Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default The Mission: The Allure of Marvel's Female Thor & the All-New Captain America's Struggle

With news of the impressive sales of Marvel's new "Thor" series, Joseph Illidge makes comparisons to the publisher's "All-New Captain America."

Full article here.

Part of the draw of the new Thor is that there has never been a female Thor and the mystery of who she is. There is no mystery surrounding who the new Steve is because we know it's Sam and also there have been many more people who have replaced Cap than there are who replaced Thor.

I do agree that there could have been a lot more done during Black History month to showcase black creators and characters. There should have also been more promotional items to go along with Sam's debut.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Does anyone really not know who the female Thor is by now? It's that female SHIELD agent, clearly.

I suspect a lot of fans figure that Steve will be back eventually and don't really want to give Sam a chance? Heck the new Hail Hydra series is about his adopted son rather than Sam, and with Secret Wars we have umpteen alternate versions of Steve Rogers but as far as I can tell just one alternate Sam in Civil War.

I find the comparison demeaning to both, quite honestly. And as mentioned above, "Thor" has been milking a big mystery. "The New Captain America" doesn't have that. I think it's a bit of a reach to say that the "black guy" has the deck stacked against him again, but we all see what we want to see. (and of the two titles, I've been buying "Captain America" instead of "Thor.")

Fantastic Member

Here's to hoping that Sam Wilson's time as the substitute Captain America can do for him what it did for Bucky Barnes. Namely, getting him out of the shadow of Steve Rogers and becoming an A-list hero in his own right when he returns to being Falcon. Done properly, a Falcon ongoing (or whatever passes for "ongoing," now) would be great for everyone.
    Currently Reading: A handful of series that will be canceled soon.

"That said, the story reads like Sam Wilson continues to fail, time and time again"

That's what really put me off after picking up the first 2 issues.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Magic View Post
    Here's to hoping that Sam Wilson's time as the substitute Captain America can do for him what it did for Bucky Barnes. Namely, getting him out of the shadow of Steve Rogers and becoming an A-list hero in his own right when he returns to being Falcon. Done properly, a Falcon ongoing (or whatever passes for "ongoing," now) would be great for everyone.
    Define "everyone".

All-New Member

j9ac9k hit the nail on the head, the only draw towards fakethor i have is finding out what fury said to real thor to make him drop his hammer. after that, ill feel the same way i do about samcap, just hope its interesting enough before the real star gets their book back.
    personally i find the new thor depressing while watching one of my favorite heroes dealing with rejection and inadequacy, and self serving, existing only to prove fakethor is a badass. i have no reason to root for fakethor as i don't even know who it is, and i DO have reason to root against her, as she is "stealing the thunder" (zing) of one of my favorite heroes by instantly being able to one-up his abilities.

Part of the new Thor's appeal is the mystery, that and people hate-reading it. Maybe people are passing on Sam because they don't like him, or they figure Steve will be young again by the time Cap 3 comes out and they're just biding their time.

The first arc of All-New Cap is likely him learning how to be Cap with the road-bumps and the learning to be confident in and embrace the role. So it's a given that the first arc would have it be difficult for him, with him finally coming into his own and winning. After that "crisis of confidence" trope will be finished and future arcs will be showing him with much more success in the role. They like that trope so it was obvious Marvel would include it, but I don't think it's them trying to devalue Sam as a character and I'm sure the trope will be over soon when he gets that first victory as Cap under his belt.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Part of the draw of the new Thor is that there has never been a female Thor and the mystery of who she is. There is no mystery surrounding who the new Steve is because we know it's Sam and also there have been many more people who have replaced Cap than there are who replaced Thor.

I do agree that there could have been a lot more done during Black History month to showcase black creators and characters. There should have also been more promotional items to go along with Sam's debut.
    I forgot about Thor-Girl but I don't think she could be considered a replacement.

Bucky didn't get off to a rousing success s Cap either and didn't rack up a lot of wins. Sam is getting his bearings as Cap and he's struggled. But I see him getting better and the current storyline has been focusing on Sam and his ideals.

Amazing Member

"is outselling its male counterpart, the preceding volume of "Thor," by significant numbers. In the case of the first issue, by more than 100%".
    Thor God of Thunde issue #1 = 110,443 http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...2/2012-11.html
    Female Thor issue #1 = 150,862
    100%? Where? Seems like propaganda to fit what the article is selling, thought comicbookresources was a reputable site, the other part that always is ignored is that the Original Thor also is in the book, not all the readers are there for female Thor.
    Last edited by Bjorn; 03-23-2015 at 06:36 PM.

Mighty Member

It's not that people are that much more interested in reading about a female superhero as opposed to a black superhero. The difference is in the story itself. The new Thor is a fun and imaginative story. All New Captain America is a weird bordering on goofy story with questionable pacing. People don' just read a comic book because it has a female or African American lead. They do want to read good comics.

Spoilers follow!!!

Cap Falc come across a faction of HYDRA who have an inhuman captive. The inhuman's blood has the property to sterilize humans. So HYDRA is dispensing his blood across the US by using a swarm of fleas. Thankfully, Sam manages to convince all the birds in the region to eat the fleas. But, wait, there is a back up plan. The vampiric Baron Blood has been binge drinking the "magic blood" and is now on a rampage to bite as many people as possible... sterilizing the ones he doesn't convert to vampires, I guess.

As I've said in a different post it's like going to the new James Bond movie expecting to see Skyfall and instead you are shown Moonraker...
    Last edited by solletaire; 03-23-2015 at 04:59 PM.

Incredible Member

I read the New Thor, but I passed on All-New Captain America. The 3 main reasons from my perspective are:

1. I like Sam Wilson, but Remender had him come off to me as kind of an a-hole when he was introduced as Captain America and the way he was written in Axis.

2. Steve Rogers just came back as Cap not too long ago. I thought they re-hashed someone taking over the mantle too soon.

3. Part of the appeal of Captain America for me has always been the man out of time idea. You take that away and you just have somebody in a red, white and blue costume with a shield.

My thought is that after the Winter Soldier movie, Marvel wanted to up interest of the Falcon. Feeling he couldn't carry his own title, they had to attach the Captain America mantle to him. Really, with a good writer, I think the Falcon could have his own limited or solo series. One of my favorite limited series from the 80's was the falcon solo.

Spectacular Member FN Spider-Man's Avatar

The problem is that Remender's Captain America run has been bad and Jason Aaron's run on Thor has been good.