Page 124 of 744 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174224624 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 11160

I don't think so, except in the dryest, most technical sense. They've been xenophobes who regard everyone other than themselves as barbarians for thousands of years. If anything, they likely hated other Africans more than they hated everyone else, simply because Africans were right over the border and a posed a constant threat of invasion and raiding since day-one. In other words, they'd hate them the way the Chinese hated the Japanese and Mongols.

Funny, I thought they were fictional.

Also, do I need to remind everyone of the old Rule One again?

Wakanda Xenophobic Forever...

Every time another African nation tries to invade yet again Wakanda be like...

Killmonger: "Outsiders... BURN EM ALL!!!"
    Get Hectic!

O.G.'s stand up!

The Fish That Saved Wakanda...

All this talk about which basketball player best represents King T'challa begins and ends at Dr. J...

Notice how dude doesn't use the fancy car to get the girl or make his point he uses his extra smooth game to do all the talking!

I need to school you young padawans on why you never hate the player but always hate the game!

Class starts early Monday morning so bring a number 2 pencil, a notepad and a pack of chiclets... Your own personal theme music is optional but it helps!
    Get Hectic!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Based on your supposition but still unsupported by what's been clearly stated in cannon by Lee and Kirby who made it clear that Wakandans are African. (Albeit unsullied by slavery/colonislism.)
    You're playing word games and I'm not. I'm going only by what's been depicted in ALL the comics and you're limiting yourself to one issue of the fantastic four written in 1966.

Wakanda was Wakanda before Africa had a name. think about it. Its destiny diverged from the rest of the continent (and the world) at that time as well. they're centuries ahead of the rest of the planet technologically and have been for thousands of years. they sat by and watched as their neighbors were colonized, murdered and enslaved like, "Not our problem." for THOUSANDS of years. They murder anyone who crosses their border, which means, until Europeans showed up a few hundred years ago, they were murdering their neighbors. for ten thousand years.

they chose not to be part of the rest of the continent in a social, civilizational sense. OF COURSE the land is physically part of the continent.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    They have no familial, linguistic or cultural ties to any other group in Africa, again, by their own choice.
    ...but that's not true, at all. They actually do.

We've seen Wakandans use the Bantu, Nguni, I think Swahili and famously Hausa languages in their culture. Names like Okoye for instance is of Igbo origin.

Whoever it was that was drawing Wakanda at their didn't invent some new architectural or cultural language for Wakanda, so many of their buildings, clothing, traditions, weapons and so on bear striking similarities to that of other African countries.

Let's also not forget that some Wakandans worship Bast and Sekhmet like the Egyptians and other African tribes did.

You say this as if no single interpretation of Wakanda didn't take inspiration from world African countries, which isn't true at all.

You're playing word games and I'm not. I'm going only by what's been depicted in ALL the comics and you're limiting yourself to one issue of the fantastic four written in 1966.

Wakanda was Wakanda before Africa had a name. think about it. Its destiny diverged from the rest of the continent (and the world) at that time as well. they're centuries ahead of the rest of the planet technologically and have been for thousands of years. they sat by and watched as their neighbors were colonized, murdered and enslaved like, "Not our problem." for THOUSANDS of years. They murder anyone who crosses their border, which means, until Europeans showed up a few hundred years ago, they were murdering their neighbors. for ten thousand years.

they chose not to be part of the rest of the continent in a social, civilizational sense. OF COURSE the land is physically part of the continent.
    This is a interesting convo, I guess it is harder to conceive because the creators of Wakanda pushed a Wakanda that reflects parts of Africa and not create entirely new society that looks and feels nothing like well "Africa". In the MCU the Wakanda we see is bits and pieces of real world Africa. I mean understand what is being said If you replace Wakanda with Attilan, I don't think people would necessarily call it Africa. Wakanda has been separated from "Africa" so long and the have been evolving they are entirely a new thing. If superhero comics were more scifi territory someone would have developed a language,city design,etc that are vast different anything around. In just talking about it Wakandan should be susceptible to diseases because they haven't been part of civilization and building up natural immunity to things over the years( I guess they foresight to send spies go out into the world and collect disease/antibodies for things) .

I get the concept of why someone would say Wakanda is not Africa BUT it is on Africa, It is culture evolved from Africa, Its descendants are African and you can make an argument that society like that cut off from being intermingled with culture and races is the most African you can be. I can see why someone would say Wakanda is Africa. Lupita Nyong viewed Wakanda as sort of view on Africa that was never colonized. I get both points of view

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    ...but that's not true, at all. They actually do.

We've seen Wakandans use the Bantu, Nguni, I think Swahili and famously Hausa languages in their culture. Names like Okoye for instance is of Igbo origin.

Whoever it was that was drawing Wakanda at their didn't invent some new architectural or cultural language for Wakanda, so many of their buildings, clothing, traditions, weapons and so on bear striking similarities to that of other African countries.

Let's also not forget that some Wakandans worship Bast and Sekhmet like the Egyptians and other African tribes did.

You say this as if no single interpretation of Wakanda didn't take inspiration from world African countries, which isn't true at all.

yeah.... that's called a pastiche. in this case it's just to add an air of plausibility to a fictional construct. they teach Klingon in schools too. does that indicate cultural interaction? No. there is no actual Wakandan language, just bits of existing languages thrown together for spice with zero thought given to how the actual languages developed, where they developed or how a culture such as Wakanda would be able to combine them.

i say this because Wakanda is a fictional pastiche of a billion things (just like Shangri La or Narnia) but the story of the place means it predates all the cultures it's supposedly drawing from and was separate from them before they got started. LONG before. That separation is the core conceit of the construct- the ultimate "hermit kingdom." Well, you can't be both entirely separate from something while at the same time being part of it.

Great Kitty Bast... don't you get it?

You're BOTH right.

Biologically & geographically, Wakanda is African, plus whatever the mound added to the mix.

Politically and culturally, Wakanda isn't African and doesn't really want to be.

Sheesh.

Well, you can't be both entirely separate from something while at the same time being part of it.
    Of course you can. Wakanda wasn't just separate from Africa, they were separate from the entire world, but no one would argue that Wakandans aren't Earthlings/Human. They obviously are both separate from it and a part of it. As you know Africa is about as diverse as you can get. Different languages, religions, cultures, skin tones and levels of technological prowess. Wakanda just adds an even more diverse element (vibranium tech) to Africa in the MU while still sharing a few things with some African tribes (i.e. religion, clothing, languages etc.)

Wakanda is not Africa.
    Wakanda is Wakanda.
    I would agree. But i would also add that South Africa is not Africa, South Africa is South Africa, and Nigeria is not Africa, Nigeria is Nigeria. All of them together are Africa and that includes Wakanda (in the MU obviously).

And Pastiche is a term we use to evaluate art in the real world, but that doesn't work in-universe. If someone asked T'challa why he dresses like an African he wouldn't say "Its a Pastiche" or "its just a coincidence our cultures came up with similar styles". He would say Because I am African. Just like if an alien asked him why he looks like a human he would say because I am human.

And correct me if I'm wrong but although Wakandans would kill other Africans that tried to enter their lands, they were free to travel around Africa all they like, weren't they? Which means they were probably taking all kinds of cultural elements such as clothing designs, art styles, food recipes, etc from the rest of Africa back to Wakanda all the time. Just cause Wakanda didn't share with the rest of Africa, doesn't necessarily mean the rest of Africa wasn't sharing with Wakanda without knowing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post

You're BOTH right.

Biologically & geographically, Wakanda is African, plus whatever the mound added to the mix.

Politically and culturally, Wakanda isn't African and doesn't really want to be.

Sheesh.
    What is politically and culturally African? The politics of Eswatini is an absolute monarchy ruled jointly by King Mswati III and Queen Mother Ntfombi Tfwala, and right across the border you have South Africa which is a liberal democracy. you could find the same stark differences culturally. Eswatini is the only absolute monarchy left in Africa but wanting to be separate and different doesn't make them any less African. Africa is one of the most diverse places on Earth.

And to answer my own question, Politically and Culturally African refers to the politics and culture of Africans. If Wakanda is in Africa and their politics and culture weren't imported by Europeans, Asians etc, then their politics and culture are African.
    Last edited by Pumbaa; 02-13-2019 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post

You're BOTH right.

Sheesh.
    Hey as long as it doesn't divulge into I'm right, your wrong conversation and everyone stays civil, I don't mind it. BP has blown up that our conversations on our board can move into other topics. I prefer this over say, why T'Challa beating Tony doesn't count
    Last edited by Ezyo1000; 02-13-2019 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    poor out some liquor for OG Queen Shuri

It is all over for her now. ShuriQ is here to stay
    dammit, I thought this version of Shuri would just be in her book that I could ignore
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    dammit, I thought this version of Shuri would just be in her book that I could ignore
    Haven't you been reading BP vs Deadpool? I would recommend it.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
    Of course you can. Wakanda wasn't just separate from Africa, they were separate from the entire world, but no one would argue that Wakandans aren't Earthlings/Human. They obviously are both separate from it and a part of it. As you know Africa is about as diverse as you can get. Different languages, religions, cultures, skin tones and levels of technological prowess. Wakanda just adds an even more diverse element (vibranium tech) to Africa in the MU while still sharing a few things with some African tribes (i.e. religion, clothing, languages etc.)

I would agree. But i would also add that South Africa is not Africa, South Africa is South Africa, and Nigeria is not Africa, Nigeria is Nigeria. All of them together are Africa and that includes Wakanda (in the MU obviously).

And Pastiche is a term we use to evaluate art in the real world, but that doesn't work in-universe. If someone asked T'challa why he dresses like an African he wouldn't say "Its a Pastiche" or "its just a coincidence our cultures came up with similar styles". He would say Because I am African. Just like if an alien asked him why he looks like a human he would say because I am human.

And correct me if I'm wrong but although Wakandans would kill other Africans that tried to enter their lands, they were free to travel around Africa all they like, weren't they? Which means they were probably taking all kinds of cultural elements such as clothing designs, art styles, food recipes, etc from the rest of Africa back to Wakanda all the time. Just cause Wakanda didn't share with the rest of Africa, doesn't necessarily mean the rest of Africa wasn't sharing with Wakanda without knowing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
    What is politically and culturally African? The politics of Eswatini is an absolute monarchy ruled jointly by King Mswati III and Queen Mother Ntfombi Tfwala, and right across the border you have South Africa which is a liberal democracy. you could find the same stark differences culturally. Eswatini is the only absolute monarchy left in Africa but wanting to be separate and different doesn't make them any less African. Africa is one of the most diverse places on Earth.

And to answer my own question, Politically and Culturally African refers to the politics and culture of Africans. If Wakanda is in Africa and their politics and culture weren't imported by Europeans, Asians etc, then their politics and culture are African.
    And I believe that is that. Couldn't have said it better. All I'm saying is it makes no sense to say Wakanda isn't Africa because they were isolationist.

Honestly this whole thing just boils down to people still being unable to view Africa as an extremely diverse place and not just one big land with the same kind of people who have all the same experiences and cultures. There's no one African culture, African politics and so on just to assume Wakanda is it's complete own entity.