Page 264 of 440 FirstFirst ... 164214254260261262263264265266267268274314364 ... LastLast
Results 3,946 to 3,960 of 6586
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Immortal Hulk has the Hulk walking around as an emaciated husk for several issues. He has consistently been a punching bag, getting chopped into bits, has his heart eaten by his ex-wife, bisected, brain-washed, eviscerated, eaten alive, dismembered, atomized and dissolved.

Superman is getting replaced with his son. And I think they are weakening Superman, or he's loosing his powers or something. I don't read Action Comics or Superman, but I heard something about it on the Superman forum.
    Yup. The current writer has admitted he is really keen on the father/son dynamic and his arc is very much about that transition where the son becomes a man and the father starts feeling his age. Yes, Superman gets to punch guys really hard even now, but many fans have been complaining for years that he's become a guest in his own book and that his son has taken over and now he's actively losing the book. Adding to that, Superman has become a filler book until Taylor takes over to-- again-- replace Clark.

And I'm among the more positive on the last few years of Superman developments. I find it incredibly hard to believe Diana is currently not being respected when a few years ago we had the Robinson run. Execution lacking? Sure, I can see not enjoying the current crop of books-- but that's the thing, we have a current crop of books instead of just the usual ONE. She got to headline a Batman event (a dubious honor, but not just everyone gets to pretend the Bat event is about them. She's certainly doing better than Superman, Flash or GL in this respect), she had two film projects released this year. Her book has a lot of talent on it from writing to art to variant covers.

But oh no, she can't bench press a galaxy. If only she got as much respect as Aquaman in that last movie, who has no book and was turned into a goddamn Nazi stooge. If only all my heroes could be as fortunate as Aquaman right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    WW still takes the cake. Those characters have had a far easier time being portrayed as a powerhouse than WW in the last 10 years. Yet a lot of fans want to say that sexism is not a thing in comics anymore. So yea, to me this is a controversial opinion. WW suffers from sexism.
    It's just the ComicsGate people arguing that there's no sexism in comics and they're some of the biggest proponents of it. Most everyone else acknowledges it.
    Last edited by Robanker; 06-06-2021 at 04:09 PM.

WW still takes the cake. Those characters have had a far easier time being portrayed as a powerhouse than WW in the last 10 years. Yet a lot of fans want to say that sexism is not a thing in comics anymore. So yea, to me this is a controversial opinion. WW suffers from sexism.
    So do I in my everyday life and I manage because scum like that doesn't deserve my time, so it's not controversial to me. And plenty of people aren't like that, it's their opinion that matters to me, same with comic fans who aren't sexist.

And I haven't seen any fans on this sight proclaim there isn't sexism, so I'm not sure where you are citing these fans who are saying sexism is not a thing in comics.

WW should be cancel. So all the crappy editorial mess of not caring for this character and her lore can finally stop.
    Cancelling Wonder Woman sounds like giving up to me, and letting the sexists win. Because that's what they want, right?
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 06-06-2021 at 04:20 PM.

Oh snap, you're right.

Uh, okay how about, I want Ratatoskr to be a permanent Wonder-fam member.
    I agree but I’m waiting for some villainous reveal at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yup. The current writer has admitted he is really keen on the father/son dynamic and his arc is very much about that transition where the son becomes a man and the father starts feeling his age. Yes, Superman gets to punch guys really hard even now, but many fans have been complaining for years that he's become a guest in his own book and that his son has taken over and now he's actively losing the book. Adding to that, Superman has become a filler book until Taylor takes over to-- again-- replace Clark.

And I'm among the more positive on the last few years of Superman developments. I find it incredibly hard to believe Diana is currently not being respected when a few years ago we had the Robinson run. Execution lacking? Sure, I can see not enjoying the current crop of books-- but that's the thing, we have a current crop of books instead of just the usual ONE. She got to headline a Batman event (a dubious honor, but not just everyone gets to pretend the Bat event is about them. She's certainly doing better than Superman, Flash or GL in this respect), she had two film projects released this year. Her book has a lot of talent on it from writing to art to variant covers.

But oh no, she can't bench press a galaxy. If only she got as much respect as Aquaman in that last movie, who has no book and was turned into a goddamn Nazi stooge. If only all my heroes could be as fortunate as Aquaman right now.
    Yeah, I think every fandom thinks they got it the worse. Superman, Barry vs. Wally, GL fan wars, Aquaman not having a book after his movie and his anniversary year also, Ric Grayson’s being a thing, etc.

Even Bat-fans (with their ownership of half the line ) with stuff like Batman-only vs. the Bat-family fans, Bat-family fans vs. other Bat-family fans.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

It's just the ComicsGate people arguing that there's no sexism in comics and they're some of the biggest proponents of it. Most everyone else acknowledges it.
    Well all the characters you mentioned have had greater feats of power than Diana in the last 10 years. And guess what? They are all men. 10 years of Diana being underwhelming powerwise for most of her appearances. 10 years. While most of the guys get to show their power and are bulletproof. while she gets almost taken out or almost killed by one more than once. Sexism is the only explanation i can think of at this point. And that includes most female writers she has had these past 10 years. They obviously do not think to highly of the so called most important female hero they say to love. Patty included. They love her so much, that they can only tell stories where she is an unimpressive glorified low mid tier at best. Sexism has cursed WW sadly. And i doubt she will ever recover. She is the ultimate example of how not to handle a so called feminist icon. it is a disrespect to what feminism truly means to look at current Diana and call her a girl power figure.

I didn't even hear of ComicsGate until today...

Also, there's like, 7 women working on the ongoing WW title right now.

Women can be sexist towards women.

Women can be sexist towards women.
    True. But I have yet to see that from these women, or any of the other women who have written/worked on Wonder Woman titles or mediums.

Or are we at the point now where we are going to start labeling people as atrocious a word as "sexist" because we don't agree with their depiction of a character?
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 06-06-2021 at 04:59 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

True. But I have yet to see that from these women, or any of the other women who have written/worked on Wonder Woman titles or mediums.

Or are we at the point now where we are going to start labeling people as atrocious a word as "sexist" because we don't agree with their depiction of a character?
    Yes, and I don't want WW to be cancelled. The main title is currently very good and we have Historia coming up, plus another project Cloonan and Conrad are teasing. DC has a long history of screwing her up, but they do that with a lot of characters and she's still doing better than a lot. There is plenty to complain about historically, but we're doing ok for now. I wouldn't want to lose sight of the positives we are getting.

Also, I know I'm going to regret this, but: beyond wanting her to consistently have flight and in the same ball park as Superman, the demand for respect and feats is often too vague and doesn't back it up with specific examples of what a valid display would look like. Like didn't she recreate the universe with the banging of her bracelets in Immortal Wonder Woman, and that still wasn't enough?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yes, and I don't want WW to be cancelled. The main title is currently very good and we have Historia coming up, plus another project Cloonan and Conrad are teasing. DC has a long history of screwing her up, but they do that with a lot of characters and she's still doing better than a lot. There is plenty to complain about historically, but we're doing ok for now. I wouldn't want to lose sight of the positives we are getting.

Also, I know I'm going to regret this, but: beyond wanting her to consistently have flight and in the same ball park as Superman, the demand for respect and feats is often too vague and doesn't back it up with specific examples of what a valid display would look like. Like didn't she recreate the universe with the banging of her bracelets in Immortal Wonder Woman, and that still wasn't enough?
    In that same comic she couldn't do anything to Darkseid. Even Old Superman did better. So i doubt WW is capable of a big ban based on how she struggled earlier in that same comic.

Most women that worked on WW already proved their incapacity to do her justice.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

In that same comic she couldn't do anything to Darkseid. Even Old Superman did better. So i doubt WW is capable of a big ban based on how she struggled earlier in that same comic.
    Isn't that effectively what she did though? You doubting it doesn't mean much if she did it right on the page. There's nothing to doubt.

Most women that worked on WW already proved their incapacity to do her justice.
    That has nothing to do with them being sexist or women, just not being suited for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Isn't that effectively what she did though? You doubting it doesn't mean much if she did it right on the page. There's nothing to doubt.

That has nothing to do with them being sexist or women, just not being suited for the character.
    Her big bang move is debunked by how she struggled with darkseid. Unless Darkseid anbd old Superman scale higher than a big bang.

I have my doubts. Women can have sexist thoughts without them knowing.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Sorry to bring them to your attention. They suck.

Hey, guys, let's stop telling other folks that they can't/shouldn't post their opinions, and leave the personal commentary out of the discussion.

Thanks!

GF
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Sorry to bring them to your attention. They suck.
    *snaps fingers* well, darn. *goes back to reading current WW run*