Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    You're missing one huge factor here: Cebulski was a talent scout at the time, which means a lot of those pitches were being given to him and then being given to Akira Yoshida. That is a HUGE conflict of interest and puts the whole merit thing into question.
    Ultimately, this is an internal matter. Marvel has all the information on exactly what happened, in full detail - more than would be publicly known. It's on them to investigate what terms Cebulski violated and decide what their appropriate response should be. And they've already done this. Quite some time ago.

Having people far, far outside the situation try and deem what should or shouldn't be done after the fact is ridiculous.

I expect most people wouldn't like it much if everyone else took it upon themselves to poke their nose into their workplace and try and second guess every decision that was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    I have that run, and remember it fondly.

I did find it unusual that a Japanese writer would have a Thor story in mind, of all things.
    As opposed to... an American writer having a pitch about a Nordic god?
    People aren't bound to their own culture, you know.
    #EmmaWasRight

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I expect most people wouldn't like it much if everyone else took it upon themselves to poke their nose into their workplace and try and second guess every decision that was made.
    Well, thankfully none of us are big name male celebs in the entertainment/media business, huh?

(please, don't think I am comparing or equating these situations, but at the same time let's not act like we don't all get outraged at comic industry drama every other week either)

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Well, thankfully none of us are big name male celebs in the entertainment/media business, huh?

(please, don't think I am comparing or equating these situations, but at the same time let's not act like we don't all get outraged at comic industry drama every other week either)
    eh....only certain posters do. I don't pay much attention to the front page here anymore since it's pretty cluttered with goofy lists.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainLiberty76 View Post
    "Here we go around the Cebulski bush, the Cebulski bush, the Cebulski bush. Here we go round the Cebulski bush so early in the morning. We all fall down." REALLY, I think we've flogged this proverbial horse right down to the desiccated bone.
    Good luck CB, everything's going to be fine.
    34 pages...SHEESH, he who is without sin, throw the first stone.
    I know of several people that lied to get jobs. I did it a couple of times. I said that I had worked at some places that I didn't to get my foot in the door.

But because CB changed his name to a Japanese one, the SJW are in full force saying "OMG racizm!! how could he do that to Asians everywhere!".

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    As opposed to... an American writer having a pitch about a Nordic god?
    People aren't bound to their own culture, you know.
    That’s true.

It’s still weird.

Do you know of any Japanese writers tackling the Norse myths?
    Or African writers?

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    I know of several people that lied to get jobs. I did it a couple of times. I said that I had worked at some places that I didn't to get my foot in the door.

But because CB changed his name to a Japanese one, the SJW are in full force saying "OMG racizm!! how could he do that to Asians everywhere!".
    And they have been fired.

See College football coaches.
    Others lying about military service

BANNED

And they have been fired.

See College football coaches.
    Others lying about military service
    Well said.

That’s true.

It’s still weird.

Do you know of any Japanese writers tackling the Norse myths?
    Or African writers?
    I vaguely remember at least one anime about Loki who was basnished to earth in the form of a young boy. Don't remember the name though.
    I'm sure there's more. There's manga/anime about all kinds of stuff. But unless it becomes really popular, people in the West generally don't learn of it.
    #EmmaWasRight

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    I vaguely remember at least one anime about Loki who was basnished to earth in the form of a young boy. Don't remember the name though.
    I'm sure there's more. There's manga/anime about all kinds of stuff. But unless it becomes really popular, people in the West generally don't learn of it.
    There is always Vinlad Saga (about Vikings),

there is also Ten no Hate made: Poland Hishi
    manga about Polish Prince Poniatkowski (18th century)
    and many more

Buddha (manga)
    Kingdom manga) about china
    Historie (manga) ancient Greece and Alexander the Great
    Last edited by Xelossik; 11-30-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Exactly. Surprised this hasn't come up because unless they paid him cash in an envelope (which hasn't been done in years in big companies) they have to have your SSN for taxes and whatnot. One of the first jobs I had still had a payroll window where you got your cash out of the till plus your payroll statement
    yeah, this is something I'm curious about too... though I have no idea how it works with hiring people from other countries, in the US Social Security numbers and taxes and stuff play a pretty big part of payroll.

As much as I LOVE the idea of giving a fake name and having a secret Identity.. .I'm not really sure how the logistics of that would actually work...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post

It's one thing to comment and speculate on industry matters as curious outsiders but some of the more vehement fans out there think that somehow, even though they're not privy to all the facts in a case and are not directly involved in the situation in any way, that they have the moral right to demand that a person's employers should fire them.

That's overstepping by quite a bit.

Also, I'm sure Cebulski would be flattered to hear himself described as a "big name male celeb!"

Incredible Member

The whole situation is really bizarre but from what I've read I don't get the sense that there was any type of malicious intent behind what he did. The guy obviously made a mistake but it was a long time ago & Marvel dealt with it & they've apparently chosen to not to hold this against him in his career with them so it is what it is.

From what I can tell the guy seemed sincere with the statement he put out addressing the whole thing so I'm satisfied with that & am choosing to move beyond this & focused more on seeing what his thoughts are about the future of Marvel publishing & what he might be looking to change or keep the same.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Exactly. Surprised this hasn't come up because unless they paid him cash in an envelope (which hasn't been done in years in big companies) they have to have your SSN for taxes and whatnot. One of the first jobs I had still had a payroll window where you got your cash out of the till plus your payroll statement
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    yeah, this is something I'm curious about too... though I have no idea how it works with hiring people from other countries, in the US Social Security numbers and taxes and stuff play a pretty big part of payroll.

As much as I LOVE the idea of giving a fake name and having a secret Identity.. .I'm not really sure how the logistics of that would actually work...
    Lots of freelancers start their own ‘businesses’, for various financial and tax reasons, even if it’s just themselves working there. And you can have a business account at a bank under your business name and have clients write checks out to your business name and then you don’t have to give out your SSN to any and everybody you do jobs for. So the bank would know his real name, but banks don’t give out that info.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    Actually this is complicated for me.
    I think that racism is the belief in the superiority of one race over another, which often results in discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity.
    so I don't understand why this was a racist.
    Pretending to belong to a race one doesn't belong to is racist. Because it is treating that race as, essentially, a choice. Something one can choose to be. But it's not a choice.

Please show me proof that this is true.

You wrote some statements that looks like strange :

Please show me that these statements are true and that racism has anything with this.
    What if Marvel prefers personal recommendations and writers who belongs to other groups (racial or other) don't want to talk with white writers because they think like you? (that white writers are inferior to them)?
    The fact that it took until 2016 for Marvel to hire a black female writer is a pretty good indication that the system's rigged. Comics is very much based on Who You Know. And it's a whole lot of white people who know a whole lot of white people. Like, do you honestly, genuinely believe that people of colour get the same opportunities in the industry that white guys get? They don't. The mainstream comics industry, from the top right to the bottom, across every established publisher, is goddamn racist and sexist. They are just not willing to give opportunities to women and POC (and especially to WOC). A quick look at the gender and racial make-up of any publisher's creative line-up gives a pretty good indication of just how incredibly unbalanced the system is.

Unless you think that no black women got to write for Marvel because there just wasn't a single talented black woman in the entirety of the comic industry prior to 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I suppose the main thing is whether the good has done since outweighs the bad? Has he truly learned his lesson and works to diversify comics both on the pages and behind the scenes or is it just a way to make him look better as you believe.

The thing is, that whether his intentions are true or not he is still the best chance we have at getting more representation in Marvel. Should we overlook the bad in the past because of the possible good that may come in the future?
    I personally won't call for him to be fired because genuine or not, he does give more Asian talent chances and a foot in the door. I don't want Marvel to pass that up.
    There's plenty of other potential EiC's who could promote diverse creators, too. Look, I'm not going to say people are wrong for thinking the good he's done outweighs the bad. I will say people are 100% wrong for thinking what he did wasn't wrong at all.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Many female writers used male pen names in literature. There isn't a difference if it's race or gender.
    IT! IS! NOT! THE! SAME! FRIGGING! THING!

It's not. It's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not .

It is, in no way, even remotely the same thing.

Do you know why women use male pen names? Or why people of colour use Anglicized pen/stage names? Because Western entertainment is awful. Because female writers still get less respect and have more trouble getting published in the majority of genres. People with "ethnic" names are less likely to get hired. There are countless stories out there about this ****.

IT IS NOT THE SAME THING.

No one gets rejected for having a white dude name. It doesn't happen. But having a female name? Having an "ethnic" name? People get rejected with those names all the time.

The very idea of comparing a guy who was already getting consistent work in the industry to someone who has to make the difficult decision to use a name that hides who they are because their real name makes it more difficult for them to get work is balls-out goddamn stupid. I'm not going to sugar-coat this: It is a stupid comparison. It is incredibly stupid, and it comes from a place of not giving a single wet hot **** about the struggles that other people have to go through to have careers in fields they love. It pretends that the world is a total meritocracy and no one ever faces any obstacles based on gender or race or anything else, and it is one of the stupidest things in the world.

Holy ****.