Extraordinary Member

Default Catwoman: Lonely City #1 Preview

Catwoman: Lonely City #1 Preview
    Writer: Cliff Chiang
    Artist: Cliff Chiang

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

55 year old, 30 years of experience, this one began at 25
    Mixed race white Hispanic, it's the Cuban mom and alcoholic dad from the first series

Looks interesting .

I'm intrigued

Looks great.

I might pick this up
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

So, thoughts?

Overall I liked it, but the story doesn't feel very unique and maybe its coming at a bad time when Batman franchise is dealing with Magistrate/police state plot point.
    I was also a bit confused about her break in, as I understand its same break in, but there is a big gap between beginning and ending and at some point she switches into her costume?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    So, thoughts?

Overall I liked it, but the story doesn't feel very unique and maybe its coming at a bad time when Batman franchise is dealing with Magistrate/police state plot point.
    I was also a bit confused about her break in, as I understand its same break in, but there is a big gap between beginning and ending and at some point she switches into her costume?
    It's an interesting setup, and gorgeous as expected, but I'm not quite sure it offers THAT much different in an oversaturated AU Future Landscape, with Future State: Gotham ongoing, Bat/Cat focusing on an older Selina after Bruce's death as well. It's not bad at all, and it has a sense of fun and melancholy which play off each other nicely, but it doesn't really grab me the way either King's book or Cooke's writer/artist take do. But I'm still interested after the first issue, so that's good.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

This could be worth a read.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I enjoyed it. Sure it isnt exactly anything mind blowingly new but the story is fun, art is GORGEOUS. The worst part of it was Barbara's hair cut and her always being destined to become the bitter one of the batfam.

So, thoughts?

Enjoyed it but yeah it felt very familiar. Of course that’s a problem across the board with all these Batbooks, you tend to see a lot of repetition. Still Chiang’s art is worth the price of entry alone and it focuses on Catwoman so that differentiates it from Future State.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Yeah, art is great. DC should really try to get more projects from Chiang.

Yeah, art is great. DC should really try to get more projects from Chiang.
    He just doesn't do anything for me, the art was the reason I didn't get it.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    It's an interesting setup, and gorgeous as expected, but I'm not quite sure it offers THAT much different in an oversaturated AU Future Landscape, with Future State: Gotham ongoing, Bat/Cat focusing on an older Selina after Bruce's death as well. It's not bad at all, and it has a sense of fun and melancholy which play off each other nicely, but it doesn't really grab me the way either King's book or Cooke's writer/artist take do. But I'm still interested after the first issue, so that's good.
    See, I thought despite covering similar territory this was way better look at an older hero in future Gotham than Future State and tremendously better than Bat/Cat. The art is better than either of those books and the way it mixed a sense of optimism in with the despotism I feel it just reads better.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!