Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I'm amused that the Secret Defenders here are basically the New Fantastic Four plus Doctor Strange('s astral form).
    That's exactly who they were. Spider-man specifically went to Dr. Strange for help getting them back together. The only thing that makes them The Secret Defenders, is Dr. Strange recruited him, but even then he didn't recruit them like he had been recruiting people in the Secret Defenders book.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    That's exactly who they were. Spider-man specifically went to Dr. Strange for help getting them back together. The only thing that makes them The Secret Defenders, is Dr. Strange recruited him, but even then he didn't recruit them like he had been recruiting people in the Secret Defenders book.
    Yeah, funny how Wolverine and Spider-Man working together is an aspect of Marvel comics that actually goes back almost 50 years too.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Yeah, funny how Wolverine and Spider-Man working together is an aspect of Marvel comics that actually goes back almost 50 years too.

Indeed. And look, there's Spider-Man leading the charge!
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Spidey teamed up with the X-Men many times like the savage land saga. He was in defenders, secret defenders, outlaws, new fantastic four, ff, avengers and even the frightful four under the same mind control machine that mind controlled the thing and sandman! (Reed fixed spidey and thing but told sandman to take a hike. What a jerk!)

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Spider-Man has grown a lot from the teen who tried to join the Avengers for the paycheck, so I'm okay with that one. [
    Spidey tried to join the FF for the money. I don't think he repeated that mistake with the Avengers. (That might have been a mistake. At least at some point, the Avengers paid its members. As I recall, in the 70s or 80s, it was $1,000 a month. Not a princely sum, even then, but substantial.) . I think his first attempt to join the Avengers was because they sent him to track down the Hulk, but he found out that the Hulk was Banner (though I'm not sure if he knew it was Banner or who Banner was) and thought the Avengers were out to destroy him (which was not the case, natch). If I'm wrong, feel free to take me to task.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

I think the whole "Everyone can be an Avanger" idea is just a much better idea than some Elite Squad of Veterans who show up whenever, wherever.

I do think people like Deadpool should have never become an Avenger because even at the best of times he's just one repackaging away from a huge body count and an edgier attitude but not because they were X-Men characters before. I could see someone like X-23 serving as an Avenger, no problem. In fact: She'd be part of my ideal line-up.
    Last edited by Matternativ; 07-08-2019 at 11:57 AM.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Spidey teamed up with the X-Men many times like the savage land saga. He was in defenders, secret defenders, outlaws, new fantastic four, ff, avengers and even the frightful four under the same mind control machine that mind controlled the thing and sandman! (Reed fixed spidey and thing but told sandman to take a hike. What a jerk!)

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    He definitely gets around.

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    I think the whole "Everyone can be an Avanger" idea is just a much better idea than some Elite Squad of Veterans who show up whenever, wherever.

I do think people like Deadpool should have never become an Avenger because even at the best of times he's just one repackaging away from a huge body count and an edgier attitude but not because they were X-Men characters before. I could see someone like X-23 serving as an Avenger, no problem. In fact: She'd be part of my ideal line-up.
    Agreed. Laura has at least tried very hard to stop being a killer, especially when she took up the Wolverine mantle while Logan was dead, so that puts her one-up on some of the others who've joined the Avengers.

I disagree. I think this precisely what makes The Avengers and The Justice League the most prominent teams in both companies. But, it's also why the both have off shoots. Being an Avenger means the most, then you have the off shoot teams which mean slightly less but the off shoots are the more exclusive teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Spidey tried to join the FF for the money. I don't think he repeated that mistake with the Avengers. (That might have been a mistake. At least at some point, the Avengers paid its members. As I recall, in the 70s or 80s, it was $1,000 a month. Not a princely sum, even then, but substantial.) . I think his first attempt to join the Avengers was because they sent him to track down the Hulk, but he found out that the Hulk was Banner (though I'm not sure if he knew it was Banner or who Banner was) and thought the Avengers were out to destroy him (which was not the case, natch). If I'm wrong, feel free to take me to task.
    as I recall it 1k a week for active and 1k a month for reserve members. He and Sandman became reserve members for a second and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    as I recall it 1k a week for active and 1k a month for reserve members. He and Sandman became reserve members for a second and a half.
    Uh-huh. They were both Avengers reservists in the 1990s comics, before Wizard forced Sandman back into villainy with his brainwashing machine that made him think he'd just been faking redemption the whole time.

Spiderman has often been called the best of us. Cap said it. Tony I think kinds said it, recently Daredevil has said it. Even Logan said he is a guy you want on your side in a fight. If that person does not deserve to be an avenger then nobody does.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmist View Post
    What's wrong with every hero or heroine becoming an Avenger? To be honest, the only time I shell out my money to read an Avenger book is when it includes characters who weren't originally Avengers. Thank god it's not an exclusive membership kind of team.

most teams aren't Pretty much everyone was defender at one point. Champions have grown in their short run. Even the ff has had a lot of members or associates. The x-men mostly stick with mutants but they might be the only team that has a membership requirement at least for the main team.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    Spiderman has often been called the best of us. Cap said it. Tony I think kinds said it, recently Daredevil has said it. Even Logan said he is a guy you want on your side in a fight. If that person does not deserve to be an avenger then nobody does.
    Really, the notion that Spider-Man doesn't deserve to be an Avenger has always been ridiculous. He's teamed with and fought against pretty much everyone in the 616, and he did a lot of it before he was even old enough to vote. He's an experienced effective hero with a resume second to none, in addition to being one of the straight up best human beings on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Relugus View Post
    Bendis watered it down by putting Wolverine and Spiderman on the team, effectively making them a team of characters who already had solo comics, then they were diluted even further by Hickman's more cynical, cold view of the team dynamics sucked out whatever uniqueness the team had as a "family".

Indeed, Marvel's team comics are these days dominated by characters who already have solos. You are either everywhere or nowhere at Marvel.
    Course, being guys who all had solo books was actually the original concept of the Avengers.

Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, and Ant-Man were all the guys who had solo books. Just like Justice League.

The only special condition that needs to be met to be an Avenger is a candidate needs to be a hero. And I think most heroes who have joined the team have met that condition.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman