Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Sounds - very good Cass story that I enjoyed. 5 / 5

Dress Code - short and sweet. I appreciated the writer having Tai take the insult in stride instead of becoming super-offended/emotional. 4 / 5

Hawke & Kong - Meh. Subpar story and art, imo. Also, colorist couldn't seem to maintain consistent skin tone for Connor. 2 / 5

Special Delivery - Damian's monologue has been done a million times by a million characters. 2 / 5

Masks - Would've made more sense to put this in the Catwoman book as a backup. Felt like we were missing much of the story. 3 / 5

What's in the Box? - Short and sweet! Abrupt ending worked for me; bao buns make things better, haha. Maybe I just like Cass? 4 / 5

Family Dinner - Didn't click with me (but can foresee others loving it). Didn't find anyone likable except younger sister possibly. 2.5 / 5

Kawaii Kalamity - Decent marks for the alliterative title alone. I kinda dug the story. 3.5 / 5

Festival of Heroes - Didn't like this. 1 / 5

Perceptible - First page was Morrison-esque. Last page was random and seemed out of place. Decent Ryan Choi story 3 / 5

The Monkey Prince - Good intro to a couple of the Journey to the West characters (with some major modifications to fit into the DCU). 4 / 5

Overall, a 3 / 5. I liked it okay but probably not worth the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I don't see why it wouldn't be. Shazam's in that story. I think they've probably retconned that his New 52 family was always his foster family and that Billy was always called Shazam and not Captain Marvel, but other than that things from before Flashpoint should be canon again, which explains Sivana's look.

His name is actually Super-Man, which is supposed to be the Chinese Mandarin translation of Superman and just written in English for the convenience of the readers. His name is really 超人, Chāorén. Which you can see on his comic's logo..
    On top of that, if I'm not mistaken, the 'New' in New Super-Man comes from the film tradition of sequels in China being called New X, for instance New Mr. Vampire.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    His name is actually Super-Man, which is supposed to be the Chinese Mandarin translation of Superman and just written in English for the convenience of the readers. His name is really 超人, Chāorén. Which you can see on his comic's logo.
    On top of that, if I'm not mistaken, the 'New' in New Super-Man comes from the film tradition of sequels in China being called New X, for instance New Mr. Vampire.
    I didn't know any of this, that's actually insanely cool to me. I always found the moniker of "New Super-Man" kinda awkward sounding but now it makes total sense. it's a name that may sound weird in English, because it's not really a name meant for english, but makes sense in Mandarin and in the context of his native culture. I love that.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 05-11-2021 at 09:35 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Sounds - very good Cass story that I enjoyed. 5 / 5

Dress Code - short and sweet. I appreciated the writer having Tai take the insult in stride instead of becoming super-offended/emotional. 4 / 5

Hawke & Kong - Meh. Subpar story and art, imo. Also, colorist couldn't seem to maintain consistent skin tone for Connor. 2 / 5

Special Delivery - Damian's monologue has been done a million times by a million characters. 2 / 5

Masks - Would've made more sense to put this in the Catwoman book as a backup. Felt like we were missing much of the story. 3 / 5

What's in the Box? - Short and sweet! Abrupt ending worked for me; bao buns make things better, haha. Maybe I just like Cass? 4 / 5

Family Dinner - Didn't click with me (but can foresee others loving it). Didn't find anyone likable except younger sister possibly. 2.5 / 5

Kawaii Kalamity - Decent marks for the alliterative title alone. I kinda dug the story. 3.5 / 5

Festival of Heroes - Didn't like this. 1 / 5

Perceptible - First page was Morrison-esque. Last page was random and seemed out of place. Decent Ryan Choi story 3 / 5

The Monkey Prince - Good intro to a couple of the Journey to the West characters (with some major modifications to fit into the DCU). 4 / 5

Overall, a 3 / 5. I liked it okay but probably not worth the price.
    I decided to pick this up after all due to Monkey Prince being introduced here and I mostly agree with your ratings thou I didn't like Sounds at all and liked Hawke/Kong more than you did. And glad that I wasn't the only one who thought that Katana story was terrible.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Really dug the Monkey Prince. I like how closely they're linking him to Shazam from the get-go. Smart move.

Problem is, Monkey Prince was clearly written without Teen Titans Academy in mind. Billy is no longer at Fawcett High, so they'll have to sever the Shazam link when they bring Monkey Prince back later.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Problem is, Monkey Prince was clearly written without Teen Titans Academy in mind. Billy is no longer at Fawcett High, so they'll have to sever the Shazam link when they bring Monkey Prince back later.
    Where does it say that the story took place in the present?

It could have easily been set prior to Billy’s time at Titans Academy (or perhaps Billy’s only there on weekends)

It was a good number and I really liked the majority of the stories (specially Sounds, Family dinner and Masks).

The only stories I didn't like were Special delivery and Festival of heroes.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I decided to pick this up after all due to Monkey Prince being introduced here and I mostly agree with your ratings thou I didn't like Sounds at all and liked Hawke/Kong more than you did. And glad that I wasn't the only one who thought that Katana story was terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    It was a good number and I really liked the majority of the stories (specially Sounds, Family dinner and Masks).

Festival of Heros was so utterly cliched, unrealistic, and predictable for one of these POC anthologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Where does it say that the story took place in the present?

It could have easily been set prior to Billy’s time at Titans Academy (or perhaps Billy’s only there on weekends)
    The Academy is a boarding school. So yeah, it has to be before Billy signed up. Considering TTA is only two issues in, I think they were just caught out by a status quo change. And like I said, that'll need to be fixed when Monkey Prince next appears.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

I'm confused was this book about Asian Superheroes or about Asian food

Appart from this:

Sounds: the overly happy Hostage guy took me completely out of the story

Hawke & Kong: I'm not really sure what Connor relationship with his mother was originally, wasn't she some kind of irresposible hippy Mom? And I don't think his Grand Mother ever appeared before only his Grandfather.

Festival of Heroes: that was really not good, and why where Cyborg and Blue Beetle in that story? They didn't really do anything, they have afaik no connection to Katana and aren't even Asian.

Mixed as most anthologiea but I enjoyed most of it.
    Favs are Cassandra's stories, Tai Pham's and Lian's (I've been waiting for the reveal since FS: Catwoman).

A little disappointed in the Grace & Anissa story, but it was alright. I'm just glad they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post

Same. Special Delivery was so generic I'm kinda at a loss. Festival of Heroes... I wish they would have toned it down a bit and hadn't include so many elements. The magic stone was way too much imo. And as much as I liked seeing Jamie and Vic, it would have been cooler to feature other more unknown Asian heroes. Would have loved to see Kimiyo Hoshi again.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Same. Special Delivery was so generic I'm kinda at a loss. Festival of Heroes... I wish they would have toned it down a bit and hadn't include so many elements. The magic stone was way too much imo. And as much as I liked seeing Jamie and Vic, it would have been cooler to feature other more unknown Asian heroes. Would have loved to see Kimiyo Hoshi again.
    How is she not in this? It's like DC keeps forgetting about her.

She did have a character profile at the back of the issue.

Shoes has the wrong debut issue listed there, she debuted in the last Catwoman issue before Future State, not in Future State: Catwoman #1.
    Considering who she is revealed to be in the profiles in this issue her debut would actually be: New Teen Titans Vol. 2 #21 (June 1986)