Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Good catch.

I pointed that out a few times on other sites when Secret Invasion first happened. No one seemed to have heard of MILLENNIUM...
    In fairness, it was an old event whereas Secret Invasion came out in the 2000s.

BANNED

Yes millennium was secret invasioning DC before Secret Invasion was even a glimmer in Bendis eye. However can't say which was the better one.
    Its ironic thatMillennium was occurring just as Wally was having his first "downfall" after being reduced to being penniless pauper forced to eat trash and all that. Sadly Wally seems to attract such storylines sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    In fairness, it was an old event whereas Secret Invasion came out in the 2000s.
    In double fairness, I’M an old event.

But I still found it odd. I guess I expect ppl in the same hobby to have a certain knowledge level, at least being aware of things. I mean, i’ve never read (old) FALL OF THE MUTANTS, EVOLUTIONARY WAR, or (recent) BLACKEST NIGHT, TRINITY WAR, but I know what they are, if only because they pertain to comics in general, so I can carry on a conversation.

These folks I spoke to about MILLENNIUM acted as if the event didn’t exist because it was old, and it was too much trouble to use the internet (which they were already on) to look it up and verify my statements as to the similarities.
    I don’t wanna say “kids today”, but yeah...

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I'm gonna groan. Even if I never read a Martian Manhunter story in my life. Because it reeks of the same thing as DC's usual habit of "put a hero down or kill them or change them for one year before bringing them back for a triumphant return and increase of sales"

It's just... MGGGH

If DC has never done that kind of thing I'll be at least intrigued, but after all the other instances, no. Done!

Other than Hal Jordan, who else has gone the suggested route? I’m drawing a blank.

A quick Google didnt really give me anything that fit, just alt versions, which isn’t quite the same.

BANNED

Captain Atom in countdown became Monarch and started universal conquest andl annihilation till he was stopped by Superboy Prime of all people.

^^^Well that’s one!

And it’s a good one (though Cap has never achieved the level of post villainy success as Hal); also a good example of executive meddling, as it wasn’t supposed to even be Cap. Not saying the event would have been any better w. a Hawk reveal, but I always wanted to see things as originally intended.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 09-22-2019 at 09:57 AM.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    Captain Atom in countdown became Monarch and started universal conquest andl annihilation till he was stopped by Superboy Prime of all people.
    Yep. That was and has always been pretty damned awesome.

I remember reading that when I was a kid 2001 and I was really happy when they brought the monarch back.

J'onn though... I'm torn... I'd like him to have something more than what he has, in terms of popularity.

And the secret invasion... I'd likely read it.
    But I feel like the hyperclan started that a long time ago...

That being said.... I feel like someone loves this character way more than I do, and I wouldn't want my favorite to become something different from what they've been.

It's hard to was a bunch of chaotic evil off cleanly.

He needs some love and a win or two.... but making him a bad guy seems... like low hanging fruit as comic storytelling goes.

In fact... The flies in the face of everything about the character I Now that I think about it.

He supposed to be someone who isn't traditionally beautiful, and who is weird, but who challenges our perceptions... And isn't evil
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Yep. That was and has always been pretty damned awesome.

I remember reading that when I was a kid 2001 and I was really happy when they brought the monarch back.

J'onn though... I'm torn... I'd like him to have something more than what he has, in terms of popularity.

That being said.... I feel like someone loves this character way more than I do, and I wouldn't want my favorite to become something different from what they've been.

It's hard to was a bunch of chaotic evil off cleanly.

He needs some love and a win or two.... but making him a bad guy seems... like low hanging fruit as comic storytelling goes.

In fact... The flies in the face of everything about the character I Now that I think about it.

He supposed to be someone who isn't traditionally beautiful, and who is weird, but who challenges our perceptions... And isn't evil
    Yes I agree with all your points but the DC editorial does tend to put their stock in such stories as evident from the recent storylines where villainous versions of Superman and Batman's father's have appeared and Wally has committed involuntary manslaughter while six heroes have turned to the dark side due to the Batman who laughs so the op feels that no character is safe in the current DC climate.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Well that’s one!

And it’s a good one (though Cap has never achieved the level of post villainy success as Hal); also a good example of executive meddling, as it wasn’t supposed to even be Cap. Not saying the event would have been any better w. a Hawk reveal, but I always wanted to see things as originally intended.
    Well that does seem intriguing.

Retired

The very first time I saw the Martian Manhunter in any comic was in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA No. 52 (March 1967) and it was in this scene--

--where Hawkman tangles with the criminal mastermind, Faceless. Only to discover--

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Yeah, it might come off a bit 'seen that already' in a post-Hyperclan, post-Marvel's Secret Invasion sort of world. (Not that, IMO, the Hyperclan stuff was done particularly well...)

Given how superheroes are, in general, hawt, hawt, HAWT, and dressed to leave little to the imagination, it is neat that MM breaks that mold and has a more traditionally villain-ous appearance. And also amusing that Miss Martian partially goes back to the standard, and generally presents as a pretty human girl with red hair and green skin, and not a bald bumpy-headed alien. (Cause the *girl* characters can't not be hot...)

DC has already done an evil Martian Manhunter story in JLA. It was called Trial by Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    Well that does seem intriguing.
    My bad; I came in to edit my post saw you’d quoted me.

Hank Hall was a last minute change by DC. Monarch was going to be Captain Atom, and there were clues in ARMAGEDDON 2001 to lead up to it. The reveal was leaked though, and Hawk was shoehorned in there to try and keep the surprise.
    It didn’t do either character any favors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, it might come off a bit 'seen that already' in a post-Hyperclan, post-Marvel's Secret Invasion sort of world. (Not that, IMO, the Hyperclan stuff was done particularly well...)

Given how superheroes are, in general, hawt, hawt, HAWT, and dressed to leave little to the imagination, it is neat that MM breaks that mold and has a more traditionally villain-ous appearance. And also amusing that Miss Martian partially goes back to the standard, and generally presents as a pretty human girl with red hair and green skin, and not a bald bumpy-headed alien. (Cause the *girl* characters can't not be hot...)
    ^^^lol good point!
    Oddly, I always found X-Men’s Marrow hotter when she looked like this...

...as opposed to this...

...so i’d personally like to see a more bumpy headed alien version of Miss Martian, to see how it compared.