Page 41 of 661 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141541 ... LastLast
    Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
    Held blinked in disbelief as the woman explained herself.

It wasn't even her claims that shocked him so wildly, as much what she knew.

While it would probably be obvious enough to those who paid attention that he was a Nevadian, the details of his journey--especially how long he had been earthbound---was not something that anyone would simply know from casual conversation.

Even more disturbing was the way that she used the word 'protected', when describing his situation.

Held was very quiet about the details of how he had arrived on earth. A routine travel across the solar system to a planet not far out of Nevadas solar system, in desperate need of supplies. A simple journey, a some trade, and perhaps some haggling and negotiating.

Even the route to the planet itself was peaceful, lacking anything that should have qualified as a danger.

And yet.

Held had awoken to find his ship in the midst of hell. Debris littered the location, asteroids littering the location, threatening to shower his vessel with a rain of death and destruction. He couldn't understand what had happened. Energy was cascading forth in waves, pushing the debris further still.

He had input the coordinates correctly, and checked his route. Nothing like this should have been present! Even worse, according to the maps, this was indeed the destination.

A glitch in his ship? Some sort of navigational hiccup? He did not have the luxury of determining what had went wrong.

Haste. In his desperation, a single imprecise movement a single drink, in the wrong place, in the wrong time, shorted out what seemed to be a very particular piece of equipment. He remembered his fear, and his frustration as his ship refused to heed his commands.

And then he remembered darkness, waking up in the wreckage of his once beautiful ship, banged up but miraculously uninjured. A planet. An inhabited one, but one he was unfamiliar with.

He shuddered slightly, as he pushed the incident from his mind, focusing on the here and now.

"....I did think I was a bit too lucky that day, even for me." Held said at last, examining the apparition, slowly choosing his words, and mulling over his choices, "Even now, it would have taken a miracle to survive even if I had managed to take the helm...."

Still, talk about unlucky.....Then again, I guess I'm quite fortunate compared to the inhabitants of that planet.....But it still just doesn't---Focus, Held. We can walk that bridge for the trillionth time later.

"Well, that doesn't matter." Held replied, moving off of the subject, "Let's assume I do owe you one, somehow, and that you kept me from becoming intergalactic roadkill...Let's just take everything you've said at face value, since I can't think of any other way you know as much as you do....."

He looked over the Dragonball in his hand, as if it were a toy, turning it slowly, as if trying to appraise it.

"These things can grant wishes? You just grab seven of them and there you go?"

Held found this to be hard to believe, to put it mildly.

"I guess that would explain why the Red Raiders were after them, if they really think that's the case but....Is that really true?"

Held returned his attention to Chou, his body still the mouthpiece for....Kami, was it?

"Has this ever happened? Are you basing your entire plan on a hope? A legend? Am I to understand you would have me--that you would have us--go search for these things based on mere heresay? What is so wicked that you so no other choice but to resort to a miracle?"

Held paused for a moment, as if realizing something. He turned his gaze from Chous body, to Kami herself.

"For that matter, why could you not do this yourself? Either defeat whatever is coming this way, or locate these things? I can't think that someone with your..."

He struggled for the word. Insight? Foresight? Understanding?

"I don't know how strong you are, but I can't imagine you to be weak....Do you really think this is necessary? If half of what you claim is true, I don't see what help I could possibly offer that is beyond your means, indebted to you or not."
    "The last time was just over 300 years ago. I should know, as I was the one who summoned the dragon to grant my wishes via the dragonballs. As to doing it myself, my position makes me powerful, true, but it also comes with certain rules. Many guardians prefer to take a more neutral, observance, stance on their planet's fate, acting as little more than it's historical recorder. I, however, do not appreciate doing nothing. As such, I have used what power I can to.....tilt the odds in my, and Earth's, favor. You understand stacking the deck, yes?"

She grins.

"As to necessary? No, it's not. What will befall this planet in the near future has little bearing on the universe now. But I'd rather see you all thrive, survive, and prove your merit to the universe rather than go out with a whimper."
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by KamenRaida View Post
    It exists.

His breath stilled for a moment, as if unable, or unwilling, to believe the vindication of his travels.

“Please,” Koorimaru’s voice tapered to an uncertain whisper, “I have travelled far to find this room of spirit and time. I need it to fix... I need its power. Tell me how I can access it.”

"The room resides upon the Lookout, my home. It was partially destroyed some three centuries ago and I have not gotten around to fixing it yet. However......"

The overwhelming power in the old women turns and looks at him.

"You scratch my back, I scratch yours. I can begin fixing it and, most likely, have it repaired in a year."
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Torment View Post
    Before the talking began, Chuan was a little scared. He was an unlicensed acupuncturist, not an exorcist! He didn't know what was wrong with Chou, and he sure couldn't figure out a way to fix him. Yet after the mysterious woman's attempt to reassure them, he felt like it wouldn't be too bad to trust her. Maybe it was naivete speaking, but she seemed legit. Still, he had to know a few things.

"Errr... Hey, Kami. I don't mean to interrupt, but are we the only people that you're asking? I mean, it'd be great if there were more than four of us trying to make things right. A quartet trying to stop a global disaster would be a pretty big burden, you know."

Held had a better set of questions, so he let those stand. There was one more that he had to ask, though.

"Why us? We're okay at fighting, and maybe at being people. That's not really a qualification, though. There's plenty of others that excel at both!"

"There are others, Chuan. Three other groups who, like you, are being shown a path. You'll meet each other soon, I feel. As to why you.....why not? Someone has to, and I have seen great potential in each of you."
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Sol_M View Post
    Kabuto's eyes widened as the wizened old creature rose from the darkness. Not that anyone would be able to see it.

What a curious one this was. His entire form crackled with power as he knocked the horned earthling back with contemptuous ease.

It was as though his body lost the strength to move, to breathe, even. His fell to the floor, knees first.

He could only look on as the rest of the group launched a new series of attacks at their enemy, causing a small part of the mine to collapse.

There was nothing he could do, he couldn't even move, lest he fell over.

"Eyy, waitaminute...."

How could he lose his balance now? After all this time, how could he forget? This planet's gravity was nothing, nothing compared to what he was used to as a grubling.

"Silly me. Oh well, it haz been a while since I've dealt with thiz much gravity, I suppose."

He planted one foot below him. He rose slightly. Then he planted another. He was on his feet now. His entire form quivered and shook, like taut wires when strummed, but he was standing.

He spoke strenuously, as though all his concentration was in keeping upright. "Well...iiiifthatzz...the best you can...d-do...you'll have too-ahhh-"

With that, Kabuto's legs went out from under him, and he fell flat on his face.

Okay, maybe he was still a bit rusty. No problem, he could pull this off. As soon as his face wasn't buried in the dirt.

"Jufft..goovvv muuee a momnt. Ayll kick yor aff", he called out in a muffled voice.
    The gravity effect has worn off now, as the mage is distracted by the falling debris.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Zaofan looked a little incredulous, but still managed a slight, if stilted, bow towards the possessed Chou. "Excuse me. I must concur. It's not just because we're decent fighters, is it? There must be something more. If you're capable of watching us, then you saw how we fared against the Red Raiders. It was not pretty by any means." He then collapsed Bojack back into its capsule.

Zaofan took a good look at each of the other three separately. "What do we each bring to the table? What connects us? Chuan is a healer. Chou is some sort of, I don't know, a magician. And what's a Nevadian anyway? I'm a simple traveler just passing through. I would like to help, I really would, but it would be good to know what's at stake here, and why us."
    Kami/Chou shrugs.

"Does it matter? People believe that to be chosen means one has to be special. You are chosen because, at this moment in time, you are the ones best suited to the task. As I told Chuan, there are others however. As to what is at stake.........lives. Thousands, millions, and further down the road, may hap entire planets."
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell's Brigade View Post
    The man, staggered by Slak's eye beams, takes the blast and is thrown into the back wall. However, he appears only minimally damaged.
    Sasheem succeeds in grappling his ankles and slamming the man to the ground.
    Seeing the man slammed to the ground by hands from the ground, Shiro dropped the shield and Midori charged in, rearing her leg back and swinging a kick toward the fallen man's chin.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Forced to her knees, by the increase of gravity forced upon her; Ishtar found the memories returning. Of a lesson taught early on, about the second son and its sparks; and with a sigh, the gift of the Armaiti was ended and the chi receded.

"I see."

She started channeling then; to embrace the gift of the second son so that it might be used for a purpose... But Charco shattered her focus. With a roar reminiscent with that of a dinosaur, the young man blasted a hole through the ceiling; and as the stones began to fall she realized there was wisdom in this. To distract that wizened old wizard, and potentially bring the roof down upon all of them.

It also gave her time to refocus and focus her chi for another purpose. Pooling her chi into her legs, and her horns, she dug her toes into the earth beneath her. It was as before, a headbutt, but the force of her motion, might be enough to catapult her forward- and with hope, carry her horn-first into the urn.
    Before you get going, you notice that Asha'rah has stolen the urn away from the mage.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

"Yes. Very strong."
    Hm, well, this was precisely what he wanted. One of his mother's core teachings had been that, while it's possible to become strong just through training with the proper motivation, the best teacher was real battle experience. In particular, against opponents of (roughly) equal or greater power.

He wanted to get stronger, that was clear, but his reasons for doing so... well, his main reason was to see just how far he could push himself. And, if he hit his limit, whether or not he could surpass that. A simple desire, yes, and one likely born out of his Saiyan side, but it could probably sustain him until the day he died

"Awesome. I'm in," he said.
    Last edited by Monstrous Bird of Qin, Ou Ki; 01-13-2018 at 12:44 AM.
    The poster formerly known as Daiyoukai Ramza.

Quote Originally Posted by IGee View Post
    Ajna hadn't been caught unaware this time, though he hadn't expected an attack of this sort so it took a moment to adjust. His knees almost hit the ground before he he surged back straight, and he was grateful for the time he'd spent restoring his reserves as ki held him aloft where a normal body would not have.

Those reserves wouldn't last forever. He was out of practice, and out of shape. Never had he regretted neglecting his training so much. After this, Ajna promised himself he'd change that.

Having watched Ishtar recover quickly from being wall splatted, Ajna waited for an opportunity to attack in synch with the others from multiple different angles. That should increase the likelihood of at least one landing an effective hit.

That, and it would hopefully keep him from getting hit by any friendly fire as every one reacted to the gravity based attack in their own way.

Now! Taking advantage of such an eye drawing attack, Ajna moved.

The floor cracked beneath his feet for the first few steps as he again was forced to adjust the flow of ki. Circling the room, snaking in from the side and increasing the difficulty for their opponent to keep them all within his sights and thus create openings. If that was possible, any way.

This was, after all, no normal man.

A large piece of stone slammed down right next to him and shattered with a crash, razor sharp shrapnel exploding out in a spray that Ajna was forced to swerve to avoid. It served as a reminder him to keep an eye out for environmental hazards created by the fight and not just the flashy energy attacks. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Ishtar begin mounting an attack of her own.

An idea blooming in his head all of a sudden, Ajna began to watch the damaged ceiling critically for a moment.

At first he had planned to use his armored forearms as a shield to close the distance in what he had named his "Batteringshell" as a child. But now..

The plan was simple: Ajna would wait for a larger chunk of stone to fall. He would jump above it, and follow in the blind spot it created to get near enough to engage.

And once he was within arms reach, well..

Even rusty, up close and personal was where both Genbudo and Ajna himself were at their most effective. Or, at least, the techniques Ajna was practiced with were all of that sort. Another thing he would have to do something about. He'd just have to make due with what he knew well for now.

A piece of rubble large enough for his purposes fell, and Ajna left the ground in a high, arcing leaping arc that took him to the ceiling. During his flight, Ajna reoriented himself so his feet would strike first, and boy did they. Hitting the wall almost numbed them, but he ignored it and kicked off, catching up with piece of falling earth.

Ajna plummeted the ten feet just above the Wizard just behind his mountainous camouflage, invisible to any viewing him from the opposite perspective.
    You plan works, and hidden among the debris, he does not notice you.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Sion Reaver View Post
    It was the last part that made Karine mentally freeze. Kami? As in the Japanese word for god? She was God or just a deity? How did she know this woman was for real? Multitude of questions plagued the young woman's mind with more questions then answers. "An guardian of earth? This..is..I'm not sure how to take it. What do you need our help with? And further, what would get in return since you mentioned mentioned we all are seeking something."

She didn't know what to make of this entity possessing the girl's body but even if she couldn't properly sense them, on a primal level she understood they were powerful. "...And on another note, is your name truly Kami? That's another word for God if I'm not mistaken.."

"I need assistance with a few tasks for the betterment of the world, and even perhaps beyond it. You get what you've all been seeking, I get the satisfaction of thumbing my nose at the higher deities who decide that mortals affairs do not concern them. And Earth surviving."

She shrugs.

"Kami is the name I took 300 years ago from the last Kami. Some have refereed to the title as 'God', but that is incorrect. Guardian is more apt to my role. I am not a Kaoshin or a true God, after all."
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by KamenRaida View Post
    Of course. Always a trade to be had, isn't there.

"And what would you need our assistance for?" Koorimaru inquired, "Surely, if you claim guardianship over this entire planet, anything that three of your people and four out-wolders could provide should mean little and less."

"My role comes with perks, but also with.....rules. Things a Kami cannot do and can do. Many simply watch and observe, but I detest such things. I wish for this planet to thrive, survive, and become more. As I cannot interfere directly in many ways, I have decided to cheat and garner the aid of powerful...avatars, if you will. That would be yourselves and the other three groups I have approached."
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    Sarada had literally never heard of a Kami before. But, given how her power was messing with her scouter, she wasn't someone to take lightly.

"You know what I'm looking for?" Power. Acceptance. Freedom. Each one led directly to the one following it. Her entire life would turn around in a heartbeat the moment she got stronger. She would be welcomed home with open arms, hailed as the Saiyan Elite she was destined to be.

If this Kami person had the means to help her, she supposed she could help her in return.

"I want power and strength. If you have the means to help me train, then I'm in."

Wait, God?

She heard that one woman who nearly lost her shit because she called out the half-breed a little while ago say that Kami meant 'god'. Sarada -- like all Saiyans -- didn't believe in gods. They were all fairy tales made up by lesser beings to help them become complacent with their own mediocrity. The only thing worth deifying was strength.

"I thought gods we're supposed to be all-powerful," she stated bluntly. "What kind of deity needs help from 'lowly' mortals?"
    Her scouter shorts out as the women's ki suddenly spikes well past what the scouter could pick up, before drifting down again to a more regular level.

"Power comes in many forms. An asteroid is powerful if it impacts the planet, but otherwise is little more than a rock in space, no intelligence and no drive. I am not a deity, but I am powerful in ways you cannot fathom, Saiyan Sarada who fled the Meat market. Powerful enough to help you obtain your hearts desire."
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Seeing the man slammed to the ground by hands from the ground, Shiro dropped the shield and Midori charged in, rearing her leg back and swinging a kick toward the fallen man's chin.
    The blow lands and sends the man flying upwards and back, slamming into a dumpster when he lands.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Monstrous Bird of Qin, Ou Ki View Post
    Hm, well, this was precisely what he wanted. One of his mother's core teachings had been that, while it's possible to become strong just through training with the proper motivation, the best teacher was real battle experience. In particular, against opponents of (roughly) equal or greater power.

He wanted to get stronger, that was clear, but his reasons for doing so... well, his main reason was to see just how far he could push himself. And, if he hit his limit, whether or not he could surpass that. A simple desire, yes, and one likely born out of his Saiyan side, but it could probably sustain him until the day he died

"Awesome. I'm in," he said.
    The woman smiles.

"Excellent. My thanks, Totoma."
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

The blow lands and sends the man flying upwards and back, slamming into a dumpster when he lands.
    When the man hots the dumpster, Sasheem decides to 'swim' a few feet away to hit him with his Majin Lightning, from his antennae. Normally, this would render a foe unable to move and then transform then into an edible treat of Sasheem's choosing, but this enemy was too powerful for all that, Sasheem figured.

Instead the man would only only get struck with the lightning's paralysis...Sasheem just hopes it'd last long enough for either him or the others to do some lasting damage to this annoyance before he could move again.