Page 52 of 134 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Characters could challenge you in multiple ways outside power. Superman's biggest enemy is a schemer not a powerhouse. Superman's comic since rebirth has been pretty family oriented and portrays him as a father and husband I don't get how mopey Batman who puts his persona at the forefront in more relatable than that. People like Batman because he's edgy, dark and pop culture.
    Carol's big weakness has never been powerhouses either. She's always been a little susceptible to getting her head messed with - in more ways than one. It's definitely possible to throw problems her way that she can't blast her way out of.

Just seen it here in NZ. I was thoroughly enjoying it until the third act, where things got a little bit ridiculous/silly - I really got the impression the writers don't flat-out know how to do action: the sequences didn't gel or suffered from a bad misunderstanding of physics (even superhero physics).

spoilers:
    Example: we got to see Ronan's fleet's missile barrage spread out as each one went for a different target, yet when Carol hurls the one she caught back it takes them all out... somehow. Things appear to happen because the writers say so (authorial fiat) rather than happening naturally. Having Carol go from half-powered to Binary level instantly kinda wrecked things too. There's a lot of people calling it OP here and I agree on the whole - the imagery of her zapping all those ships was cool - but it's more like they're conflating her with the Starbrand/planetary defence level of thing.
    end of spoilers

Up until they reached the lab it was great though - really thought they did well re-jigging her comics history and making it all fit, and fit well.

Other spoilery points:
    spoilers:

Starforce were underutilised as a whole. Got a glimpse of why Korath might turn to Ronan later. Didn't think Yon-Rogg would survive so that was a bit of a twist. Minn-Erva dead? - no body so she's probably still alive. Blue-Ubba the Space-Viking, and the Other One barely got anything to do.

Loved the Skrulls being Space-Australians. Nice twist to not have them be the villains (yet). Perhaps Talos's group is the nice one and we've not met their religious sect yet. He Loves You.

Not enough Son of Coul (even the Skrull version). Could have benefited from more of a look at SHIELD as a whole really - it just felt a bit small-scale there, like it was Fury and his local team.

Loved Goose/Chewie. Fury pointing him around like a weapon was both funny and awesome. Now if Goose got left behind on Earth where's she been all this time? Mind you she did hang out at Project Pegasus for six years after Lawson disappeared so I suppose roaming the world for another two dozen would be no problem. There's only Fury really knows what she is. Bet everyone else has always been wondering how does he makes all the bodies disappear so well...
    end of spoilers

I probably will go back for a second viewing. Just want to see if there's anything I missed which might put that third act in a better light.
    Last edited by snark^; 03-09-2019 at 12:25 PM.
    I've seen things you posters wouldn't believe. Ad-spammers aflame off the shoulder of
    rec.arts.sf.written. I watched cancel posts glitter in the ether near the usenet gateway.
    All those moments will be lost in time... like beer in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Characters could challenge you in multiple ways outside power. Superman's biggest enemy is a schemer not a powerhouse. Superman's comic since rebirth has been pretty family oriented and portrays him as a father and husband I don't get how mopey Batman who puts his persona at the forefront in more relatable than that. People like Batman because he's edgy, dark and pop culture.
    Not me, I like him because he isn't OP (same goes for Spider-Man) in other words he is mortal so to speak. Granted, this aspect has been pretty much done away with in the comics "Prep God Batman".
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    The actress was kinda flat, IMHO. The child playing Monica was much more interesting.
    The kid was indeed a bright spot, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I thought the first act kind of dragged a little, but otherwise, it was awesome! I do have plenty of Carol bias. She was sort of the first comic I ever had (even before X-Men). I really think of all the MCU movies, I liked this one (perhaps) the best, but I have a stronger attachment to the character than Cap, Tony, Thor, etc. I was very skeptical going into the theatre, but I think they did Carol very well (better than in the books, lately).

I like all of that 90s music, but I really don't think it meshed well with the movie. No Doubt's "Just A Girl" for a fight scene? C'mon!! IIRC, this was right about when Carol was being dissed for being "just human." White Zombie's "More Human" would have been a better choice. IknowIknow-- they can't always get the songs they want. "Just A Girl" just made the scene kinda corny to me. In fact, no music at all would have been better.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Well, I was thoroughly satisfied with the movie. And now I can end my self-induced exile from this thread!

What can I say without being super spoilery?

Overall the movie was easily on par with most Marvel films; I'd say its on the same level as Black Panther; really damn strong for a first-off solo film, but not quite on the same level as Winter Soldier or Infinity War. The effects were top notch, the soundtrack was great, the plot was as solid as you should expect from the MCU (it does have a few holes) and the humor was choice. The acting was excellent and Brie really stands out. Her facial expressions are spot-on and she manages to deliver lines with both a deadpan sarcasm and a lot of nuance and personality. I cant wait to see her in a scene with Downy, Hemsworth, Evans, and the other major actors. The supporting cast was well handled, though I wish we could have seen more of many of them, and the same goes for the villains. In this it felt more like an earlier MCU film where the bad guys don't get the attention they should've. There are a couple twists in the plot that're fun and (more or less) unexpected, some great easter eggs.....

Yeah, its another MCU movie. Which is exactly what it should have been.

And now I'm ready to see her and Thor kick Thanos' ass!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I just came back from watching it.

I would give it 7/10.

it's average like most of MCU movies.

Brie was fine and her interactions with Sam were really good.

I have no idea where the hate for Brie came.

she was good, not the best ever, but she will find her footing like CA and Thor did.

some things I didn't like were:

spoilers:
    1. Fury's eye being scratch by a cat was meh tbh and Last time I trusted someone I lost my eye is a joke LoL

2. Fury's We are outgunned when Thor and Loki arrived holds no merit nor it does make sense

3. Fury making up the Avengers project because of Captain Marvel didn't set well for me
    end of spoilers

other then that, movie was good.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    spoilers:

I kinda both llike and dislike the handling of Skrulls, I am happy they don't go with the generic evil Skrull route.
    But making them underpowered refugees kinda limit future use of them.
    I mean, they are supposed to be a Galactic civilization that can stand toe to toe to Kree Empire. And I expected morally grey depiction of both sides.
    But Kree just end up being the Empire from Star Wars, the most powerful and evil of all without rivals. (Xandar may count, but again, Ronan invaded their capital with one ship.)
    Yeah, I know it took place in 90s, but 20 plus years is not enough to let Skrulls develop as a civilization I think, we may still get ugly friendly alien Skrulls, but their culture and darker side could be lost.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Personally, I really, really, really loved what they did with the Skrulls and I wouldn't mind if they don't really play them as evil as in the future. Their portrayal here definitely felt like a reaction to the way Bendis and co. made them extremely gross racist analogies for Muslims in Secret Invasion.
    end of spoilers

I think what I liked most was their take on her origin. It was streamlined but still pretty faithful to the origin material in its own way. The MCU is really good at doing stuff like that.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    spoilers:
    Personally, I really, really, really loved what they did with the Skrulls and I wouldn't mind if they don't really play them as evil as in the future. Their portrayal here definitely felt like a reaction to the way Bendis and co. made them extremely gross racist analogies for Muslims in Secret Invasion.
    end of spoilers
    I would argue it's a different take, but very much a natural inspiration based on Secret Invasion.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member

I think it was sort of interesting that spoilers:
    the movie version seemed to draw a bit from the concept of the first issue of Ms. Marvel where Ms. Marvel didn't know she was Carol Danvers. This was never intended to last - Gerry Conway actually wrote a text piece in the first issue promising readers that Ms. Marvel would soon know who she really was - and it didn't. But I feel like the very earliest version of a character often has a big impact on adaptations.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    I just came back from watching it.

I would give it 7/10.

it's average like most of MCU movies.

Brie was fine and her interactions with Sam were really good.

I have no idea where the hate for Brie came.

she was good, not the best ever, but she will find her footing like CA and Thor did.

some things I didn't like were:

spoilers:
    1. Fury's eye being scratch by a cat was meh tbh and Last time I trusted someone I lost my eye is a joke LoL

2. Fury's We are outgunned when Thor and Loki arrived holds no merit nor it does make sense

3. Fury making up the Avengers project because of Captain Marvel didn't set well for me
    end of spoilers

other then that, movie was good.
    I always go back to the fact that Fury is a professional liar. His "excuse" of the Hydra weapons being made was simply that... an excuse he used at the time. Plus, he needed an immediate response if something like that destoryer teleported onto earth. CM isn't THAT fast.

Plus I wonder how much he really saw in regards to CM letting lose. he was in that ship the whole time or on earth while CM was in space. He may not have seen everything.

Anywho, this movie felt a LOT like Thor 1. And just like Thor 1, while I understand it... I would have preferred more time spent in space with the Kree than with the Earth crew. I do like Thor 1 more though but I simply like the character more.

This movie is very solid for me. Middle of the pack MCU wise but I like all the MCU movies so that isn't a slight at all. I'll be excited to see CM in End GAme... I think her and Thor would really get along lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Could have been worse!

spoilers:
    In the comics, her callsign was 'Cheeseburger', not Avenger. All these years, we could have been watching movies about the building of the Cheeseburger Initiative...
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I think it was sort of interesting that spoilers:
    the movie version seemed to draw a bit from the concept of the first issue of Ms. Marvel where Ms. Marvel didn't know she was Carol Danvers. This was never intended to last - Gerry Conway actually wrote a text piece in the first issue promising readers that Ms. Marvel would soon know who she really was - and it didn't. But I feel like the very earliest version of a character often has a big impact on adaptations.
    end of spoilers
    A bit of that and also a bit of:
    spoilers:
    Carol losing her memories either in Avengers Annual 10 or possibly more accurately, in KSD's run. Monica Rambeau seems to be at least partially inspired by Kit.
    end of spoilers
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    Could have been worse!

spoilers:
    In the comics, her callsign was 'Cheeseburger', not Avenger. All these years, we could have been watching movies about the building of the Cheeseburger Initiative...
    end of spoilers
    Very true. "Cheeseburgers, Assemble!", sounds more like something you'd hear in a burger joint when the staff get really enthusiastic about working there.

"Cheeseburgers, Cheese it!" would be more appropriate I suppose.
    I've seen things you posters wouldn't believe. Ad-spammers aflame off the shoulder of
    rec.arts.sf.written. I watched cancel posts glitter in the ether near the usenet gateway.
    All those moments will be lost in time... like beer in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.