• Powerful

10 31.25%
  • Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%

Some of y'all just love tearing down other female superheroes don't ya?

Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    1) If you really want to get technical, while Jean was the premier female of the team prior to the second generation of X-Men, the book got cancelled and everything. Nobody cared about Jean or Polaris. So, yeah, I can understand Jean not being prominently featured always. She and the rest of the O5 couldn't sell the book. They were boring as heck.

2) Jean was given the Phoenix Force so she could compete with Storm, so you Jean fans ought to be grateful that a powerful and popular female came along like Ororo for Jean to reap the benefits of that. Not only that, but on top of it, originally, when Storm went into space the first time, she could control cosmic forces. That changed in the Classic reprint of the story to where Storm only shot lightning from her hands in order to prop up the whole Phoenix Force Jean Grey thing since Storm's powers could have nullified that solar flare. Storm did not regain her cosmic powers until well after Jean's death in the Brood Saga.

3) Again, Jean was not written out of the book to prop up Storm. She was written out of the book because she, and the rest of the O5 were so boring they got the book cancelled. Marvel obviously didn't want her to drag down the book again to cancellation.

4) Jean was not written out of the book after Zero Tolerance. When Kelly/Seagle came along, they were trying to restore the Phoenix Force to Jean and the editors put a kibosh on it. They then had decided to do a rotation where only 7 members could serve on the team at a time, so technically, Jean was still on the team as a rotation member and her time would come. Some of the times, Ororo would be off the team. Good thing their stint was cut short. On top of it, in an interview they gave, Kelly and Seagle said that Jean could beat any member of the X-Men by telepathically dissecting them and they totally ignored Storm's mental defenses in their stories to have her taken out even by generic telepaths like the Grey King.

5) While Jean did lose her TK powers in Revolution, she gained Betsy's TP powers in exchange. So, Betsy took Jean's TK abilities and Jean took Psylocke's TP powers which were added to her own. Furthermore, during this time, Storm had zero mental defenses. Jean had to either protect Storm from mental assaults, or, if Jean was not around when a telepath came after Storm, after Storm lost to the telepath, she'd go and tell Jean about it and then Jean would go and beat up the telepath for Storm. Yeah, Storm was written that badly during Revolution to prop up Jean.

6) Storm never wanted to be headmistress of a school. She said so during the Savage Land story arc of X-Treme X-Men. Jean was killed off because she got the Phoenix Force and became so overpowered that she was unmanageable in the x-titles.

7) Storm's character was not even being handled by the X-office during her years of marriage to T'challa when she was a member of the FF. Nice try, but try again.

8) So now that Storm made the female X-Men thing popular, Marvel is trying to figure out a way to swap Storm out of that spot for Jean. They've been attempting this in the 90s, but Jean has never been able to catch on with fans like a well-written Storm. This latest debacle with X-Men Red is simply their latest attempt. I guess they figure if they REALLY hold Storm back this time, even if they are not in the same book, and have Storm unconscious every issue while trying to give Jean Storm-like endeavors, then maybe this time will finally work. But they have been trying since the early 90s...
    1. Yet Cyclops was kept around.

2. Compete with Storm? Storm wasnt the powerhouse she would eventually become in those early issues pre-Phoenix

3. Yet X-Factor was one of the best selling titles when it featured the O5. It eventually became Marvel's #2 book under Simonson. They wouldnt have dragged Uncanny down had Jean and/or other members rejoined

4. Yet Jean wasnt apart of that "rotating lineup". Heck she wasnt even a supporting character. You are right in that Seagle/Kelly werent there much longer but even Davis didnt change the lineup up when he took over. She was completely removed from the books until the Shattering/AXM which served as a prelude to The Twelve

5. Jean lost her TK and didnt benefit at all in Revolution. She wasnt doing anything she couldnt do before with this so called "enhanced TP" from Betsy. She gained a shadow form reminscent of the Crimson Dawn. Big whoopty doo.

6. But she was. X-treme X-men happened years before she actually got that role in recent years. Jean could have been had the PF removed from her as we now have her or before the Morrison run

7. She was still kept off the X-books right? Marvel had bigger plans for her which is why she was elevated to the greater MU and this was a time when they had better continuity across the books with characters not named Wolverine.

If you couldnt tell, I was being sarcastic and playing devil's advocate. Anyone can make an argument for why a character is propped at the expense of another. Doesnt make it true. Alot of it comes down to bitterness and needing to find a reason to place blame somwhere

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    Let me edit this:

The reason Jean was killed off is because she is a one-trick pony. All she can do is serve as host to the Phoenix Force. Other than that, she's a cardboard cutout of a heroine. Anybody can have an evil clone (Madelyne Pryor). Anybody can have kids from the future (Reed and Sue Richards had a daughter from the future, IIRC). Anybody can be in love triangles. Etc. Nothing else about Jean is unique. So, after she did her one trick, host the PF, it was tired and stale, so they killed her off.
    Its okay. Jean has enough love in her heart for compassion for you

Last edited by Havok83; 02-08-2018 at 08:52 PM.

We all need to come together as fans of the X-Men's leading ladies and demand Marvel put women at the forefront like they do for male characters. We can have Batman and Superman, Captain America and Iron Man as leading characters and shoved in our faces, but the powers-that-be have to bring one woman down to bring one woman up.

I'm not happy they character assassinated Emma and turned her crazy in IvX to make way for Jean, but it's a pattern the media does with women. They had to kill off Jean so they could shove Emma in our faces for 10 years.

We do need more women of color at the forefront of the X-Men, and I agree Storm should be the leading lady on this. But she, like a lot of the X-Men, haven't been written well the past decade.

Critiquing Marvel's preferential treatment for white women like Jean and Emma is certainly a valid criticism -- I don't think that's an attack on the characters themselves. And there's truth to this because a lot of the main X-Men are white, even though the X-Men are supposed to represent diversity.

All I can say is demand more women and women of color in the X-Men and stop tearing down other female characters. The problem is there aren't enough leading women coexisting on teams. This is the problem I have with the superhero movies, which are way worse on this front.

I do wish Storm was on the Red instead of Nightcrawler ....

Quote Originally Posted by ButterRum View Post
    We all need to come together as fans of the X-Men's leading ladies and demand Marvel put women at the forefront like they do for male characters. We can have Batman and Superman, Captain America and Iron Man as leading characters and shoved in our faces, but the powers-that-be have to bring one woman down to bring one woman up.

I'm not happy they character assassinated Emma and turned her crazy in IvX to make way for Jean, but it's a pattern the media does with women. They had to kill off Jean so they could shove Emma in our faces for 10 years.

We do need more women of color at the forefront of the X-Men, and I agree Storm should be the leading lady on this. But she, like a lot of the X-Men, haven't been written well the past decade.

Critiquing Marvel's preferential treatment for white women like Jean and Emma is certainly a valid criticism -- I don't think that's an attack on the characters themselves. And there's truth to this because a lot of the main X-Men are white, even though the X-Men are supposed to represent diversity.

All I can say is demand more women and women of color in the X-Men.

I dont believe that was for Jean's sake. I dont think Jean's resurrection was on the table when that was first pitched a year ago. Marvel needed a scapegoat for IvX so they could further push the Inhumans and absolve Medusa so Emma was thrown under the bus; not bc she was needed out of the way for Jean. Jean's return was kind of rushed which makes me confident that that something changed behind the scenes over the summer

Lmao. Storm would nevet approve of consistently tearing down/belittling her best friend.

If she hating tell that b*tch to let it go-Nicki Minaj
    Last edited by Rosa Snarks; 02-08-2018 at 09:09 PM.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

BANNED

All I can say is demand more women and women of color in the X-Men and stop tearing down other female characters. The problem is there aren't enough leading women coexisting on teams. This is the problem I have with the superhero movies, which are way worse on this front.

I agree with all of this. Most Storm fans like Jean. They just feel like Jean fans aren't as supportive of Storm fans. Having you come in here and voice support is what our fandoms do. Keep this up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by malachi_munroex View Post
    Lmao. Storm would nevet approve of consistently tearing down/belittling her beat friend.

If she hating tell that b*tch to let it go-Nicki Minaj
    Yup Love you boo.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

thank you for this ... posters reducing our criticism to just hating Jean or jealousy are missing the entire point.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 02-08-2018 at 09:24 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Spectacular Member

Does anyone know in which issue Storm used her ancestral ruby to teleport or said it can teleport?????

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post

It's sad really. But maybe I shouldn't talk because if this was kitty Pryde instead of Jean, I'd be enjoying it.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Avatar View Post
    It's sad really. But maybe I shouldn't talk because if this was kitty Pryde instead of Jean, I'd be enjoying it.
    at least you being honest lol
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Avatar View Post
    Agreed. Although i blame Guggenhiem.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    1. Yet Cyclops was kept around.

2. Compete with Storm? Storm wasnt the powerhouse she would eventually become in those early issues pre-Phoenix

3. Yet X-Factor was one of the best selling titles when it featured the O5. It eventually became Marvel's #2 book under Simonson. They wouldnt have dragged Uncanny down had Jean and/or other members rejoined

4. Yet Jean wasnt apart of that "rotating lineup". Heck she wasnt even a supporting character. You are right in that Seagle/Kelly werent there much longer but even Davis didnt change the lineup up when he took over. She was completely removed from the books until the Shattering/AXM which served as a prelude to The Twelve

5. Jean lost her TK and didnt benefit at all in Revolution. She wasnt doing anything she couldnt do before with this so called "enhanced TP" from Betsy. She gained a shadow form reminscent of the Crimson Dawn. Big whoopty doo.

6. But she was. X-treme X-men happened years before she actually got that role in recent years. Jean could have been had the PF removed from her as we now have her or before the Morrison run

7. She was still kept off the X-books right? Marvel had bigger plans for her which is why she was elevated to the greater MU and this was a time when they had better continuity across the books with characters not named Wolverine.

If you couldnt tell, I was being sarcastic and playing devil's advocate. Anyone can make an argument for why a character is propped at the expense of another. Doesnt make it true. Alot of it comes down to bitterness and needing to find a reason to place blame somwhere

Its okay. Jean has enough love in her heart for compassion for you

1) I guess they figured keeping one out of the original five wouldn't hurt the book too much, but keeping Jean consistently along with Scott would be too big of a risk.

2) From day one Storm was created to be the most powerful and the most beautiful female in all of comics. In her very first showing, she absorbed the full electrical fury of a stormcell into her body. She also defeated Polaris with a massive display of power in a pre-Phoenix issue. She was able to create a hurricane strong enough to level Manhattan and maintain enough control of it so that none but the sentinel she was fighting in the skies above the city would be hurt by the tempest and the city remained unharmed. Pre-Phoenix, she threw a solar wind attack at another sentinel backed by the full power of a star. Etc. Etc. Etc.

3) X-Factor was able to sell like that after Storm and Wolverine undid the curse on the X-brand the O5 placed on everything X during their boring run prior to the second generation team.

4) Jean was most certainly a part of that rotating lineup. The writers themselves said this in an issue of Wizard X-Men Special. Jean was actually in the book during the first part of the Kelly/Seagle run, then was put on the rotating team. We never got to the rotations as Kelly and Seagle were booted off the book before it got that far. Whew!

5) Jean was never an impressive telepath without the PF. I think she was stronger in Revolution as she was actually able to beat a telepath for a change when she got Betsy's powers. She beat Revenant. Prior to this, she lost against almost every telepath she went against. Xavier even had to tell her to sit herself down when the team went up against psis too strong for her like the Shadow King. Jean learned that lesson well because when the team fought Legion in another story, she hid in a force-field in the background behind Storm and was egging on Storm and Bishop to fight Legion while she did nothing out of fear of drawing Legion's attention to herself. She was too afraid to fight him. Then she was humiliated by Exodus everytime he looked at her. She was annihilated by Onslaught when he had only a portion of Xavier's powers and had not yet absorbed the powers of Franklin or X-Man. She was completely at the mercy of Stryfe. In one issue, when Emma Frost was unleashing a psychic attack against a foe, the psionic energy resonating from that attack overcame Jean's mental defenses and she had to hold onto Storm for support to avoid hitting the floor. She then had to beg Storm to make Emma stop. Etc. Etc. Etc.

6,7 &8) Again, Jean was killed off because she had done her one trick, hosting the PF. Since that story is tired, they had no choice but to kill her off. I mean, what else are you going to do with her? The Phoenix Force angle had been done to death. First, it impersonated it. Then it possessed her daughter. Then she got possessed by it. On top of that, we had the End of Greys story arc where the Shi'ar killed her family so they could not give birth to future Phoenix hosts. Then we got that story in Uncanny X-Men #387 where that D'bari alien survivor tried to kill her for what the Phoenix Force did as Dark Phoenix when it impersonated Jean Grey. Jean has been married, involved in two love triangles (Logan/Jean/Scott and Emma/Scott/Jean)...even Wolverine got tired of it. I recall during Morrison's run when Jean tried to get with Wolverine in the woods in the backyard of the mansion. He had to beat her down with a stick and tell her "no". She has had evil clones of her. Evil clones of her children that have whupped her butt. She has had children from the future and copies of those children from alternate timelines. She's had to face evil clones of herself. I mean, really? There is nothing more to do with Jean, so now they are stealing Storm concepts to prop up Jean while trying to hold Storm back.

9) As you can see, we have had a bunch of rehashing Summer/Grey stories in the X-books while Storm only gets the occassional tired old Morlock story every now and then. Marvel has looked for every excuse to try and ignore Storm in their attempt to try and have Jean supplant her as the leading lady of the X. Jean has never resonated with as many X-fans like a well-written Storm. I'll say it again, this latest attempt at Red X-Men is one more angle they are trying to elevate Jean to the level of a well-written Storm. And, just for good measure, they are doing everything they can to hold Storm back so readers don't look at her since Jean can't compete with a well-written Ororo.
    Last edited by rutog98; 02-08-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post

They just channeling their inner Quincy Jones...

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    They just channeling their inner Quincy Jones...
    Oop. We love tea
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡