View Poll Results: Preferred fate of Flash's chin strap?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it! It was a nice upgrade!

29 52.73%
  • Get rid of it! It looks stupid!

26 47.27%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I have a bigger problem with the superfluous glowing lines on the costume than the chinstrap. I like the addition of the crackling lightning energy, but the glowing lines look dumb to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I have a bigger problem with the superfluous glowing lines on the costume than the chinstrap. I like the addition of the crackling lightning energy, but the glowing lines look dumb to me.
    I loved the lines when Manapul was drawing then but they look awful when most other artist draw them.
    Last edited by 9th.; 11-16-2020 at 03:35 AM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Get that ugly thing out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This too. The Flash used to have the sleekest costume there was and then he ran through a rummage sale and never shed the superfluous garbage.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Chin strap for live action, no chin strap for the comics. And yes, those stupid lines have got to go. I have no idea why this stupid New 52 design has stuck around as long as it has when everyone else has gone back to more classic versions of their costumes.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

No chin strap please. I am actually surprised so many people like it. But like others have said those stupid lines need to go. They are awful. Barry's original Flash costume is perfect and needs no changes. Go back to that please.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I loved the lines when Manapul was drawing then but they look awful when most other artist draw them.
    Yeah, nobody made them work like Manapul did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Chin strap for live action, no chin strap for the comics.
    Don't watch the show, so no opinion on that, but I don't see the need for it in the comic books.
    (It's not as if he's wearing a helmet that could come flying off his head if he didn't have the chin strap.)

And yes, those stupid lines have got to go. I have no idea why this stupid New 52 design has stuck around as long as it has when everyone else has gone back to more classic versions of their costumes.
    Don't need those energy/speed lines (or whatever they are) either.

Retired

Does Batman have a chin--uh not really a strap--adornment? This is something I often wondered about, especially in the 1970s. Realistically, his cowl would have to cut under his jaw, but it seems to have the power to jut out right to his chin. Unless he glued it there it don't make much Newtonian sense. I decided in my mind to give out artistic licenses to the comics so the artists could freely defy science and make the mask do the impossible.

That's my round about way of answering the question about the Flash cowl. I don't want it to be an actual explained thing--and I don't want that rubber goatee on his chin, but it looks better if the cowl juts forward toward his chin.

On the T.V. show, they resolved this by making it a chin strap--which is the only way to do it in the physical world, besides glue. In comic books they don't have that problem--it's just a matter of making a line on paper. And in the future movie, they have visual effects, so it doesn't need to be anymore real than Harvey Dent's facial alterations thanks to visual effects in THE DARK KNIGHT.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I honestly don't care that much.

I do think it doesn't fit Barry's personality, though,
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Chin strap for live action, no chin strap for the comics. And yes, those stupid lines have got to go. I have no idea why this stupid New 52 design has stuck around as long as it has when everyone else has gone back to more classic versions of their costumes.
    This! Couldn't have said it better.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I think Barry can make the chinstrap work.

Outside the Justice Society World War 2 animated movie.

Retired

Frontier, it's your Batman mask that inspired my above comments. I wonder, what's your explanation for how your mask does that?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I don't mind it either way. If pushed I'd probably prefer him without it just because he didn't have it for so long.

On the show the chinstrap is much better, but that's also because that version of the cowl doesn't go far enough down past his cheeks and leaves skin around the eyes showing, I think. They could make it work.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I honestly don't care that much.

I do think it doesn't fit Barry's personality, though,
    Too modern for him or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Frontier, it's your Batman mask that inspired my above comments. I wonder, what's your explanation for how your mask does that?
    Because it looks cooler that way .