a goth tinged purple rage monster. The only thing that matters to them is he was the villain in Infinity Gauntlet, and that's it. I'm really curious how Thanos is going to be handled in the comics now. Since Avengers post credits scene, he's been in at least a comic book of some sort each month, whether he was the antagonist in the story, or his own title, or a bunch of cameos or both. Now that Thanos' story is done, I wonder if after some current arcs we'll see him fade away somewhat. Once upon a time, Thanos was a well respected villain/antihero among niche circles of fans who fell under the spell of Starlin stories, and he was used sparingly, when Thanos showed up, you knew **** was going to hit the fan (well, except Ka-Zar, Thor and Celestial Quest). He wasn't brought out that often, but when he was, whooboy! But now, ****, he's been in so many books and is constantly beaten, at this point J. Jonah Jameson could probably beat him just by sneezing on him. It's a huge disservice to who the character was. Here's to hoping they don't do the same thing to whoever the next big bad in the MCU is.

Starlin remains somewhat short-tempered when interviewers ask him about Thanos and Marvel editorial, but if he truly means to give a proper ending to Thanos, I'm all for it. Keith Giffen and Ron Marz aside, I haven't found that Marvel has any authors willing to grant Thanos the wit, intellect, pragmatism and trippy sense of wonder that Starlin imbues his creation with. Thanos is best left in Starlin's hands, as other creators tend to simply retread either his cosmic cube phase from the seventies or The Infinity Gauntlet (and only the first 4 issues of the series at that while glossing over the character development).
    Thanos had a pretty important role in Time Runs Out though, leading the Cabal. And Infinity sort of brought him into the mix. Plus, the Builders were kinda boring and I think Thanos was needed to actually give us a compelling antagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Thanos had a pretty important role in Time Runs Out though, leading the Cabal. And Infinity sort of brought him into the mix. Plus, the Builders were kinda boring and I think Thanos was needed to actually give us a compelling antagonist.
    The problem is Hickman wrote Thanos like a thuggish and blunt version of Mongul who jumps in front of reality warping entities that are obviously above his League and says something moronic. That's not Thanos' M.O., Pre-2012 Thanos would have tried to distract God Emperor Doom by using the heroes as expendable pawns/red shirts.

The problem is Hickman wrote Thanos like a thuggish and blunt version of Mongul who jumps in front of reality warping entities that are obviously above his League and says something moronic. That's not Thanos' M.O., Pre-2012 Thanos would have tried to distract God Emperor Doom by using the heroes as expendable pawns/red shirts.
    Though I think Hickmans Thanos overall was okay (not the best and not the worst), I'll agree his "plan" to deal with Doom was pretty ill-conceived.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Though I think Hickmans Thanos overall was okay (not the best and not the worst), I'll agree his "plan" to deal with Doom was pretty ill-conceived.
    I firmly believe Bendis' Thanos is the absolute worst version of the character.

I hope he doesn't touch Green Lantern and DC Cosmic.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 08-15-2019 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    But A'lars isn't less powerful, that's the point. He may not USE his powers like his brother, but he does have that power. His ability to reconstitute is inherent as an Eternal, not dependent on his development of his abilities. One would argue that he used his power to develop his intellect, and is why Thanos sought his advice recently on his condition, and ensured he was a casualty in the original IG.
    In Jim Starlin's Captain Marvel, Mentor knocked out a whole squadron of mooks with an energy wave. He's a badass demigod grandpa.

BANNED

Probably a good place to ask.... but why did Lady Death change her skeleton form to a more human form when thanos got the gauntlet and he surpassed her (back in thanos quest)?

Is that her "true" form or is it becuse it's what thanos wanted her to look like? Since he later built a shrine in her honor which had both the human and the skelly look

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    Probably a good place to ask.... but why did Lady Death change her skeleton form to a more human form when thanos got the gauntlet and he surpassed her (back in thanos quest)?

Is that her "true" form or is it becuse it's what thanos wanted her to look like? Since he later built a shrine in her honor which had both the human and the skelly look

I really don't know since it's never explained. Maybe Starlin and Lim wanted to show her displeased face.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

reading death of captain marvel again
    Mar-vell just before death says he doesn't need the pleasing illusion and reveals death's skeleton face with a wave of his hand

I think starlin was partly saying that thanos was getting the comforting illusion once he'd become above death rather than her true form.