Default Batman Day - The Topic

France participates since last year, here are the exclusives we got:

2018 - Batman Rebirth Annual #2, Black & White and HC - Some of These Days

2019 - The Man Who Laughts, Black & White and HC

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

When I went to a mini mart earlier they have a bunch of mini Batman Day thing at the cash register. I'm not even sure what it is. Is it a tiny toy, or snack, it's wrapped in a small grey plastic package that fits the palm of your hand without any preview of what's inside. I only skimmed the description since we're kind of in a hurry and that didn't help.

Censorship Sucks

Sadly, there was no mention of Batman day in my city as the comic book shop went out of business...thanks to comics like Tom King's Batman. ugh

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Caldwell View Post
    Sadly, there was no mention of Batman day in my city as the comic book shop went out of business...thanks to comics like Tom King's Batman. ugh
    I disliked what I read of King's run before I dropped it and wouldn't have ever imagined defending it beyond "people like what they like." but I have to say that neither his run or others like it killed your comic shop...poor management and under capitalization were much more likely to be the culprits.

Censorship Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I disliked what I read of King's run before I dropped it and wouldn't have ever imagined defending it beyond "people like what they like." but I have to say that neither his run or others like it killed your comic shop...poor management and under capitalization were much more likely to be the culprits.
    If there was not an epidemic of stores closing, I would be more inclined to agree with you. However, my comment was a simplification for comedic effect. Although, I don't believe writing like Tom King's has helped, I believe that gimmick covers, false events, meandering stories, rude and hateful creators and staff, and the diamond distribution system have all played their fair part in the destruction of the local comic shops. When there appears to be a systemic chain of stores closing, you have to look at other possible variables for the reason why stores are closing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Caldwell View Post
    If there was not an epidemic of stores closing, I would be more inclined to agree with you. However, my comment was a simplification for comedic effect. Although, I don't believe writing like Tom King's has helped, I believe that gimmick covers, false events, meandering stories, rude and hateful creators and staff, and the diamond distribution system have all played their fair part in the destruction of the local comic shops. When there appears to be a systemic chain of stores closing, you have to look at other possible variables for the reason why stores are closing.
    We've had all of those things for years though, they aren't new and despite that you have stores that are doing better than ever so I'd still point to mismanagement and under-capitalization as being more dangerous to comic shops(and retail in general).

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    We've had all of those things for years though, they aren't new and despite that you have stores that are doing better than ever so I'd still point to mismanagement and under-capitalization as being more dangerous to comic shops(and retail in general).
    You're a bit wrong.
    Some stores are doing good now because a lot of others have closed.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    You're a bit wrong.
    Some stores are doing good now because a lot of others have closed.
    In less populated areas sure, but if you look at major cities there are still plenty in close proximity and stores like Midtown(which has several locations) Forbidden Planet, West Village, JHU and Carmine are doing well despite the slight down turn...and those are just the ones I've been to in Manhattan which doesn't account for the rest there and elsewhere in NYC.

They're doing well not because they're cannibalizing failed stores but rather because they have solid business plans, they know how to profitably price and stock back issues for profit maximization, they are stocking books that appeal to a wider audience and have a diversity of other related items...while the stores that fail do the opposite

I got Year One and the Long Halloween on Comixology, because the sales were crazy compared to their price in hardback.

They were both excellent stories and while I still don't feel that Year One is a better origin story than Zero Year, it was certainly excellent to flesh out the normal gangsters of Gotham, and it made me regret the lack of use that they have today, especially the Roman and then his daughter in The Long Halloween.

Speaking of which, is an awesome origin story for Two-Faces. But I can't help but wonder what happened to Gilda Dent.

Censorship Sucks

One of the Midtown comics location closed down. Must have been because they were thriving.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I got Year One and the Long Halloween on Comixology, because the sales were crazy compared to their price in hardback.

They were both excellent stories and while I still don't feel that Year One is a better origin story than Zero Year, it was certainly excellent to flesh out the normal gangsters of Gotham, and it made me regret the lack of use that they have today, especially the Roman and then his daughter in The Long Halloween.

Speaking of which, is an awesome origin story for Two-Faces. But I can't help but wonder what happened to Gilda Dent.
    If you're into Two-Face, You should pick-up Gotham Central and Two-Face: Jeckyll and Hyde.
    And If you wan't to continue after Year One, you have it's follow-up Batman: The Man Who Laughts - The first encounter with the Joker by Ed Brubaker.

Incredible Member

Barnes & Noble always particpates in Batman Day, the one location I went to had a table set up with coloring pages of Batman for kids to color and a giant mural type of backdrop of Batman so fans can take selfies with it.

They also had a discount if you're buying 2 DC graphic novels and get the 3rd GN free.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    If you're into Two-Face, You should pick-up Gotham Central and Two-Face: Jeckyll and Hyde.
    And If you wan't to continue after Year One, you have it's follow-up Batman: The Man Who Laughts - The first encounter with the Joker by Ed Brubaker.
    Is there a continuation for Gilda Dent after Long Halloween?

===

By the way I just checked on my mini-mart website, apparently, those things I found are collectible Batman figures that you buy blind unless you buy the full box set all at once. It looks like a Funko, but palm size. Well... I don't really know how big a Funko is since I never hold them...
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 09-25-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Is there a continuation for Gilda Dent after Long Halloween?

===

By the way I just checked on my mini-mart website, apparently, those things I found are collectible Batman figures that you buy blind unless you buy the full box set all at once. It looks like a Funko, but palm size. Well... I don't really know how big a Funko is since I never hold them...
    read this:
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Gilda_Gold_(New_Earth)