Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    should he return at all?
    His dad’s already the token dead.

Both his siblings are now in Guardians of the Galaxy.

If he stays dead, I would want his siblings to remember as tragedy that they best avoid. But they never talk about him.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    His dad’s already the token dead.

Both his siblings are now in Guardians of the Galaxy.

If he stays dead, I would want his siblings to remember as tragedy that they best avoid. But they never talk about him.
    Honestly, it seems like they killed him to push Teddy as Mar-Vell's heir, yet it doesn't really seem to inform his character at all. Same with Carol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I absolutely LOVE this story. Unfortunately, they don't do them like this anymore.

Peace
    Sad, but true. Those were the days (IMHO):

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    That was a quick way to change a character image from something totally 90s to something more classic looking.
    To the utmost, I agree. Best makeover in comic-book history:

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    About the OP suggestion, not. It is better to have Genis resting in peace instead use him as a villian to make other characters look good.
    Exactly! Create someone new to be a jobber for your pet character. Don't be using other peoples' favorites as your stepping-stone.

Fantastic Member

He should return

BANNED

I hope someone like Ewing can take a swing at the character, Peter David's run was pretty meta,
    a run like Alan Moore's take on Supreme could work, and you can have your villain Genis somewhere in there.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I thought "dead" was the perfect role for him. I'm not one to deprive the universe of that virtuoso performance.
    No, that is Phyla's perfect role LOL.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    Funnily enough the 2000s Genis led Captain Marvel series was the first that Marvel ever pulled their trick of cancelling a book and relaunch it in an attempt to boost sales. Not to mention he had been revived after a flop series in the 90s.
    I said a bunch of times. Compare that to Carol Danvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    I'd like the chararacter back but his death was pretty well written and a fitting end for the character. It had zero to do with boosting up Phyla or Carol Danvers who wasn't even on the horizon at the time.
    Except the title of this thread is asking should the character be brought back as a villain. What is the point of bringing him back as a villain? Obviously to sacrifice him on the altar of Carol, or Phyla (Stop trying to make fetch happen) Vell. What matters is what happens if they bring him back
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Use Phylla, that character never caught on with anyone. Being evil would be a step up for her but it will never happen because....
    Pretty sure she was used as a villain for a while.

Ultimate Member

I do think that they should bring him back, he'd make an excellent supporting character for Carol. If they're gonna surround her with other heroes, they oughta do it with characters that make sense or compliment her character (Sleepwalker and Alpha Flight are fine characters, but poor foils for Carol)

I loved PAD’s CM series. It would be great to have Genis back. BUT NOT AS A VILLAIN. Did Fabian ever give a reason as to why he took Genis off of the table in Thunderbolts?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I loved PAD’s CM series. It would be great to have Genis back. BUT NOT AS A VILLAIN. Did Fabian ever give a reason as to why he took Genis off of the table in Thunderbolts?
    Fabian's a pro. If there were behind the scene reasons, I'm confident he'd never admit them.

Thus, we speculate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Pretty sure she was used as a villain for a while.
    Her Martyr days? She was the Avatar of Death but I'm not sure she knew Oblivion's true plan.
    She was more or less used by Oblivion and Maelstrom.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Honestly, it seems like they killed him to push Teddy as Mar-Vell's heir, yet it doesn't really seem to inform his character at all. Same with Carol.
    Genis died in 2006. Teddy had existed for only one year at that point in the comics, and nothing they did with him back then seemed to be a push for him as Mar-Vell's heir. I WISH they were trying to push that at the time, because at least it would mean he would probably be allowed to be Captain Marvel for a time, but they never did that. And the next Captain Marvel after that was Mar-Vell himself, but then Marvel retconned the guy as a Skrull pretending to be him. So, if anything, Marvel killed him because they wanted to push Mar again, but then realized they didn't actually have the guts to do that either.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Genis died in 2006. Teddy had existed for only one year at that point in the comics, and nothing they did with him back then seemed to be a push for him as Mar-Vell's heir. I WISH they were trying to push that at the time, because at least it would mean he would probably be allowed to be Captain Marvel for a time, but they never did that. And the next Captain Marvel after that was Mar-Vell himself, but then Marvel retconned the guy as a Skrull pretending to be him. So, if anything, Marvel killed him because they wanted to push Mar again, but then realized they didn't actually have the guts to do that either.
    Young Avengers had just taken off and was pretty damn popular at the time. Remember, they were front and center during Civil War and were well received.

But yea, this is all conjecture. I like Fabian, but Genis' death seemed rather contrived, all things considered.

Astonishing Member

I don't think Fabian would have killed Genis willingly. The letter pages from the first Genis mini that he wrote showed that he was very attached to the character. YA is one option. But another possibility is Civil War the Return which was at the time been presented by Jenkins on various newsites like CBR/Newsarama as the return of the original Captain Mar-vell.