Page 106 of 233 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 3484

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    TV Line goes more into Ruby's departure.

Apparently she was having difficulty adjusting to having a lead role in a network drama and living in Vancouver, which also made her difficult on set.
    All the night on location shooting probably didn't help as well.

When you play a mostly nocturnal operating superhero then it's likely your sleep is going to be out of whack filming day and night frequently on a network tv schedule.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    They have a conveniently built in explanation for a differing look if they want. Just say between seasons she's badly injured in a battle with her sister and her face is operated on. She eventually escapes but she has a different face and voila, plot-reduced elephant in the room.
    I suggest they take the Soap or sitcom root and don't really address it with some major convoluted story line. Focusing too much on the change on the show can side track the whole show.

Just have Kate take off the mask and have someone say to her "did you do something new with your hair you look great" Kate replies "yep, I think I needed a bit of a change" and move on.

Fans will adjust if the overall show is good enough.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The early word is they're recasting, so it is still based on Kate Kane. I don't think anyone's scared of doing anything different, rather that recasting even the main character is not unheard of in television so there's no real reason at this point to imagine them needing to move on to something different in the first place.
    The CW, Warner Bros. TV and Berlanti Productions said jointly, "Warner Bros. Television, The CW and Berlanti Productions thank Ruby for her contributions to the success of our first season and wish her all the best. The studio and network are firmly committed to Batwoman’s second season and long-term future, and we — along with the show’s talented creative team — look forward to sharing its new direction, including the casting of a new lead actress and member of the LGBTQ community, in the coming months."
    Here’s the official statement. Nowhere do they say they are planning to recast the role of Kate Kane. And honestly, even if that is what happens, casting an actress to play a new character is more believable. So until there is an official statement suggesting otherwise that is my theory

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Here’s the official statement. Nowhere do they say they are planning to recast the role of Kate Kane. And honestly, even if that is what happens, casting an actress to play a new character is more believable. So until there is an official statement suggesting otherwise that is my theory
    That they say "member of the LGTBQ community" tells me they're casting someone else to play Kate, since why else specify that they'll be LGBTQ unless they're still playing a lesbian? Unless it's another lesbian woman who ends up in the Batsuit, but that just seems a bit much.

BANNED

That they say "member of the LGTBQ community" tells me they're casting someone else to play Kate, since why else specify that they'll be LGBTQ unless they're still playing a lesbian? Unless it's another lesbian woman who ends up in the Batsuit, but that just seems a bit much.
    Why is that a bit much? What’s wrong with that? You think Kate Kane is the only lesbian around or something? They specified it because both of the showrunners are LGBT and want that to be a consistent element. Doesn’t mean they’re recasting Kate Kane
    Last edited by Elmo; 05-20-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Why is that a bit much? What’s wrong with that? You think Kate Kane is the only lesbian around or something? They specified it because both of the showrunners are LGBT and want that to be a consistent element. Doesn’t mean they’re recasting Kate Kane
    I mean, Batwoman is associated with being a lesbian because she's Kate Kane, so I feel like the two are kind of intrinsically linked.

Just plopping in another lesbian woman into Kate's world, supporting cast, and purpose just doesn't seem like the move they'll make here.

BANNED

I mean, Batwoman is associated with being a lesbian because she's Kate Kane, so I feel like the two are kind of intrinsically linked.

Just plopping in another lesbian woman into Kate's world, supporting cast, and purpose just doesn't seem like the move they'll make here.
    We have no idea at this point because it’s too early to tell. You have your theories I have mine. Also in the real world there are many lesbians FYI

BANNED

We have no idea at this point because it’s too early to tell. You have your theories I have mine. Also in the real world there are many lesbians FYI
    I think his point is that only one of those lesbians is Batwoman. Can another one be Batwoman? Sure, this is comic fantasy stuff. She could be from Pluto.

But we're also talking about intellectual property here. WB doesn't own Ruby, but they do own Kate Kane, and this show is a weekly advertisement for that character in other mediums. You take that advertising away, you're also talking about changing the comic (see the return of Robin comics after Batman Forever, even though he'd recently been killed off)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    I think his point is that only one of those lesbians is Batwoman. Can another one be Batwoman? Sure, this is comic fantasy stuff. She could be from Pluto.

But we're also talking about intellectual property here. WB doesn't own Ruby, but they do own Kate Kane, and this show is a weekly advertisement for that character in other mediums. You take that advertising away, you're also talking about changing the comic (see the return of Robin comics after Batman Forever, even though he'd recently been killed off)

Sorry but these shows have barely influenced anything in comic books. Several characters have or had TV shows going without comics in publication. We are long past those days I’m afraid.

All I’m saying is that it’s not unreasonable to think another character can’t take up the mantle. It’s happened before for example on Babylon 5. I’m not saying that’s what definitively will happen but I don’t need a bunch of dudes trying to debunk everything I’m saying just because I said they never said they would recast. This show is barely watchable to begin with

I don't see why they would try to force a new character into being Batwoman instead of just recasting the role. The former just seems like more of a headache to workaround then the latter.
    Also in the real world there are many lesbians FYI
    I...never said there weren't ?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    If it's true that she wasn't happy with the schedule or her hours, that might actually explain why Alice has been such a big part of the show, occupying so much screentime. (and of course, Rose's injury)

Speculation will persist, but if this "source" is going to put out a story implying that Rose was unpleasant to work with, they need to stand up and stand behind their words, imo.
    Rachel Skarsten has also been killing it as Alice, I also think it's one of those situations where the writers can't help but write for her because she's so good in everything she does.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Sorry but these shows have barely influenced anything in comic books. Several characters have or had TV shows going without comics in publication. We are long past those days I’m afraid.

All I’m saying is that it’s not unreasonable to think another character can’t take up the mantle. It’s happened before for example on Babylon 5. I’m not saying that’s what definitively will happen but I don’t need a bunch of dudes trying to debunk everything I’m saying just because I said they never said they would recast. This show is barely watchable to begin with
    Recasting the character is the best option. Having another character take over will feel forced.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Rachel Skarsten has also been killing it as Alice, I also think it's one of those situations where the writers can't help but write for her because she's so good in everything she does.
    Yep. A case where the villain is so much more compelling than the leads that they end up finding ways to keep them around even when it doesn't make sense plot wise. Its Sylar from Heroes all over again.

It’s not based around Kate Kane anymore bc she’s leaving. So, new character. Why are you scared of the show being different?
    Kate Kane isn't leaving, Ruby Rose is. A new actress will be Kate Kane.

Astonishing Member

I wouldn't even address the casting change in the story. Make her Kate and move on. You can do a cute little nod in one of the crossovers. Have Barry or one of team Flash make a small you look different haha and keep it moving. I would much rather they fix almost everything else about the show. I'll actually watch again to see the new actress