Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    You can just @ the 2000s X-Men movies, next time.
    They've suffered enough.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Philips was at a Con where she talked a bit about the book. Select highlights for those interested;

Then it was Phillips’ turn, and she mentioned how she’s living the best of both worlds, having one foot in DC main continuity with Harley Quinn and the other outside of it through Wonder Woman: Evolution. Working with Evolution artist Mike Hawthorne has been an excellent process for her, she said, as the two of them know exactly where the story is going to go with the eight-issue miniseries. This allows Hawthorne to seed different pieces throughout the main narrative, making the story feel 100% cohesive. Arrant stepped in and tried to summarize what he thought the story was about, but it was somewhat spoiler-y, so Phillips told readers to try and figure it out for themselves. What can be said is that this story is designed to show why Diana is not just the female Superman and can stand out on her own as a unique, incredible character in her own right.
    From there, everyone went through their favorite Amazonian characters...and Phillips both said Donna Troy and Artemis because of how messy they both are. Phillips also hinted that one of those two characters would be in Evolution coming up, but wouldn’t say who to let readers experience Mike Hawthorne’s excellent design for themselves.
    https://twitter.com/MikeHawthorne/st...98890002161664

May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'll take "creators who say the right things" for 500, please.
    Do they tho? I was bored while reading that article. None of them seem to have compelling things to say. But fortunately the work being done in Nubia and the Amazons as well as the Bana Migdall backup and in Wondergirl is all good enough that I ultimately don't care about a disappointing interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Do they tho? I was bored while reading that article. None of them seem to have compelling things to say. But fortunately the work being done in Nubia and the Amazons as well as the Bana Migdall backup and in Wondergirl is all good enough that I ultimately don't care about a disappointing interview.
    Every writer talks in platitudes about how Diana is this rich character who isn't Superman-lite and so forth. Scott Snyder was saying all the right things about what Diana means to the DCU and how Death Metal was a Wonder Woman event, but everyone knew better and lo, it was a Batman event.

Look at Zack Snyder interviews about Wonder Woman. He says everything correctly, but watch the finished product. He don't get jack ****.

So yeah, I'll take "creators who say the right things" for 500 and we'll see if Phillips can deliver. I mean her no disrespect or ill will, I want her to succeed. We need more great Wonder Woman writers, and she's addressing one of my primary complaints about modern Harley in her Harley Quinn run right now, so hopefully she proves up to the task of writing Diana as more than a warrior archetype.
    May we never forget:

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Superman looks prettier than WW lol

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Superman looks prettier than WW lol

Lois is a lucky lady.
    May we never forget:

Thanks for Greeksplaining to me, a Greek man. lol

We don't all look the same, as I noted I don't have many ethnically Greek features, but you attributed ugliness to what traditionally are. In my own family we run the range of looking very WASP comparatively to very ethnically Mediterranean.

I draw umbridge with "how dare that woman have ethnically Mediterranean features, she's supposed to be beautiful like Aphrodite!"

Also, hey. Thanks for bringing up Gal, who they cast because she's nebulously light brown with a foreign accent. She's lovely and she's a good Diana, but to most people here, brown and accent is enough. That's why Antonio Banderas can be cast as a Greek man in 2021 and nobody cares.

Your direct comparison to Aphrodite is my problem. You bring up the Greek goddess of beauty and pretty much **** on the notion she actually have Greek features, implying she needs to look like the traditionally blonde, fair skinned Hollywood portrayal that is the result primarily of white washing in adaptions where beauty is presented as pale skin, blue eyes and blonde hair. Nearly every American adaptation of Aphrodite and Helen of Troy follows that model because they're trying to impart that it's more beautiful. I in no way insinuated all Greek women look alike, but nice try putting those words in my mouth.

Yeah, she isn't Greek, but I'm speaking of Aphrodite who explicitly is, yet she's always whitewashed. Moreover, I addressed that Diana is usually portrayed as

Every single time that Diana is not drawn as/portrayed by a glorious vision of Eurocentric "beauty" (and yes, I include Gal Gadot, who is a white woman, regardless of her nationality, and Lynda Carter who is a white woman, regardless of her partly Mexican background), people will complain because of the whole "she is supposed to be as beautiful as Aphrodite" thing. It's inevitable; we live in a world that defines "beauty" as "as close to whiteness as possible." Remember how much people complained when Beyonce was rumored to be playing Diana long before Gal Gadot got the part? Sure, when confronted, people claimed that their problem was not with Beyonce's skin tone but with her acting skills (and that is Beyonce! A black woman of the kind that Hollywoods loves the most: light skinned). But so-so acting skills never stopped Lynda Carter nor Gal Gadot from getting the role of Diana and it never stopped general audiences from embracing their portrayals. Now can you imagine if Lupita Nyongo were cast as Diana?

In any case, I don't mind the features that this artist draws on Diana. She looks strong, powerful, gorgeous, and regal, as Diana should be. I can live with the fact that she does not look like Gal or Lynda or Margot Robbie or Ana De Armas any other white woman in Hollywood traditionally considered "beautiful." The only thing that threw me off about the art was the costume. Obviously, even with the different hairdo, a Wonder Woman drawn without her iconic costume will look like...a white woman who could be any brunette superheroine in comics.

Look at Zack Snyder interviews about Wonder Woman. He says everything correctly, but watch the finished product. He don't get jack ****.
    LOL
    Interview with SNyder: "Diana is the embodiment of compassion, love, and intelligence; she is a fierce warrior but has a loving heart and she seeks peace."
    Snyder's actual DIana work: a picture of Wonder Woman with 4 collected heads of presumably her decapitated enemies, a scene in which Diana, despite possessing superspeed and an endlessly extending lasso, prefers to violently massacre a bunch of human men (who had no chance against her) instead of subduing them without shedding any blood. She also decides to blow away half of the building to kill their leader (all this in front of a group of girls).
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 12-15-2021 at 12:45 PM.

If you think about it, Diana and the Amazons should be rocking full blown body hair while they are out and about but I don't think that's a bridge we'll see any creative team working on WW cross anytime soon.

I'm fine with Diana looking as she's always been portrayed because that's the character. The artist is clearly trying to make her look like she jumped off a painted urn from ancient Greece. Not what I'd do, but I get it.

I don't think they always succeed, and when out of costume she's currently unrecognizable, but I understand what they're going for. That cover in particular isn't the best, but I've seen better from the interiors. I think the style is proving a bit difficult for him to replicate.

Trying to match the fidelity of real life with these characters makes no sense because all of them, including Superman, would likely be riddled with scars and blemishes from where their body repaired damage.

But they don't. It's fiction. That's part of the fun.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-15-2021 at 05:32 PM.
    May we never forget: