Page 75 of 92 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1372

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Part of my problem here is that, well, don't a oot of the X-Men come from a place of privilege? Warren is rich AF and has a pretty lovely mutation, Jean Grey is gorgeous and smart and could have easily led a pretty amazing life without the X-Men, Bobby is white enough and his powers don't really have a bad side, Xavier is rich AF and his powers are great, Scott is a white man, and I could go on.
    They're discriminated in-universe because they are mutants tho. Of course the X-Men could use some non-white representation, but it doesn't take away the fact that mutants are feared and hated.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Privilege doesn’t mean your life is automatically easy, it means you don’t have to worry about systems disproportionately disadvantaging you in very, very dehumanizing ways.
    If being worried and protective of her children is a "Karen" then you've just painted about a zillion women from all walks of life as a Karen. Doesn't wash with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    * opens up his not-oral oriphice*

And she's acting like a Karen here, regardless of her past life.
    See above. Why is being worried about her children being a Karen? Please explain. This is a term I rarely see outside of this board. But from the urban dictionary entry, she meets none of the criteria.

Part of my problem here is that, well, don't a oot of the X-Men come from a place of privilege? Warren is rich AF and has a pretty lovely mutation, Jean Grey is gorgeous and smart and could have easily led a pretty amazing life without the X-Men, Bobby is white enough and his powers don't really have a bad side, Xavier is rich AF and his powers are great, Scott is a white man, and I could go on.
    And the original X-Men were all white and lived in a country club setting with Charles. Pretty upper crust environment

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    If being worried and protective of her children is a "Karen" then you've just painted about a zillion women from all walks of life as a Karen. Doesn't wash with me.
    Being protective of your kids doesn’t make you exempt from being prejudice and willfully ignorant about the mutants. Two things can be true.

No, did you miss Operation: Zero Tolerance or Neverland or the bus bombings or the constant mutant kidnappings or that time X-Cutioner invaded the school and killed/mutilated some kids.

Y’all really need to realize that privilege is an axis, not a simple “I have it, you don’t” thing.

See above. Why is being worried about her children being a Karen? Please explain. This is a term I rarely see outside of this board. But from the urban dictionary entry, she meets none of the criteria.
    Another take on why Sue shouldn't act like that could result in +80 pages hahaha. But essentially what Tycon said.

Being protective of your kids doesn’t make you exempt from being prejudice and willfully ignorant about the mutants. Two things can be true.
    And she's being ridiculous shutting them down like that while they could have helped her find Franklin.

Another take on why Sue shouldn't act like that could result in +80 pages hahaha. But essentially what Tycon said.

And she's being ridiculous shutting them down like that while they could have helped her find Franklin.
    She is nervous and Scott went full mutant supremacist

IMO you have not demonstrated how Susan possesses either trait ...prejudice and being willfully ignorant. And give specific in-story sources that demonstrate this conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    genetics doesn't work this way.

Also eugenics is pretty bad to defend on th eopen
    Good thing we are talking about fantasy genetics that is following that pattern I mention.

Also nobody was defending eugenics

And the original X-Men were all white and lived in a country club setting with Charles. Pretty upper crust environment
    Regardless of their upbringing, they are still the targets of this just for being born the way they are.

So if one is not the target of this, they are privileged. Especially evident when they question the plight of the mutants and why they're doing what they're doing to protect themselves.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I don't fault Sue for not being able to relate to this but it is from her privilege that she asks Scott in HOX #1 "What are all of you thinking?" regarding their formation of Krakoa. This is why they're doing it.

She then accuses Scott, and the mutants, in this preview of viewing one of her children in higher regard than the other. But she can't possibly understand the very foundation of what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    She is nervous and Scott went full mutant supremacist
    He did not and this makes it sound like you didn't read it.

IMO you have not demonstrated how Susan possesses either trait ...prejudice and being willfully ignorant. And give specific in-story sources that demonstrate this conclusion.
    Asking Scott "Why are you doing this" is pretty much being ignorant about what mutants have to face in the MU (just look at the scan that Jbenito posted). She was very, very prejudiced against the Krakoans as soon she was them, instantly thinking they had bad intentions and putting a force field up.

And if we go a little deeper, Reed has seen the slaughtering of innocents with the Incursions so hopefully he somewhat understands the severity of their situation. Somewhat.

Asking Scott "Why are you doing this" is pretty much being ignorant about what mutants have to face in the MU (just look at the scan that Jbenito posted). She was very, very prejudiced against the Krakoans as soon she was them, instantly thinking they had bad intentions and putting a force field up.
    I'll be the first to admit that it's frustrating that the writers/editors/offices don't bring the two worlds together more. As heroes, it doesn't quite make sense to me that the Fam and the Avengers would look the other way as these slaughters happen, but that's what we've been given. And it's especially poignant when Reed and Sue have a son who is a mutant, safe in his home while others like him are killed on the streets.

BANNED

It absolutely makes sense. "Good people" look the other way every day irl.