Page 265 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1652152552612622632642652662672682692753153657651265 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,975 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If he thinks this is a money grab I wonder what he thinks literally every other superhero movie ever made was.
    I don't know, but hoping a studio goes under for giving the Joker an origin in an elseworlds movie is a bit over the top. Sometimes I can't stand the wider fandom.

Retired

Am I going to have to start avoiding these threads because folks want to spoil the Joker movie for me? Man, I thought I had a few more months before I had to duck and cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If he thinks this is a money grab I wonder what he thinks literally every other superhero movie ever made was.
    What I think he means is they didn't want to tell a Joker story they wanted to tell a story about a man descending into madness. Which is a good story and great for Oscar nominations because it's called Taxi Driver and doing a modern take on that kind of story can be interesting. But by adding the name Joker and saying elseworlds it feels like they are simply using the name Joker for brand recognition and try to avoid Taxi Driver comparisons especially with the film set during the same time period as Taxi Driver was and so it's less of a Joker story and more of wanting cover and the bonus cash grab thanks to the Joker name.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing the film but I also see these elements to it's production.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    Joker shouldn't have an origin. It was a stupid money grab by a film studio that sucks and unfortunately has the rights to our characters. I hope everything they do fails and that they go under. They're dog ****.
    The Joker has an origin, whether you like it or not.
    Also, this movie doesn't claim to adhere to any particular continuity, so it can be anything an Elseworlds tale can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    What I think he means is they didn't want to tell a Joker story they wanted to tell a story about a man descending into madness. Which is a good story and great for Oscar nominations because it's called Taxi Driver and doing a modern take on that kind of story can be interesting. But by adding the name Joker and saying elseworlds it feels like they are simply using the name Joker for brand recognition and try to avoid Taxi Driver comparisons especially with the film set during the same time period as Taxi Driver was and so it's less of a Joker story and more of wanting cover and the bonus cash grab thanks to the Joker name.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing the film but I also see these elements to it's production.
    The idea they didn't want to tell a Joker story is highly presumptuous. It's like saying they didn't want to tell a Wonder Woman story but wanted it to tell a story about World War 1 and simply used the Wonder Woman name for brand recognition. It's an accusation with no evidence to back it up. The Joker has had origins before.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    The Joker has an origin, whether you like it or not.
    Also, this movie doesn't claim to adhere to any particular continuity, so it can be anything an Elseworlds tale can be.
    Yeah, I don't understand the problem with an origin, either, since there was one before almost everyone here on this site was born.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    Joker shouldn't have an origin. It was a stupid money grab by a film studio that sucks and unfortunately has the rights to our characters. I hope everything they do fails and that they go under. They're dog ****.
    These aren't our characters.

Joker's real origin is that he falls into a vat of chemicals .

Retired

I have this memory of seeing a story as a kid in the 1960s that told the origin of the Joker, where he swam through the chemicals and came out of the water with green hair and white skin. But all my searches for such a story never turned anything up. Not the Topps cards, not a colouring book, not the newspaper strip. It's always been a mystery to me--yet I always had that origin story in my head, long before I read "The Man Behind the Red Hood."

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I have this memory of seeing a story as a kid in the 1960s that told the origin of the Joker, where he swam through the chemicals and came out of the water with green hair and white skin. But all my searches for such a story never turned anything up. Not the Topps cards, not a colouring book, not the newspaper strip. It's always been a mystery to me--yet I always had that origin story in my head, long before I read "The Man Behind the Red Hood."
    I'm only familiar with the Red Hood story, Jim, which shows him swimming through the chemicals and now looking like the Joker.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

It's definitely not the "Red Hood" story--unless my memory is playing tricks on me. I had this feeling it was a Justice League story--the kid that lived next door read JUSTICE LEAGUE and sometimes I looked at his comics. But that wasn't it. I can almost see it in front of me, but I can't quite put my finger on what it was.

It’s a Joker origin not necessarily the official origin. He’s not always going to be known as Arthur Fleck. In some stories he was Jack Napier. In others he was some failed stand up comedian who got in too deep with the mob. Ledger’s Joker told about four different origin stories in one movie. Hell, in one story Martha Wayne became The Joker. There’s still a lot of mystery surrounding his origin. The Joker can be anyone. Just think of this as an Elseworld.
    Last edited by Robotman; 06-13-2019 at 12:34 PM.

https://discussingfilm.net/2019/06/1...man-exclusive/

Two-Face and the Mad Hatter will reportedly be in Reeves' Batman movie as well.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    https://discussingfilm.net/2019/06/1...man-exclusive/

Two-Face and the Mad Hatter will reportedly be in Reeves' Batman movie as well.
    Is there any villain that won't be there?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Is there any villain that won't be there?
    The one and only Joker, Arthur Fleck?