View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 50 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354601001505501050 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    When characters such as Wiccan exist, I question why fictional characters are fictional. I would date Wiccan so hard, but, alas, he's both taken and fictional.

I wore this to Pride and shall be doing the same to a con tomorrow.
    Attachment 9321
    If someone comes up to you and hits on you with a line like 'Hey, I just had the Demiurge to come talk to you' or 'Hey, you just gave me a Demiurge in my pants' then they are clearly a keeper.

On the Hickman Avengers front, I still want it to be Starbrand.

Having it be Hyperion is just going to cause people to bash it for Marvel making their Superman guy gay to stick it to DC
    Last edited by legion_quest; 09-06-2014 at 08:40 AM.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Yeah, he didn't lie, but I didn't accuse him of lying.
    I know you didn't. Sorry, I didn't meant to imply that you did. Although I quoted you, my comment wasn't directed specifically AT you--it was more to the thread in general, because every now and then when Hickman's "mystery gay" comes up, the tone of posts starts to sound like people feel like he broke a promise or that he owes us something...and that isn't really fair, since he told us up front what to expect (or NOT expect, as may be more appropriate here).

I do think the "only if it comes up" excuse is bullshit. He's the writer - he's the one who decides what comes up in the story. And he made the decision - consciously or not - that it wouldn't come up in the story, at least not so far.
    I agree, and THAT is where I feel frustration with him is completely justified.

On the one hand, I think he actually has a good intention here--I think the "not addressing it unless it becomes relevant" is his way of making sure it isn't just a "token gay character". And that is a good principle, since we don't want gay character to end up being defined by their sexuality and nothing else.

But the problem is society isn't yet to the point where sexuality just doesn't matter...and we need to have that representation to help get to that point. Having a gay character but not letting that character be 'out' (to the readers, at least, if not to all the characters) completely misses the point of inclusiveness and representation. I think it is a case of good intentions, poor execution.

That's why, if Avengers #34 does reveal Hyperion as gay, I'll wonder if editorial made the decision to have Ewing write the issue specifically to avoid another Secret Warriors situation.
    Possible...but I'd be a little surprised at editorial bringing in a guest writer specifically to 'out' a character who is being written by a different writer on a regular basis. But you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Possible...but I'd be a little surprised at editorial bringing in a guest writer specifically to 'out' a character who is being written by a different writer on a regular basis. But you never know.
    There's been a fair bit of irritation at the fact that Hickman (and Spencer, now) haven't revealed the LGBT Avenger. I can definitely see editorial taking action to make sure the character does get outed, just because, if it's another Secret Warriors situation, people are going to be pissed. I think a lot of people would be outright offended if the series came and went, and there was still no openly LGBT Avenger.

So, yeah, if Hyperion is outed next week, I'm going to go ahead and guess it was an editorial decision.

Astonishing Member

There's been a fair bit of irritation at the fact that Hickman (and Spencer, now) haven't revealed the LGBT Avenger. I can definitely see editorial taking action to make sure the character does get outed, just because, if it's another Secret Warriors situation, people are going to be pissed. I think a lot of people would be outright offended if the series came and went, and there was still no openly LGBT Avenger.
    Granted, but those of us who are upset about it are also a small percentage of the overall readership...since Hickman only discussed having the gay character in a single Q&A thread at a single message board. The readers who don't go on the boards (or who do go on the boards, but at a different forum, or who simply happen to be unaware of that particular Q&A thread) are entirely unaware of the situation. I'm just not sure if there is enough fan outrage over the issue to justify editorial getting directly involved.

I also wonder why they'd feel the need to bring in Ewing specifically to do it. Even if Hickman were to object to doing it himself, there is still Spencer--he is actually a regular writer on an Avengers book with Hyperion in it; between the two of them Spencer is the one who is putting more panel-time into character spotlight and development; and Spencer has a history of LGBT inclusiveness (his MORNING GLORIES book has gay characters; he hinted at Superia being lesbian in SECRET AVENGERS, etc). Since Spencer is one of Hyperion's regular writers, and is more willing than Hickman to show gay characters it would seem to make more sense for editorial to tell him to out him, rather than bring in a guest writer.

So, yeah, if Hyperion is outed next week, I'm going to go ahead and guess it was an editorial decision.
    Yeah, if it happens, it probably is. Its just not a decision I'd expect editorial to make, that's all.

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    If someone comes up to you and hits on you with a line like 'Hey, I just had the Demiurge to come talk to you' or 'Hey, you just gave me a Demiurge in my pants' then they are clearly a keeper.
    That's the best pick-up line I have heard, and I have heard some terrible ones. "The Demiurge." This is perfect.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

That's the best pick-up line I have heard, and I have heard some terrible ones. "The Demiurge." This is perfect.
    Oh yeah, I'm smooth
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

That's my hope. I think if it doesn't happen here, then it's just plain not going to happen, and we'll only find out who the LGBT character was in an interview after the book finishes.
    And if that's the case, then it'll be bullshit and Hickman will deserve to be yelled at over it.
    QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!! If Hickman "pulls a Stonewall" (and not in a good way ) AGAIN!!! My god, I'd loose all respect for him. For someone so intelligent, it's amazing how much he is ignorant and oblivious to a very simple concept of representation vs. lip service.

Yeah, he didn't lie, but I didn't accuse him of lying. I do think the "only if it comes up" excuse is bullshit. He's the writer - he's the one who decides what comes up in the story. And he made the decision - consciously or not - that it wouldn't come up in the story, at least not so far.
    So much THIS!!! It's a poor, weak, lazy, OFFENSIVE excuse. Much like fobbling off comments about Star Trek's lack of LGBT characters with "we always keep trying to put them in, but it never works out." What doesn't work out? You growing a pair and putting them in? YEAH, we know it doesn't "work out".

Quote Originally Posted by Magnito View Post
    Then... what's the point in having one. It would be like having a minority character that wears a full covering Spider-Man type suit and never takes it off, ever. If you are not going to show off or even acknowledge the diversity, are you really being diverse?
    I like how Mighty Avengers has nearly all non-POC in masks or "greened up" when on the team. But imagine that was reveresed? YEAH you can bet people would complain (rightly so).

When characters such as Wiccan exist, I question why fictional characters are fictional. I would date Wiccan so hard, but, alas, he's both taken and fictional.

I wore this to Pride and shall be doing the same to a con tomorrow.
    Attachment 9321
    You're GLORIOUS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    With the news of new Miracleman stories, I was wondering if we should include him here? He's openly bisexual.

Through the whole series has some LGBT+ themes. Not all representation is good thought (there's rape at some point... is Alan Moore what where you expecting?). Gaiman's run features a lesbian woman in a side story and that cliffhanger from issue 24 which ended up unresolved. I assume in Gaiman's run there were more plans to include LGBTQ+ characters considering the utopian aspects of the series. I really need to give it a re-read, got the feeling that I'm missing something else. But yeah, Marvel is currently publishing a comic book with a bisexual lead.
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh... awesome (EDIT - added to the OP). Does he have a mini coming out soon? Should I add that to the list of LGBT mini-series?

We'll find out tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Granted, but those of us who are upset about it are also a small percentage of the overall readership...since Hickman only discussed having the gay character in a single Q&A thread at a single message board. The readers who don't go on the boards (or who do go on the boards, but at a different forum, or who simply happen to be unaware of that particular Q&A thread) are entirely unaware of the situation. I'm just not sure if there is enough fan outrage over the issue to justify editorial getting directly involved.
    Sadly (as we've seen on these boards) more people defend Hickman over this; either oblivious to the lack of any LGBT Avengers or oblivious to the fact "gay in name only" isn't acceptable in 2014... smh...

EDIT - I don't me you Dermie, by the way. You're right in your points, I am indirectly referencing other threads.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 09-09-2014 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    With the news of new Miracleman stories, I was wondering if we should include him here? He's openly bisexual.

Eh. That first scene with Gargunza wasn't exactly sexual/romantic. MM even says himself that the guy is practically his father.
    I haven't seen the second one though. What issue is that from?

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh... awesome (EDIT - added to the OP). Does he have a mini coming out soon? Should I add that to the list of LGBT mini-series?
    He's getting a annual in december. Also next year is when Neil Gaiman will finally finish the story and resolve the cliffhanger of issue 24 (that's the image of him kissing Young Marvelman... the book was canceled and the cliffhanger was never resolved).

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Eh. That first scene with Gargunza wasn't exactly sexual/romantic. MM even says himself that the guy is practically his father.
    I haven't seen the second one though. What issue is that from?
    Issue 24.

So any news on Hyperion being outed in today's issue? I'll get it when I head to the shop next Wednesday (it's Al Ewing, so either way it's worth getting).

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    So any news on Hyperion being outed in today's issue? I'll get it when I head to the shop next Wednesday (it's Al Ewing, so either way it's worth getting).
    Didn't happen.

Astonishing Member

Just to let those know that Avengers Undercover #10 (the Series' Finale ) has a special scene with some familiar "couples" there (and those who've read Runaways & Avengers Academy already know who they are).

Yeah, I posted that pic on a different thread.

Attachment 9499

Young heroes acting like young people. Love this page. Great seeing all the Runaways back together (minus Victor... who is maybe hanging with his AI pals). Little confused how Old Lace is still alive (didn't she die?) but still love seeing her act like a giant dog, which is kinda what she is. Klara is even there. She hasn't been shown in forever.

Chase is considerably more buff than he has ever been before. Older too, but he's probably 20 by now. Not that I'm complaining.
    Only couple is Karolina and Julie. Although... maybe Cullen and Striker will hit it off.

Only couple is Karolina and Julie. Although... maybe Cullen and Striker will hit it off.
    I don't know. I can't see Cullen putting up with Striker and his wanna-be-famous attitude.
    Might make for an interesting relationship though. One that in contrast to Billy and Teddy's lovey-dovey relationship has a lot more friction.
    Actually, that might be quite interesting to read.