Page 12 of 134 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

I always believed that #50 would define the run should King do anything mind-numbingly stupid all things considered. spoilers:
    and he did. By not going through with the wedding after nearly a year of advertising, marketing, and build up of such, he's sabotaged his entire run; its a complete and utter waste of investment.
    end of spoilers
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I always believed that #50 would define the run should King do anything mind-numbingly stupid all things considered. spoilers:
    and he did. By not going through with the wedding after nearly a year of advertising, marketing, and build up of such, he's sabotaged his entire run; its a complete and utter waste of investment.
    end of spoilers
    I don't think it's necessarily a waste - and I say this as someone who's pretty darn disappointed. Because this is a midpoint. But I think it could have been a more interesting midpoint.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I don't think it's necessarily a waste - and I say this as someone who's pretty darn disappointed. Because this is a midpoint. But I think it could have been a more interesting midpoint.
    I think once the 100 issues are up. Issue 50 will definitely be viewed differently.

Fantastic Member

No this is the high point of tom kings run on batman he wanted to deconstruct him and make him incompetent doing so mission accomplish I say

Damn, I don’t know if I should spoil myself the surprise. I can’t say I care much if they end up marrying or not, but how King tells it and what he will do with it. But in the other hand, DC pulled such a marketing stunt, that not going along with the wedding would feel as a fraud
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    I think once the 100 issues are up. Issue 50 will definitely be viewed differently.
    I hope so. But remember, it's 103.

Quote Originally Posted by nonsense man View Post
    No this is the high point of tom kings run on batman he wanted to deconstruct him and make him incompetent doing so mission accomplish I say
    That's nonsense, man.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

A couple of you guys are saying "we're only halfway through the run, just be patient". Ok but the problem is now that people are pissed off how badly are sales going to drop? DC expects Batman to be selling around the 100k mark. If this stunt causes sales to dip below 90k King is going to be gone. Hell he might be mad enough to just leave thanks to DC's absolutely moronic marketing.

He might not GET to write 100 issues now.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    A couple of you guys are saying "we're only halfway through the run, just be patient". Ok but the problem is now that people are pissed off how badly are sales going to drop? DC expects Batman to be selling around the 100k mark. If this stunt causes sales to dip below 90k King is going to be gone. Hell he might be mad enough to just leave thanks to DC's absolutely moronic marketing.

We'll have to wait and see on that. Tynion was planning to write 66 issues of Detective, and he only got 48. Tomasi and Gleason were planning on 100 issues of Superman, and they got 43ish. So you have a distinct point. I'll be very curious. I know I'm not planning to buy #50 at this point - but it's not like I cancelled my preorder. I just don't intend to pick it up from the stands or anything now. So that's not really a "lost sale". The real test will be the people who have it in their pull list.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

There's only so much patience you can expect from the audience, especially when they are forking over money for each individual magazine. The full picture should be saved until the end, but mini "rewards" and answers should be dropped along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    There's only so much patience you can expect from the audience, especially when they are forking over money for each individual magazine. The full picture should be saved until the end, but mini "rewards" and answers should be dropped along the way.
    Agreed. We'll have to see what the fallout is. And King better give one heck of a followup interview on Wednesday/Thursday.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post

We'll have to wait and see on that. Tynion was planning to write 66 issues of Detective, and he only got 48. Tomasi and Gleason were planning on 100 issues of Superman, and they got 43ish. So you have a distinct point. I'll be very curious. I know I'm not planning to buy #50 at this point - but it's not like I cancelled my preorder. I just don't intend to pick it up from the stands or anything now. So that's not really a "lost sale". The real test will be the people who have it in their pull list.
    Should anyone really be surprised by this?

I mean, we have all seen this before: Writer X thinks s/he has Y number of issues but ends up with only Z.

If I know this and you know this, then King must know this also. Disappointing, yes, but part of job.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    This is the Death of Superman all over again. Deceive the casual fans to make a quick buck. If this occurs, I'll never trust King again. I detest bait & switch.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-01-2018 at 04:05 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    spoilers:
    This is the Death of Superman all over again. Deceive the casual fans to make a quick buck. If this occurs, I'll never trust King again. I detest bait & switch.
    end of spoilers
    Except Superman actually died for a period.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    spoilers:
    Touché, you have a point lol.
    end of spoilers
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Touché, you have a point lol.
    end of spoilers

No one, and I do mean no one, expected Superman to stay dead for any substantial length of time.