Page 21 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

This very much sounds like a loose adaptation of American Alien though given all the accusations leveled at Max Landis these days, I wouldn't be surprised if they are downplaying that aspect. The style looks very Venture Bros. to me. I doubt it's a straight adaptation though. They may have just tweaked it enough that they don't have to call it that.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post

@Sacred Knight They'll do a movie with Jon sooner or later because a lot of fans like the character (at least before Bendis aged him up), so don't hold your breath.
    That wasn't my fear, I can easily just ignore any film about him appropriately titled. My direct fear was some sort of supposedly 5G inspired tale of him actually as Superman. I mean, nothing against those who created the theory at all, it just had a bit of discussion here going on a month or so ago and it had me scared there was actually something to it.

Anywho, I'm still hoping for the off-chance the Kents aren't alive in this. If it shows a bit of origin or Clark has some memories, that could account for their presence. I'm not holding my breath, but its a small hope. Although not that huge a deal anyway in the scheme of things, like other particulars I don't really care for, its hardly a deal-breaker.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-30-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    She was Asian in American Alien. Jimmy hasn't even been cast yet, so maybe they just drop him completely. If it is an American Alien adaptation, I'm sure it'll be very very loosely adapted so they don't have to address any sort of connection to Landis.
    I'd be surprised if Jimmy and Perry aren't in it, although since they're not listed initially I gather their role won't be much bigger then it was in Death/Reign.

Although if Clark and Lois are both interns they might not be running around with Jimmy yet.

Yeah definitely getting some American Alien vibes. Parasite and Lobo were both two of the main villains of AA. I’m guessing this will be like how JL Doom adapted Tower of Babel, it’s clear what they’re basing it off of but there will be enough differences that it’s not an “adaption” strictly speaking.

I’m thrilled Parasite is finally going to be a main antagonist of one of these movies, hopefully he gets a good showing and his design is cool. Lobo fighting Supes hasn’t happed since the animated series I think so looking forward to that as well.

Kents being alive is whatever. Means it’s not drawing from Morrison Action but so be it.

Kinda wish Lex wasn’t involved at all, but he’s more of a supporting cast member than a villain these days so fine.

It’s still not clear if this is just a one and done or the start of a new universe but I guess we’ll get more info once Apokolips War comes out. Sheridan is writing the script for this so fingers crossed he does ok. I liked Reign and he wrote some JL Action episodes, don’t know which ones though.

I think it's been pretty much a theme of the past 30 years or so that Lois is farther along in her journalism career than Clark Kent, so I just assumed from the description that she's already established while Clark is still interning, but we'll find out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think their role in The Elite, Unbound, and Death/Reign was different and inoffensive enough that it shouldn't be a problem unless you just really don't want them around, but I honestly just don't see the issue.
    Heh, I forgot they were in The Elite. I actually liked Ma's role in Superman: Doomsday and All-Star Superman. In the former, she develops a friendship with Lois, which I didn't see coming and thought was cool and natural. I applaud that kind of creative use of the characters. But if they're just there so Clark can unload his angst on them, no thanks. It just feels uninspired and unenjoyable for me.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Wow, that sure does sound a *lot* like they're making an American Alien movie without calling it that. I guess it makes sense given that, if I remember right, it was roughly the most universally well received modern day version of the origin. And the art style's interesting. Not much going on with Clark's look, so I imagine the animation is going to be quite smooth. I wonder if this is meant to kick off a new shared animated universe, or if it's stand-alone. Guess we'll know after JLD.

The Jon theory was long shot.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That wasn't my fear, I can easily just ignore any film about him appropriately titled. My direct fear was some sort of supposedly 5G inspired tale of him actually as Superman. I mean, nothing against those who created the theory at all, it just had a bit of discussion here going on a month or so ago and it had me scared there was actually something to it.

Anywho, I'm still hoping for the off-chance the Kents aren't alive in this. If it shows a bit of origin or Clark has some memories, that could account for their presence. I'm not holding my breath, but its a small hope. Although not that huge a deal anyway in the scheme of things, like other particulars I don't really care for, its hardly a deal-breaker.
    I haven't been following the whole 5G drama but I'd be surprised if it's even still on at this point. It was Didio's idea and the earliest reports coming out of DC after he left was that it was already being tweaked. So it may be off the table altogether at this point for all we know.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I haven't been following the whole 5G drama but I'd be surprised if it's even still on at this point. It was Didio's idea and the earliest reports coming out of DC after he left was that it was already being tweaked. So it may be off the table altogether at this point for all we know.
    One of the Bleeding Cool articles said some of the 5G books had been scrapped. I suspect that a lot of the people who would’ve been doing 5G will be doing Death Metal tie-ins now instead, given Snyder has been talking about DM becoming bigger and getting expanded.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Well, everyone can point and/or laugh regarding my 5G theory after all, though my backup theory that this is an American Alien movie they're not gonna call American Alien for obvious reasons turned out to be on the money. Looks as though they're basically stripping out at least the first half of the thing though, and it's by the writer of that nothingburger Reign of the Supermen flick. So if it's gonna be a weak execution of a compromised take on a compromised story, I can't really imagine ending up interested in this.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Thank god its not a Jon movie. Those theories were starting to scare me. Art style is interesting, maybe I'm crazy but I'm remined slightly of an old school Superfriends vibe. It succeeds with the young interpretation though for sure.

Maybe there's still the chance Jonathan and Martha are in flashbacks?
    That was my first thought, lol.

It says he is an intern at the Planet, so he is not married yet. Cool! Sounds intriguing all around, I think! I hope Jimmy is in it doing something and of course meeting Clark and Supes!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s still not clear if this is just a one and done or the start of a new universe but I guess we’ll get more info once Apokolips War comes out. Sheridan is writing the script for this so fingers crossed he does ok. I liked Reign and he wrote some JL Action episodes, don’t know which ones though.
    To keep it Superman centric he wrote the episodes where Mxy turns Clark into Red Son Supes and Kara into a Kardashian as well as that episode where Plastic Man, Krypto, and Streaky take on Dex-Starr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Well, everyone can point and/or laugh regarding my 5G theory after all, though my backup theory that this is an American Alien movie they're not gonna call American Alien for obvious reasons turned out to be on the money. Looks as though they're basically stripping out at least the first half of the thing though, and it's by the writer of that nothingburger Reign of the Supermen flick. So if it's gonna be a weak execution of a compromised take on a compromised story, I can't really imagine ending up interested in this.
    I thought he did as well as could be expected having to condense Return and Reign in one movie. I think it's impressive the movie was able to capture the spirit of the Supermen and the core plot as well as it did.

Given that the Kents are in it in some capacity, I wouldn't be surprised if there are at least some flashbacks in it. If this is an AA adaptation, we might see when he discovered flight. I don't care either way. They aren't a deal breaker to me one way or the other.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Despite the problems with the writer, american alien was a geniunely good superman story so I'm excited for the adaption.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To keep it Superman centric he wrote the episodes where Mxy turns Clark into Red Son Supes and Kara into a Kardashian as well as that episode where Plastic Man, Krypto, and Streaky take on Dex-Starr.

I thought he did as well as could be expected having to condense Return and Reign in one movie. I think it's impressive the movie was able to capture the spirit of the Supermen and the core plot as well as it did.
    Yeah the problems with Reign had more to do with the time length and budget imo. Should’ve been part 2 of a three part trilogy but as it was I thought it did a decent job.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah the problems with Reign had more to do with the time length and budget imo. Should’ve been part 2 of a three part trilogy but as it was I thought it did a decent job.
    I think Reign was good but it needed more suspense and drama. yeah it was rushed for time and it hurt it a bit. Death of Superman felt more emotional and powerful for me.