Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default John Arcudi leaving B.P.R.D.?!

I'm a little confused. These two quotes sure make it sound like John is leaving after Hell on Earth wraps up, but then they only go on to talk about Roberson working on Hellboy and the BPRD title.

And while next year will also see the conclusion of John Arcudi’s acclaimed run on B.P.R.D...
    I was sorry to see John go and obviously, it was going to be a very big deal who was going to take over John’s role,” Mignola explains to EW. “And the reason why our stuff has worked for so long is that it’s only been a couple of writers on this stuff. Scott Allie was the editor, now he’s the writer, and then John and I. So the idea of bringing someone in this late in the game was really horrifying.” Despite that hesitation, it was Mignola’s previous relationship with Roberson that helped him realize he already had the perfect successor.
    you can read the whole thing here: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/06...68976a07744c11

Very hard to imagine anyone else writing the main BPRD title. Maybe it'll end in such a different place that it won't need John at the helm, but, it's still just crazy to imagine the book without him. If he is indeed leaving.

EDIT: from CBR,
    Following this morning's news that longtime "B.P.R.D." writer John Arcudi would be stepping down from his post
    So, I guess he is leaving. ****...
    Last edited by Joker; 07-07-2015 at 07:08 AM.

Devastating news.

Fantastic Member

My heart is a little bit broken. Still, we have another 12 issues remaining from the great man, and he also says he will still be writing Lobster Johnson, which is good.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArcudiJoh...20497521471488
    Last edited by zerodemon; 07-07-2015 at 07:26 AM.

Crazy. I literally never thought this day would come.

I'm in shock over here too. I wonder where the series will go after this. Though until we see these final arcs it's hard to guess

The Claw of Justice!

I'm glad to see he will still write Lobster Johnson, but I am very sad to see him leave the BPRD title.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Devastating news.
    Agreed. ANY book with WRITTEN BY ARCUDI on it was a guaranteed winner. I am definitely a bit concerned...

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Storey View Post
    Agreed. ANY book with WRITTEN BY ARCUDI on it was a guaranteed winner. I am definitely a bit concerned...
    Yeah, he's an awesome writer but I trust that who ever Mignola picks will be great, he hasn't failed to recruit top talent yet.

Ugh. This is a punch in the gut similar to when Guy Davis left... but, they've proven themselves with their ability to bring new folks into the fold, so I'm not especially fearful.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Ugh. This is a punch in the gut similar to when Guy Davis left... but, they've proven themselves with their ability to bring new folks into the fold, so I'm not especially fearful.
    I'll second that "Ugh". Arcudi has been key to my enjoyment of BPRD. Thanks for all you've done, John! It's been much appreciated.

Side note: I was always curious why Dark Horse didn't publish John's A God Somewhere & Rumble. If he's the rock of one of your longest running titles, number-wise, why wouldn't you publish his passion projects? And yes, I know they published The Creep.

I'm hugely thankful for mr John Arcudi's assistance toward the B.P.R.D. and to what it has become, as a result.

I like how thankful mr Mike Mignola sounds about it in the interview, as pointing out the fact how his good friend John Arcudi has been a colleage or associate on the Mignolaverse for over twenty years running.

Before the B.P.R.D. I had never heard of mr John, but I'm glad I could become to know his work as being as swell and buff as the B.P.R.D. plus what little recorded interviews with him I've found him to seem a pretty cool dude.
    But that will go for most of the folks on the team (although what mr Richard Corben is like seems much a total mystery - as yet).

Quote Originally Posted by thb View Post
    Side note: I was always curious why Dark Horse didn't publish John's A God Somewhere & Rumble. If he's the rock of one of your longest running titles, number-wise, why wouldn't you publish his passion projects? And yes, I know they published The Creep.
    Maybe that's just because others did?
    I mean in publishing it won't be the norm to only publish either all or nothing?
    Even in comics or the entertainment industry in general any kind of unique licensing won't have to be the norm?
    Look at Mignola, lots of his covers or drawings or work for comics both as prose books or whatever may get done for Dark Horse BOTH as for other publishers or other creative establishments, respectively?
    I've heard some comic artists as becoming under exclusive license contracts - mostly in the distant archaic past, but, I usually can't really wrap my head around such. I can understand license onto publishing rights, but buying up artists/creatives seems funky to me. Or at least I'm just greatful for what actual work can become to be something, into whatever format or brandings really.

And to me it seems it won't have to be, that a publisher not publishing anything would mean they wouldn't like it?
    Dark Horse might wish they would have published as fine a book as Tyler Crook his Petrograd (Oni Press).
    Dark Horse did or does actually feature a printed hardcover version of Cameron Stewart's finished webcomic Sin Titulo, even aside of who or what party actually backed or initiated the title to begin with.
    Dark Horse isn't publishing the Avengers. Or the new Batman. Regardless whether they'd like to or not. To my knowledge Dark Horse isn't publishing Twilight the Comic or Yugioh. Whether they'd like to seems a whole other question.

I just feel it's usually an accomplishment to actually get to publish anything at all really, for whatever publishers or creatives or fans alike, wouldn't you say?
    Last edited by Kees_L; 07-09-2015 at 06:17 AM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

https://twitter.com/ScottAllie/statu...51986594308097
    In the replies to this tweet where Scott Allie confirms a mystery project from John Arcudi he says 'It's not a frog, but it's another waterborne creature.'
    After this I noticed a detail I had forgot from this week's Abe Sapien Hell Notes about the Oannes Society believing Panya to be Naunet, a 'diety of the primordial watery abyss.' So could this project be Panya related? In the Robots From Tomorrow podcast he did say how he wished he could have developed Panya more because he created the character.

Quote Originally Posted by horror-of-sorts View Post
    In the Robots From Tomorrow podcast he did say how he wished he could have developed Panya more because he created the character.
    Well spotted.
    Although I personally would think that the safest way to put things would be that John Arcudi shaped Panya into a character. As so many of the core characters such as Johann or Werejaguars and wendigos or Daryls and whatnot.
    Further shaping and adding onto the stuff between mr Mike and his editor Scott Allie both as all the others from writers to artists or in between?
    Like eventhough the Oannes Society and the Naunet deity (just like also the old Society coots chasing the lady or "medium" apt to recounted bits from the Secret History Of the World as for the once Goddess Hecate her former self) would pretty much be elements as hinted upon eversince the earliest comic issues of Hellboy and as such the B.P.R.D.

I would agree that mr John Arcudi's work will likely maintain to resonate in what would still be to come.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by horror-of-sorts View Post
    https://twitter.com/ScottAllie/statu...51986594308097
    In the replies to this tweet where Scott Allie confirms a mystery project from John Arcudi he says 'It's not a frog, but it's another waterborne creature.'
    After this I noticed a detail I had forgot from this week's Abe Sapien Hell Notes about the Oannes Society believing Panya to be Naunet, a 'diety of the primordial watery abyss.' So could this project be Panya related? In the Robots From Tomorrow podcast he did say how he wished he could have developed Panya more because he created the character.
    Hmm. That's a very interesting theory.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Noooooooooooooooooooooo. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? Doggone it, this sucks rotten eggs. Is there a chance Mike takes his place? Why can't he write it?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor