Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Cover must be from a Published Comic Book or Collected Volume! [NOTE - maybe an Admin can suggest a modification to this rule, to make it explicit that covers from graphic novels as well as from collections are valid?]
    We don't have an admin for the contest. I can and will change the rules I have posted on my Weekly Winners thread but that's about the extent of it.
    I think people (me included) almost always copy + paste from the previous weeks rules anyway so it comes down to someone changing their rules and hoping it will be carried along that way.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Gonna go with a Nighthawks homage from a title seldom used in cover contests...

X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Two proposals for updating the cover contest rules:

A:

2) Cover must be from a Published Comic (single issue, album, graphic novel, or collection)!

B:

Move rule (7) to (3), and change the numbering of the intervening rules. This is purely cosmetic, but makes for a better structure.
    Last edited by kjn; 12-04-2019 at 02:44 PM.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Two proposals for updating the cover contest rules:

A:

2) Cover must be from a Published Comic (single issue, album, graphic novel, or collection)!

B:

Move rule (7) to (3), and change the numbering of the interving rules. This is purely cosmetic, but makes for a better structure.
    I would go with A simple and easy.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    We don't have an admin for the contest. I can and will change the rules I have posted on my Weekly Winners thread but that's about the extent of it.
    I think people (me included) almost always copy + paste from the previous weeks rules anyway so it comes down to someone changing their rules and hoping it will be carried along that way.
    Thank you for printing out some rules...

As far as changing them goes... do we really need to? Seems like we've been trucking along without incident. The phrase "it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.

Last edited by Jack Dracula; 12-06-2019 at 08:00 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Thank you for printing out some rules...

As far as changing them goes... do we really need to? Seems like we've been trucking along without incident. The phrase "it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.
    This is my sentiment as well. Sure questions come up, but those are usually theme specific questions. Questions about format should hard to even come up with at this point. Graphic Novel could be included in the rules, but there is little actual difference between that and a typical individual issue. Plus, when questions do arise, I can't recall any resolution that hasn't been peaceful and productive.

For what it's worth, I think the main value of the rules should be to help new people who want to participate get started, and to provide some guide to first-time admins of the weekly contest.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant
    Walk right in, it's around the back
    Just a half a mile from the railroad track

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This is my sentiment as well. Sure questions come up, but those are usually theme specific questions. Questions about format should hard to even come up with at this point. Graphic Novel could be included in the rules, but there is little actual difference between that and a typical individual issue. Plus, when questions do arise, I can't recall any resolution that hasn't been peaceful and productive.
    In the end, "if you feel like this shouldn't count, then don't vote for it" seems to serve us when voting comes around.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

"Now we're feeling kind of hungry.
    We got our mega munchies.
    Time to make our pizza as big as some countries.
    How much pizza do you think we can't chow?"

---from Gimme Pizza by Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    For what it's worth, I think the main value of the rules should be to help new people who want to participate get started, and to provide some guide to first-time admins of the weekly contest.
    The former situation is a good reason for modifying the rule to make it explicit that the covers to graphic novels are valid entries. A newbie might think they don't count since they aren't "collections", and he or she wouldn't know a priori that "they've always counted in the past", as veteran contest entrants are already aware.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    The former situation is a good reason for modifying the rule to make it explicit that the covers to graphic novels are valid entries. A newbie might think they don't count since they aren't "collections", and he or she wouldn't know a priori that "they've always counted in the past", as veteran contest entrants are already aware.
    Well, maybe the rule should just be 'anything that could reasonably described as "comics" if anyone disagrees, they needn't vote for your entry.' This way, it includes manga, comic strip collections, graphic novels, webcomic collections, etc.