Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Llyron would work well to.
    he was given radiation poisoning by Radioactive Man. and he has none of Namor's other abilities.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 04-30-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    why would he need to forgive them?
    I was commenting on the previous posts which suggested that Namor could work with the Squadron, possibly joining them as their "Aquaman." I didn't think that would be plausible, even if they're a different alternate Earth Squadron, if we were talking about the same Namor that died at Hyperion's hands. (Thanks for the additional info, by the way.) it now looks like we're talking about a different timeline Namor. I still doubt that he'd work with the team, but Marvel has concocted more ridiculous plots than that, I suppose.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 04-30-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I was commenting on the previous posts which suggested that Namor could work with the Squadron, possibly joining them as their "Aquaman." I didn't think that would be plausible, even if they're a different alternate Earth Squadron, if we were talking about the same Namor that died at Hyperion's hands. (Thanks for the additional info, by the way.) it now looks like we're talking about a different timeline Namor. I still doubt that he'd work with the team, but Marvel has concocted more ridiculous plots than that, I suppose.
    nope. same timeline. i'm the one who made the aquaman suggestion. my point is that the current squadron members aren't there willingly. why would it be different for Namor? secondly, the same Squadron that killed Namor brought him back to life. he already worked with them. the series was canceled soon after. Namor isn't opposed to working with people who have made attempts on his life (and vice versa). it's all about the goal (or a shared enemy) with him. but i wasn't suggesting that Namor was going to become friends with the Squadron. i just noticed that the same writer has been using the Atlanteans and the a mind-controlled Squadron. Namor is marvel's Aquaman. the Squadron doesn't have an Aquaman currently. so the logical next step...

BANNED

if he does join mephisto no doubt will corrupt him into becoming a hideous mer creature.

Mighty Member

Wait- when did the squadron kill namor? I think he would easily overshadow them, making them all expendable.
    It was early in the Robinson ("All New All Different" era) "Squadron Supreme". It was undone later in that same run, using some kind of magical time travel.

Hyperion and Namor reconciled by the end of that series.

Good point about Namor being too popular a character to be in a Squadron series. Namor is an established B/C-level character. Making him a simple analogue for another company's stronger B-level character might undermine Marvel's brand.

I was commenting on the previous posts which suggested that Namor could work with the Squadron, possibly joining them as their "Aquaman." I didn't think that would be plausible, even if they're a different alternate Earth Squadron, if we were talking about the same Namor that died at Hyperion's hands.
    Considering how many times that Namor has been a member of the Avengers, despite attacking coastal cities every few years, it is not too hard to assume he would join the Squadron (discounting the business problem with that). Or, how about Magneto and the X-Men?
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post

Good point about Namor being too popular a character to be in a Squadron series. Namor is an established B/C-level character. Making him a simple analogue for another company's stronger B-level character might undermine Marvel's brand.
    the brand is weak as hell. that's why Namor is controlling water now, grew his hair out, and put on the water conan outfit. if he's going to make it to B-level, he better do so before Black Adam also appears in live-action. because the reality of who he is doesn't matter; only the perception. and the perception will be that he's a wannabe Aquaman and/or Black Adam. just like Doctor Doom is derivative of Darth Vader because of their exposure outside of comics. doesn't matter who came first. he doesn't need the Squadron. but I don't see his popularity level increasing any time soon. definitely won't happen by hanging out with what's left of the Invaders. they are less and less relevant the further we get away from WWI and II.

Forget Namor. I want the Skrullian Skymaster

nope. same timeline. i'm the one who made the aquaman suggestion. my point is that the current squadron members aren't there willingly. why would it be different for Namor? secondly, the same Squadron that killed Namor brought him back to life. he already worked with them. the series was canceled soon after. Namor isn't opposed to working with people who have made attempts on his life (and vice versa). it's all about the goal (or a shared enemy) with him. but i wasn't suggesting that Namor was going to become friends with the Squadron. i just noticed that the same writer has been using the Atlanteans and the a mind-controlled Squadron. Namor is marvel's Aquaman. the Squadron doesn't have an Aquaman currently. so the logical next step...
    Wait, I thought Namor preceded Aquaman by a couple of years? In any event, you're right, it's not entirely outside the realm that Namor could join the team under the right circumstances. I just think it would still be difficult for any person to work with someone that's actually killed him. Even if they restored them back to life. Justified or not, I think any living sentient creature would find it hard to trust their killer. But maybe that could be part of the group tension. Who knows?
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Wait, I thought Namor preceded Aquaman by a couple of years? In any event, you're right, it's not entirely outside the realm that Namor could join the team under the right circumstances. I just think it would still be difficult for any person to work with someone that's actually killed him. Even if they restored them back to life. Justified or not, I think any living sentient creature would find it hard to trust their killer. But maybe that could be part of the group tension. Who knows?
    happens all of the time in the x-verse. this wouldn't be any weirder than T'challa and Namor being on a team. it's not like they killed him for sport. they were avenging others; misguidedly or not. in this particular case (and assuming that these aren't all new characters), Namor would not have the moral authority. they met him on his own terms. he flooded Wakanda for similar reasons.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 04-30-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Mighty Member

the brand is weak as hell. that's why Namor is controlling water now, grew his hair out, and put on the water conan outfit. if he's going to make it to B-level, he better do so before Black Adam also appears in live-action.
    Really? (I really have not been keeping up on Namor.)

Okay then. I retract everything that I said about Namor above. They probably should put him on the Squadron.

And, if it needs pointing out, that is really stupid. A 7 year old would see through what Marvel is doing. "They made him like Aquaman and are ripping off Aquaman." And, from there, it is only a short jump to "that is a rip off of Superman".

Namor would actually drag the Squadron down. Let that sink in. One of Marvel's first characters, a character that has headlined series by top-flight talent could actually drag a team of z-listers down.

John Doe.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Virtue/Ethan Edwards would make a good Skrullian Skymaster.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Ethan...ds_(Earth-616)

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Sounds like you want what I want, which is to see Marvel's version of the Martian Manhunter.

Given a say, I'd prefer that he or she was something other than a Skrull, though. I'm all Skrulled out. Lots of shapeshifting alien races out there, including some with psionic powers, I bet.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

And now that I think about it, with Jane becoming the winged Valkyrie, maybe she can be the counterpart to Hawkgirl and join the Squadron Supreme, too.

~James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36
    Llyron would work well to.

he was given radiation poisoning by Radioactive Man. and he has none of Namor's other abilities.
    What other abilities Llyron McKenzie does not have?
    I know he is not strong as namor and does not have the current water powers.

Llyron McKenzie (Earth-616)
    Human/Atlantean Physiology: Like his great uncle Namor, Llyron's powers come from his being a unique hybrid of Atlantean Homo mermanus and mutant Homo superior physiologies. Because of his unusual genetic heritage, Llyron is unique among both ordinary humans and Atlanteans.

Amphibious Physiological Adaptation: Llyron's body is specially developed for underwater conditions, granting him specialized blood circulation to withstand freezing temperatures and highly developed vision to see clearly even in murky ocean depths. This hybrid physiology means he can survive indefinitely underwater or on land, though he would still need occasional contact with water to survive.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Llyro...ie_(Earth-616)
    Last edited by mace11; 04-30-2019 at 11:52 PM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Wait, when did Namor forgive the Squadron for killing him? Or is this a different Squadron? Or a different Namor for that matter? Getting hard to keep track.
    It's not a different Namor. Have no idea on the Squadron. And it isn't just killing him, that Namor has to forgive. It's the destruction of Atlantis and killing of his people.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Wait- when did the squadron kill namor? I think he would easily overshadow them, making them all expendable.
    I agree. Namor does easily overshadow them in so many ways and I've always thought they were extraneous. If you want to read DC analogs, go read the DC originals. But James Robinson's horrible Squadron Supreme series a few years ago needed to job Namor and the Atlanteans out to help push the SS book, so he trashed the character and his city in the first issue. We were promised it was all for a reason and would be a great Namor centric plotline, but then Robinson decided he'd rather write about Weirdworld and never got to his allegedly epic Namor storyline, yet again, and the book didn't sell, so we got the lamest, nonsensical ending, and an issue or maybe two of Namor brought back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I think they killed him in the All-New, All-Different Marvel preview because I don't think I read the Squadron Supreme #1 relaunch. I honestly don't remember how he comes back, though, just that he's back by Secret Empire.
    You don't remember, cause it was forgettable and made little sense. It did happen in Squadron Supreme #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Hickperion sliced his head off with lasers and then they brought him back with Doom's time machine from the Baxter Building through the classic "scoop 'em up right before they died". Or something.
    Yes, because lasers have worked so well on Namor in the 75+ years previous. <insert sarcasm>
    And yes, "Or something" about covers it. LOL! There was also the idiocy of Namor's ghost or something floating around too. It was just too horrible.

why would he need to forgive them? the current crop are being mind-wiped by Mephisto. and they killed Namor because he was a threat to the surface world. Namor is very much a threat to the surface world right now. the Squadron did everyone a favor. and they were hunted down for it. bet the Avengers feel pretty stupid now.
    That not exactly true, and not exactly consistent.

Most of the SS weren't worried about Namor being a threat. They just wanted revenge. Namor had made ZERO threats against the surface world, and yet the SS attacked without a single provocation, him AND his people -- taking on the role of judge, jury, and execution without ANY government's approval. The SS's genocide of the Atlanteans didn't do anyone any favors, not even themselves. Allegedly the whole point of that storyline was that the SS was WRONG in their actions. That's why they were hunted down for it.

Well, the Avengers SHOULD be feeling pretty stupid right now, given that they were utterly clueless (allegedly) about what their encounter with the Celestials had done to Atlantis, but more than ready to jump to Roxxon's orders to INVADE Namor's city (again), attempt to steal / demand he turn over a bunch of invading murdering (again) Roxxon thugs, with complete disregard for Atlantean jurisdiction or justice. They'd rather work for and defend ROXXON, a known criminal corporation they've encountered repeatedly, than respect a fellow Avenger and many time ally and the sovereignty of his nation.

And of course, Roxxon trashed the Avengers, as allies of Malekith, and NOW the Avengers want to 'take them out.' The Avengers do come off as stupid ... and hypocrites.

guess marvel considered Namor to be expendable
    Marvel did NOT consider Namor expendable. They obviously consider Namor a big enough character to job to the SS to boost their 'cred' and Robinson was ALLOWED to do it only because he was bringing Namor back.

I think that it was Robinson's plans to have Namor join his SS -- which made zero sense after what they did to Atlantis, but he never got around to writing that. So, he came up with a rushed something else that made even less sense to return Namor.

But no, that was not a different timeline Namor.

Aquaman is DC's Namor. Namor is the OG.

What hold does Coulson have over Namor? None. So there's no reason for him to be there with the SS unwillingly. Namor has worked with people regardless of his feelings for them, but that doesn't mean he's going to join their club.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?