Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GaryFisher View Post
    Well, maybe a little different ideas.
    By the way, did you see this week's GL Dark Star issue? Steph was in, got infected along with other family members, by some kind of pseudo-Batman-Who-Laughs virus.
    She was? Oh, my. I need to check this out for the wiki

Found it! And...I'm completely lost. Ah, well. Nice to see Morrison still remembers Steph. And...Burnside Batgirl? And Flamebird? That's a weird Batman and the Batgirls choice.

Last edited by millernumber1; 12-04-2019 at 07:33 PM.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Incredible Member

It's hard to tell, because her whole face is in shadows, but if anything Steph may be wearing a domino mask. Her eyes are in a heavy shadow, but nose, cheeks and teeth are visible. But everyone here looks totally nuts, with crazy eyes. Except Cass, who appears to be wearing a gas mask.

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    It's hard to tell, because her whole face is in shadows, but if anything Steph may be wearing a domino mask. Her eyes are in a heavy shadow, but nose, cheeks and teeth are visible. But everyone here looks totally nuts, with crazy eyes. Except Cass, who appears to be wearing a gas mask.
    I mean, this is an AU parody of DCeased and Batman Who Laughs, so...eh.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post

Found it! And...I'm completely lost. Ah, well. Nice to see Morrison still remembers Steph. And...Burnside Batgirl? And Flamebird? That's a weird Batman and the Batgirls choice.

What is this? Another Dark universe? Because Batman Who laughs killed Barbara..

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    What is this? Another Dark universe? Because Batman Who laughs killed Barbara..
    this is from a new green lanterns mini series grant morrison is writing. alternate universe.

That's not Burnside Batgirl, it's the previous costume, from Gail Simone's run in the first half of New 52.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That's not Burnside Batgirl, it's the previous costume, from Gail Simone's run in the first half of New 52.
    No, it's Burnside. Simone's run had an armored black and gold design, not the blue/purple jacket look with yellow lace-up boots. The Simone run design was stolen from Steph's...which also inspired Steph's current look, which I appreciate was captured very well by Xermenico here.

That's not purple, it's black, and it's lacking the shoulder parts the Burnside costume had. That's not a jacket either, where's the zipper? You're right about the boots though. The design isn't drawn quite right but it's closer to the previous design than the Burnside one.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Well, I think everybody is right. The overall impression is Burnside, though the belt doesn't fit like the Burnside belt and is more like the Simone belt. And the jacket has some vertical stitching on it that even reminds me of the jacket in Curse of the White Knight.

I agree there is no zipper on the jacket, so maybe it's like a pullover sweater. The bottom edge of it appears to be just below the belt, above the leggings, so it's some kind of sweater, sweatshirt or jacket. Or maybe it zips from the side or back!

Who knows how they get into and out of these things. On TV and film sets, masked heroes have 2 masks - one that is glued on to their faces by the makeup team, and one that they can hold in their hands or rest behind their necks. For instance, Flash on CW TV. You see him moving to peel back his mask, and then there is ALWAYS a cut, and then his mask is off and resting on his neck. You never see him removing it, because it's not physically possible.

Anyway, aside from costume inaccuracies for Barbara, I think it's still kinda fun that Morrison included all four of the Batgirls...though a bit odd he didn't include Carrie. Maybe he doesn't think that's relevant enough to satirize?

Amazing Member

Anyway, aside from costume inaccuracies for Barbara, I think it's still kinda fun that Morrison included all four of the Batgirls...though a bit odd he didn't include Carrie. Maybe he doesn't think that's relevant enough to satirize?
    This reminds me that Morrison originally planned to include both Steph and Cass in his Batman Inc. story, which was obviously interrupted by New 52.

I haven't been following it, so I don't know for certain; but what I've heard it's that this is a “what if” scenario that takes the mainstream DCU and says “what if we had Blackstars instead of Green Lanterns?” All four of the Batgirls in the picture have made costumed appearances in the mainstream DCU that this is supposedly a variant of. Carrie's existence in the mainstream DCU consists of a forgettable bit part in the “five stages of grief” story arc that was written in the wake of Damian's death; and the closest she ever got to appearing in costume was that she apparently likes to cosplay as Robin at Halloween parties.

It's not that she's not relevant enough to satirize; it's that turning the mainstream version of her into a costumed vigilante would be too much of a stretch.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I haven't been following it, so I don't know for certain; but what I've heard it's that this is a “what if” scenario that takes the mainstream DCU and says “what if we had Blackstars instead of Green Lanterns?” All four of the Batgirls in the picture have made costumed appearances in the mainstream DCU that this is supposedly a variant of. Carrie's existence in the mainstream DCU consists of a forgettable bit part in the “five stages of grief” story arc that was written in the wake of Damian's death; and the closest she ever got to appearing in costume was that she apparently likes to cosplay as Robin at Halloween parties.

It's not that she's not relevant enough to satirize; it's that turning the mainstream version of her into a costumed vigilante would be too much of a stretch.
    Ah, I see what you're saying. Carrie's never been Batgirl in the main timeline. Still would be kinda nice, since it's an AU, but it wouldn't make sense. Even with Babs' very strange costume choice, everyone is wearing a mainstream continuity outfit, and Cass and Steph are wearing their current ones.

Ah, I see what you're saying. Carrie's never been Batgirl in the main timeline. Still would be kinda nice, since it's an AU, but it wouldn't make sense. Even with Babs' very strange costume choice, everyone is wearing a mainstream continuity outfit, and Cass and Steph are wearing their current ones.
    Not just hasn't been Bat girl (in the main timeline or not; in Millard universe, she went from Robin to Catgirl to “Batman” to Bat woman; never Bat girl) : in the main timeline, she's barely been anything. And what little she's been doesn't include superhero or costumed crimefighter. The extent of her existence was to give Damian acting lessons.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Not just hasn't been Bat girl (in the main timeline or not; in Millard universe, she went from Robin to Catgirl to “Batman” to Bat woman; never Bat girl) : in the main timeline, she's barely been anything. And what little she's been doesn't include superhero or costumed crimefighter. The extent of her existence was to give Damian acting lessons.
    Yeah. I know. Though I thought the green and pink costume was her two-day Batgirl phase, before she became Batwoman. But it's kinda moot, since again, not main continuity.

However, back to Steph! Do people think she'll have some side pages based on her texts in the most recent issue, or are those texts all we get until #14 in March?