Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Which Supergirl is your favorite Version

Hello
    would like to know which Supergirl do you prefer?

I LOVED the Pre-Flashpoint Kara, who trained with the Amazons, created her own outfits and was Cassies best friend.
    Never read much of the Rebirth Supergirl, but I think the Pre-Flashpoint Kara was perfect with her Cat..

Lightbulb

Pre-COIE Kara is my favorite version of the character . Her demise was one of the best DC deaths of all time. It made me cry for real when I first read the issue.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-29-2019 at 09:48 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Pre-COIE Kara is my favorite version of the character . Her demise was one of the best DC deaths of all time. It made me cry for real when I first read the issue.
    Strangely enough her death wasn't the thing to get me. It was her appearance in Whatever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow where the Legion brought the younger character back to a time after her death and Superman has to deal with it while not letting on why her older self isn't around. That scene always brings tears to my eyes.

And yeah the original Kara Zor-El Supergirl from her "secret weapon" days is my favorite Supergirl. Unless you count Power Girl in the same category and then that early Kara Zor-L Pre-Crisis knocks the original down to second place.

Retired

Me too, pre-COIE. But I'll freely admit there was a lot of screwed up continuity and stuff that didn't make sense with her character. And it seems like everyone that's tried to revive Supergirl believes that's the feature, because every other version has been just as confusing.

I'd say that the Otto Binder and Jim Mooney stories had the best sense of what the character should be--a girl fantasy character. I might like the other stuff that was done with her after that, but every new creative team was trying to reinvent her, so she had lots of jobs, lived in lots of different places, went through several costumes and never had the same clear direction that she had early on.

Matrix Supergirl, written by PAD. Great character/book.

Astonishing Member

I wouldn't call Cir El my favorite but I was fond of her character and would love to see her make a comeback in the comics.

My favorite incarnation of Supergirl was the one in the DCAU. Her personality was consistent. Comic Kara is all over the place when it comes to personality.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    My favorite incarnation of Supergirl was the one in the DCAU. Her personality was consistent. Comic Kara is all over the place when it comes to personality.
    Hell, that's how MOST Big Two characters have been written since about the mid-90s. Many no longer have distinct personalities that serve as a template for writers to follow and keep the character distinctive and true to character; their personalities just haphazardly change to conveniently fit the story that the writer is trying to tell every time a different character touches the character.

While I love Silver Age Supergirl, my favorite was Linda Danvers from Peter David's run. I'm always a little sad there was no place for her after David's run. I would've let her survive the Crisises as a depowered human and let her be Kara's guardian.

Linda Danvers/Matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    While I love Silver Age Supergirl, my favorite was Linda Danvers from Peter David's run. I'm always a little sad there was no place for her after David's run.
    I'd just change the costume and call her Flamebird. Connect her to the Kryptonian deity instead of the Earth born angel.

supergirl-v4-17.jpg
    Last edited by Midnighter; 08-30-2019 at 09:38 PM.

White shirt Superman TAS/Justice League animated series one

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Probably Pre-CoIE or the Supergirl from Sterling Gates's run.

STAS/JLU gave us a pretty good halfway in personality between her and Power Girl, but that backstory was such a mess just so Clark can remain the last Kryptonian. Matrix was similarly muddled with "but muh Clark is the last one."

Give him his cousin and the dog who Jor-El also had time to build a rocket for instead of one bigger rocket to house his son and wife. And the cat. No horse, though. Kara needs a better love interest than Comet.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    Linda Danvers/Matrix.

I'd just change the costume and call her Flamebird. Connect her to the Kryptonian deity instead of the Earth born angel.

supergirl-v4-17.jpg
    Interestingly, I just read where someone suggested the Flamebird name for Connor. It makes a lot more sense for Matrix if she has the flame wings. Sadly I can't see DC ever using her again, but I think the name would work.

Retired

Matrix was too confusing. She came out of a story that was supposed to repair a continuity hole for the Legion and wasn't supposed to be referenced after that. If they wanted a new Supergirl, there were easier ways to get one without going that route. I defy anyone to give me the 411 on Matrix/Supergirl/Angel/Linda Danvers, in a few simple sentences.

While the 1990s were admirable for their work ethic and strong organizational skills, they had this habit of picking up whatever loose bits were hanging around and canmibalizing those to make a new hero or villain.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 08-31-2019 at 07:32 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Pre-COIE Kara Zor-El. So basically Kara in general. Supergirl ain't Supergirl to me unless she's Superman's cousin from Krypton.

All the summaries I read on Matrix sound really dumb. But I read the first of the new trades of PAD's Supergirl series and it was pretty interesting on its own. I just think of it as an extended elseworld. It'd be interesting for a non-Super related Veritgo-style angelic superheroine, but it really has nothing to do with the Super mythos. Hence why they pretty much dropped it and the rest of the franchise isn't really phased by its absence.

Matrix and Linda I feel would have worked better if Kara hadn't been wiped from continuity and they were actual legacies for her instead of retconned replacements. They kind of represent DC's weird, convoluted methods to avoid the simple mythos of their past. Meanwhile, the DCAU essentially said "well if we can't make her Kryptonian, let's make her a Daxamite" and called it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Matrix was too confusing. She came out of a story that was supposed to repair a continuity hole for the Legion and wasn't supposed to be referenced after that. If they wanted a new Supergirl, there were easier ways to get one without going that route. I defy anyone to give me the 411 on Matrix/Supergirl/Angel/Linda Danvers, in a few simple sentences.

While the 1990s were admirable for their work ethic and strong organizational skills, they had this habit of picking up whatever loose bits were hanging around and canmibalizing those to make a new hero or villain.
    Few sentences. Hmmmm.

A being from another pocket universe who shape shifts comes to Earth Prime and, to honor Superman, takes the form of a Supergirl. Later, to save the life of a troubled teen, she/it merges with Linda Danvers to become a new Supergirl with supernatural ties.

That was easy. And, yes, PAD Supergirl is my fave as well. A very deep character.