Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pugbuddy View Post
    This became a staple under Fraction for no reason at all, really. Aaron took it to the nth level. If he doesn't, his general storyline doesn't really work. If Odin was actually wise and fatherly (even if very strict at times) and Thor was actually respectful of Odin (even if strong-headed), the whole storyline falls apart when Thor and Odin simply figure out what was going on early on.

Yeah, the story-telling device isn't all that new but it's used on Thor far more than other characters IMHO.

True. His nobility is the biggest loss.

Yes.

The very best Thor/Hulk fight ever, IMHO!
    Kurt Busiek certainly knew how to write Thor and Carol Danvers back then. If this was written today, Carol would be the one giving Hyperion an hard time while Thor gets one-shotted.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 03-28-2020 at 10:56 AM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

^ and yes, nothing tops that part from Avengers Versus Defenders for me.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    It's not hatred, but it's perhaps a stable of creators who are ill-equipped to handle conceptual cosmic fantasy and mythical and/or mystical characters. When in doubt, they try as much to "humanize" them as possible. Because, y'know, a virtually immortal character who traverses the universe and has life-altering mystical abilities would think exactly like a human being would. JMS spoke of this when he took on Thor. That other writers wanted nothing to do with Asgard. The Marvel Knights and Ultimate line in the early 00's greatly influenced the style of characterization going forward, for better or worse.
    I definitely agree with most of this, The way he talks under some modern writers especially bothers me.

Thor should never say "I'm the f***** God of Thunder" but he says it at least twice under Aaron, it just feels fundamentally wrong, Thor's manner of speaking like a hammy medieval knight was a fun part of the character and completely disregarding it is lame.

Have at thee base villain! Face the righteous wrath of the god of thunder and his enchanted uru mallet.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I definitely agree with most of this, The way he talks under some modern writers especially bothers me.

Thor should never say "I'm the f***** God of Thunder" but he says it at least twice under Aaron, it just feels fundamentally wrong, Thor's manner of speaking like a hammy medieval knight was a fun part of the character and completely disregarding it is lame.

Have at thee base villain! Face the righteous wrath of the god of thunder and his enchanted uru mallet.
    I certainly don't mind phasing out the Shakespearean English from his vernacular. I think JMS and especially Hickman get his dialogue right. It's very proper English with a rich vocabulary, but it's modernized. I think in Hickman's Avengers run there was a moment where they were tied up early by the antagonists. The female antagonist was commenting about how Thor's biology isn't exactly normal and if his essence is ethereal. It's a simple comment that lends weight to his godhood. Also when she kisses Thor, he then replies with a very Thor comment that was a nice touch; "You will be spared in the reckoning." Yes, he comments on their vengeance but also has a moment to savor the affection. Under Fraction or Aaron he would've said something like "Delicious, but we're still going to smite your asses once we get free" or some other cheesy line. Strangely enough, the Earth's Mightiest Hero cartoon also nails his speech pattern quite well. It peppers in a few Shakespearean style lines with modern proper English. I certainly wouldn't dog all of the post-JMS Thor scribes as editorial decree (what's left of it) has been heavily influenced by the MCU films as well for purported "synergy."

Reading that old Avengers issue against the Squadron Supreme, it's like the antithesis of the "Worf effect." Hyperion and Zarda go straight for the big gun to try and take him out, but the rest of the team (led by Cap) realize they need to get Thor free of the double-team to stand a chance at victory. Despite Hyperion's boasting, he gets another powerful antagonist to make sure they get the jump. It also showcases the Avengers' teamwork in a nice way with Wonder Man, Carol and Wanda trying to help their teammate. No one gets crapped on.

I certainly don't mind phasing out the Shakespearean English from his vernacular. I think JMS and especially Hickman get his dialogue right. It's very proper English with a rich vocabulary, but it's modernized. I think in Hickman's Avengers run there was a moment where they were tied up early by the antagonists. The female antagonist was commenting about how Thor's biology isn't exactly normal and if his essence is ethereal. It's a simple comment that lends weight to his godhood. Also when she kisses Thor, he then replies with a very Thor comment that was a nice touch; "You will be spared in the reckoning." Yes, he comments on their vengeance but also has a moment to savor the affection. Under Fraction or Aaron he would've said something like "Delicious, but we're still going to smite your asses once we get free" or some other cheesy line. Strangely enough, the Earth's Mightiest Hero cartoon also nails his speech pattern quite well. It peppers in a few Shakespearean style lines with modern proper English. I certainly wouldn't dog all of the post-JMS Thor scribes as editorial decree (what's left of it) has been heavily influenced by the MCU films as well for purported "synergy."

Reading that old Avengers issue against the Squadron Supreme, it's like the antithesis of the "Worf effect." Hyperion and Zarda go straight for the big gun to try and take him out, but the rest of the team (led by Cap) realize they need to get Thor free of the double-team to stand a chance at victory. Despite Hyperion's boasting, he gets another powerful antagonist to make sure they get the jump. It also showcases the Avengers' teamwork in a nice way with Wonder Man, Carol and Wanda trying to help their teammate. No one gets crapped on.
    Marvel editors needs to take their job and the characters more seriously seriously. Marvel needs a Jim Shooter 2.0

EMH probably had one of the best depictions of Thor and his mythos in general in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    EMH probably had one of the best depictions of Thor and his mythos in general in my opinion.
    And the best depiction of Mar-Vell outside of comics.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    And the best depiction of Mar-Vell outside of comics.
    I won't argue with that .

A better question is if modern writers are basing Thor too much from the movies. The movies must hate him to a fault. He is now a complete embarrassment in the movies and if he is going to be appearing in GOTG 3, then the worst is yet to come for Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    A better question is if modern writers are basing Thor too much from the movies. The movies must hate him to a fault. He is now a complete embarrassment in the movies and if he is going to be appearing in GOTG 3, then the worst is yet to come for Thor.
    Tell me about it. He finally became awesome in Infinity War but then they ruined the character in Endgame.

I have no interest in seeing Love and Thunder and Aaron's waifu Fosthor on the big screen.

LOL...CBR just put out this list to troll Thor fans

https://www.cbr.com/xmen-more-powerf...marvel-comics/

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    LOL...CBR just put out this list to troll Thor fans

https://www.cbr.com/xmen-more-powerf...marvel-comics/
    Even Chris Claremont wrote a story where Thor's weather powers are stronger than Storm's before knocking her out with a kiss.

Hemsworth is fundamentally a comedic actor. He can do dramatic when he has to, but he appears to become bored with dramatic jobs very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Hemsworth is fundamentally a comedic actor. He can do dramatic when he has to, but he appears to become bored with dramatic jobs very quickly.
    Yeah, Hemsworth was pretty much done with the character by Ragnarok. Now he gets to basically play Hercules .

I thought Hemsworth did a good job with the dramatic in Infinity War and Endgame. Which are also the only Avengers films where it feels like Thor is there for a reason beyond exposition.