Page 65 of 145 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    M and the twins psionic powers were always ill defined. I think when most of gen x was introduced they all had general but not specific notions of how their powers worked.. M first appearance had it be known that she had some type of psionic power and when she helped them escape she displayed super strength. EV powers were all over the place before Gen X 1 gave him the aura.. And husk in her first teenage appearance in Xforce shape shifting powers were different.. she was husking into insects and stuff
    Yeah, I remember in her first appearance, Paige turned into a small bird, and there was no Clive Barker-esque skin-shredding business involved.

Similarly, in his first appearance, Josh/Jay Guthrie had some sort of super-vocal talents that charged up Dazzler (who, back then, turned sound into light, as opposed to the generic laser-shooting lass she's turned into), and no wings or healing talents. Those Guthrie kids...

M's pretty egregious. She can fly. She's a telepath. She's maybe telekinetic. She's got super-strength. She's bulletproof. In the Age of Apocalypse, much was made of her having superhuman intelligence. She's about two powers shy of being a Super-Skrull.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Bless your soul for trying to make sense out of that family's power set. Bless you.
    I hate how messy the St. Croix family are written.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, I remember in her first appearance, Paige turned into a small bird, and there was no Clive Barker-esque skin-shredding business involved.

Similarly, in his first appearance, Josh/Jay Guthrie had some sort of super-vocal talents that charged up Dazzler (who, back then, turned sound into light, as opposed to the generic laser-shooting lass she's turned into), and no wings or healing talents. Those Guthrie kids...

M's pretty egregious. She can fly. She's a telepath. She's maybe telekinetic. She's got super-strength. She's bulletproof. In the Age of Apocalypse, much was made of her having superhuman intelligence. She's about two powers shy of being a Super-Skrull.
    She's used telekinesis to deflect bullets, knock bad guys, around, etc. She's a definite telekinetic.

BANNED

Bishop had one thing going on for him. Lobdell was the second-longest writer to stay on the X-Men besides Claremont. I think Bishop was developed enough to stick in the minds of fans and keep in mind comic book writers are former fans. So he gets written. Claremont similarly wrote Sunspot enough for him to have an impression.

Warren Ellis killed Synch off, and in the 21st century, no one wrote characters like Gentle, Prodigy, Triage, etc long enough for them to really stick in fan minds. What would often happen is a writer would introduce a person of color when they leave the book the next writer would send the new characters of color to Limbo or kill them off, and then another writer would introduce some new characters of color.

Still I'm happy Synch and Skin got bought back. Hope they get development.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    She's used telekinesis to deflect bullets, knock bad guys, around, etc. She's a definite telekinetic.
    Agreed. This debate comes up almost as much as whether she's black or not. lol But the way to put a cork in it. During the opening X-Factor pages that listed the cast, TK was listed as part of her power set.. I don't see how it's controversial.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 12-29-2019 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    I don't see how it's controversial.
    Eh, we don’t like how Storm is written with reality-warping “weather powers”. We don’t like how M is written with a million and a half powers. We’ve got another thread titled Overpowered Mutants, is M on it?

And anyway, in THIS thread, the telekinetic we should be talking about is Shola Inkose.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Eh, we don’t like how Storm is written with reality-warping “weather powers”. We don’t like how M is written with a million and a half powers. We’ve got another thread titled Overpowered Mutants, is M on it?

And anyway, in THIS thread, the telekinetic we should be talking about is Shola Inkose.
    Shola will rise again one day..He was too good of a character to not get some development.. In the last 20 years we have so many interesting Black characters that were created and are now currently languishing in limbo

Shola, Decay, Lil Bro, Bobby Soul,Hub, Astrid Bloom

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

But isn’t all of that psionic-based? I would call her powers basic. Emplate is another story. They mixed in magic for some reason.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I hate how messy the St. Croix family are written.
    At this point I think they are making up stuff because it's already so confusing. It's like the ultimate scapegoat. We don't know, because they never defined it, thus they can essentially do whatever they want and get away with it. LoL

We can try to track it; First appearance of M, wasn't M. It was a her two younger twin sistera merged together impersonating her, one of which was autistic. They took the form because they thought their parents would flip out if their favorite child was gone.

Though M wasn't gone, she was transformed into Penance by their equally confusing older brother because he was offended by her teasing him. She was following him around while he used another nebulous power to skip dimensions. How it all got reversed is foggy for me but I know the girls became Penance and M changed back to her normal self.

M is supposed to have limited psionics including tp and tk as well as super intelligence, speed, strength, durability, stamina and flight. Basically super super human. The girls seem to be meta morphs. Not sure what else they are capable of but they're like the Super Twins from DC I think..I dunno.

Emplate... He's psychic vampire that preys on other mutants, can infect people with his power, and bend reality because I don't understand why he was able to do what he did to his sister without magic. And again, can pass into other dimensions. Oh, M and Emplate can also merge together like their sisters to become a single being. I don't know what you call that.

.... there's magic involved with Emplate, right?
    Last edited by donpricetag; 12-29-2019 at 05:17 PM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Apoc should have studied Emplate first for his renewed research into mutant magic, since Marius' is a fairly contemporary case of thaumaturgy/X-gene interaction, compared to the apparently-ancient powers he seeks in "Excalibur Dox."
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Bishop had one thing going on for him. Lobdell was the second-longest writer to stay on the X-Men besides Claremont. I think Bishop was developed enough to stick in the minds of fans and keep in mind comic book writers are former fans. So he gets written. Claremont similarly wrote Sunspot enough for him to have an impression.

Warren Ellis killed Synch off, and in the 21st century, no one wrote characters like Gentle, Prodigy, Triage, etc long enough for them to really stick in fan minds. What would often happen is a writer would introduce a person of color when they leave the book the next writer would send the new characters of color to Limbo or kill them off, and then another writer would introduce some new characters of color.

Still I'm happy Synch and Skin got bought back. Hope they get development.
    It also does not help when most of the books with them are NOT in trade.

Using black heroes as the example-

Miles Morales, Flint, Rayshuan Lucas, Shuri, Riri, Black Goliath 2 (Tom Foster), Mettle, Alex Wilder, & Moon Girl are the only blacks whose appearances are in someone's trade. I am not sure about Blue Marvel, Prodigy & Maggot.

If you are wondering about Storm, Panther, Falcon and the rest-seeing that book like Marvel Age, Marvel Tales, Marvel Comics Present, Marvel 1 in One, Solo Avengers and Thing's solo are NOT in trade. I know some of those folks appeared in them.

DC-Luke Fox, Naomi, Aqualad, Duke & Jason Rusch are it. Vixen, Michael Holt & John Stewart first appearances are NOT in trades. A TON of stuff with them from Action Comics is not in trade. Same with Steel.

Milestone can't boast either.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It also does not help when most of the books with them are NOT in trade.

Using black heroes as the example-

Miles Morales, Flint, Rayshuan Lucas, Shuri, Riri, Black Goliath 2 (Tom Foster), Mettle, Alex Wilder, & Moon Girl are the only blacks whose appearances are in someone's trade. I am not sure about Blue Marvel, Prodigy & Maggot.

If you are wondering about Storm, Panther, Falcon and the rest-seeing that book like Marvel Age, Marvel Tales, Marvel Comics Present, Marvel 1 in One, Solo Avengers and Thing's solo are NOT in trade. I know some of those folks appeared in them.

DC-Luke Fox, Naomi, Aqualad, Duke & Jason Rusch are it. Vixen, Michael Holt & John Stewart first appearances are NOT in trades. A TON of stuff with them from Action Comics is not in trade. Same with Steel.

Milestone can't boast either.
    At the same time, looking at the title of this thread, DC at least has some grown black men worth reading in rotation or semi rotation; John Stewart, Black Lightning, Batwing, Cyborg, Mr.Terrific, Martian Manhunters chosen human form, and I know I'm missing more. All the X-Men really have is Bishop and again, they retconned him to be Aboriginal, plain ol Aussie at best. Most others are limbo-bait, children and/or dead.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

M and the twins psionic powers were always ill defined. I think when most of gen x was introduced they all had general but not specific notions of how their powers worked.. M first appearance had it be known that she had some type of psionic power and when she helped them escape she displayed super strength. EV powers were all over the place before Gen X 1 gave him the aura.. And husk in her first teenage appearance in Xforce shape shifting powers were different.. she was husking into insects and stuff

I would say that M and the twins are psionic mutants who display varying talents and skills. Peter David fleshed out TK.. I would rather M have tactile TK if she has to have it at all.I also would love it if they actually gave the Claudette and Nicole some love so we can know what their powers are definitively..
    Disagree on the point about Synch powers. The were very designed and executed when he first appeared in phalanx Covenant which introduces the Generation X crew. He already had good understanding of his own powers and was using them to access 3 different mutants at one time.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Disagree on the point about Synch powers. The were very designed and executed when he first appeared in phalanx Covenant which introduces the Generation X crew. He already had good understanding of his own powers and was using them to access 3 different mutants at one time.
    Umm where they tho.. in the gen x intro.. he had no aura.. he replicated abilities and retained them.. thats whats I meant.. He didnt get an aura until gen x # 1. It was only alluded to what he was doing in Uncanny Xmen 318 when Monet bought them clothes and said he was holding on to sabertooths added mass.. She asked him if he wanted an outfit after he let Vic's powers go.. thats what I meant.. I dont think his powers where fully fleshed out until later from the writers perspective not his..

Umm where they tho.. in the gen x intro.. he had no aura.. he replicated abilities and retained them.. thats whats I meant.. He didnt get an aura until gen x # 1. It was only alluded to what he was doing in Uncanny Xmen 318 when Monet bought them clothes and said he was holding on to sabertooths added mass.. She asked him if he wanted an outfit after he let Vic's powers go.. thats what I meant.. I dont think his powers where fully fleshed out until later from the writers perspective not his..
    errr having a colorful power sig isnt something that really explains or defines a powerset. His retaining Sabretooth's mass was mentioned once....and in his next appearance it defined what was up with his Synching....well a lil bit
    GrindrStone(D)