Page 97 of 103 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 1538
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    There’s nothing in the Variety article about a rewrite, I thought Johns was submitting his first go at the script.
    Depends on what draft number that is and it the powers that be saw any of them.

What he might have turned in was his final script for them to look at before offering any changes.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Johns was told to rewrite his script and will have a new draft in by the end of the year.

WB says the film is a priority, and it's one of the projects they're interested in having JJ Abrams handling, along with Superman.

https://www.newsarama.com/48026-geof...os-report.html

https://www.newsarama.com/48024-j-j-...lm-report.html

This was brought up a month or so ago, but folks didn't think the original rumor came from a reputable source. Now that Newsarama is saying it, it looks like this will be more convincing.

The other rumor was that WB hopes Superman and GLC will be set in the same universe as The Batman.

JJ Abrams has previously included black characters in leading roles (Almost Human, Undercovers, etc.). With his sci fi blockbuster experience, I think he'd be a good choice for GLC. But there's no "there" there yet.
    JJ Abrams is also responsible for the character of Finn in Star Wars The Force Awakens, one of the worst characters in the franchise and the most embarrassing and pathetic lead character in a Sci Fi franchise. I have no hope for John Stewart if JJ Abrams and Geoff Johns have a creative say with the character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr HardKnocks View Post
    JJ Abrams is also responsible for the character of Finn in Star Wars The Force Awakens, one of the worst characters in the franchise and the most embarrassing and pathetic lead character in a Sci Fi franchise. I have no hope for John Stewart if JJ Abrams and Geoff Johns have a creative say with the character.
    Rian Johnson did more damage to Finn than Abrams did. You can compare how each director handled Finn vs Poe. Abrams could've handled Finn better. Should've been a Han Solo type to Rei's Luke and Poe's Leia. But the only insulting thing Abrams did was put him in sanitation for the sake of a joke, which I rolled my eyes at.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 11-26-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Heheh. Maybe WB wanted a rewrite because Geoff Johns turned in a script with John Stewart only having one scene and one sentence of dialogue. And in that scene he needs to be saved by Hal Jordan.
    Seems like something he would do.
    That’s exactly what he would have done and then announce that John Stewart is a co-lead in the film.

Didn’t he do Overlord?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Rian Johnson did more damage to Finn than Abrams did. You can compare how each director handled Finn vs Poe. Abrams could've handled Finn better. Should've been a Han Solo type to Rei's Luke and Poe's Leia. But the only insulting thing Abrams did was put him in sanitation for the sake of a joke, which I rolled my eyes at.
    There was multiple different showcases of Finn being portrayed as a bad character in the Force Awakens. The first was the deceptive marketing with him holding the lightsaber. The marketing presented him as being the Jedi and he wasn’t. The character has no skills on any level what so ever, he can’t fly, shoot or fight. He gets beat up by a Stormtrooper, the only character in the franchise to do so. He’s portrayed as a sweaty comic relief who has to be saved or make Rey look good. He loses to Kylo Ren and gets comatose in the end and nothing like that has ever happened to a male lead character ever. People can say that The Last Jedi ruined Finn and other characters but the foundation that was set with The Force Awakens was worse than what was done in the sequel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    That’s exactly what he would have done and then announce that John Stewart is a co-lead in the film.
    Until proven otherwise, I'm choosing to believe Geoff Johns has some mental and perhaps even physical block when it comes to writing John Stewart in a worthwhile capacity that portrays him in a positive light, and that does not involve the character blowing up planets and being depressed. I just don't know if he is capable of that at all, especially after that Darkseid War nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Until proven otherwise, I'm choosing to believe Geoff Johns has some mental and perhaps even physical block when it comes to writing John Stewart in a worthwhile capacity that portrays him in a positive light, and that does not involve the character blowing up planets and being depressed. I just don't know if he is capable of that at all, especially after that Darkseid War nonsense.
    He did have Stewart tell Batman to stfu, but that was in defense of Hal so

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He did have Stewart tell Batman to stfu, but that was in defense of Hal so
    Yeah, that was done to get Hal Jordan over more so than John Stewart. John Stewart was just Hal Jordan's cheerleader in that story. Which...I guess is okay in and of itself. It just gets weird when you take a look at the situation and see how lopsided it is. No one EVER does anything like that for John Stewart, I guess because John Stewart rarely has stories that focus on him, and never has major stories with ramifications for the DC Universe that focus on him. And John Stewart is frequently written as needing to turn to Hal Jordan for help. So, when you put the two characters together, it almost never works out in a way in which John is actually strongly presented, and when this is written by Geoff Johns...that's not a red flag, that's like a black flag.

Um...*shrug* who knows, though? A movie has a lot more people involved than comics, so it might turn out differently...or maybe the movie just won't get made at all.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 11-26-2019 at 03:30 PM.

There was multiple different showcases of Finn being portrayed as a bad character in the Force Awakens. The first was the deceptive marketing with him holding the lightsaber. The marketing presented him as being the Jedi and he wasn’t. The character has no skills on any level what so ever, he can’t fly, shoot or fight. He gets beat up by a Stormtrooper, the only character in the franchise to do so. He’s portrayed as a sweaty comic relief who has to be saved or make Rey look good. He loses to Kylo Ren and gets comatose in the end and nothing like that has ever happened to a male lead character ever. People can say that The Last Jedi ruined Finn and other characters but the foundation that was set with The Force Awakens was worse than what was done in the sequel.
    Lol, you better drop that truth!! I never thought I would ever get to point where I wished that a black male character was just killed off. To date I don't even know how dude even goes to interviews about this film he was completely cooned out for no real reason. If John Stewart is brought to the screen in like manner, then just don't! Make it GL solo movie again.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Didn’t he do Overlord?
    Yes a film with a black guy. While the black guy lived-he did NOT save the day.

But the only insulting thing Abrams did was put him in sanitation for the sake of a joke, which I rolled my eyes at.
    What has made it worst is EVERYONE keeps enforcing that about Finn. Even Tom Taylor who wrote the Finn one shot for Marvel copped attitudes with folks that acted like it was a bad thing. And all he did was COPY the same plot line the IDW Star Wars book did with Finn. Finn saving some animals.
    Meanwhile he is a BLANK slate and they went out of their way to asexualized him before the next movie. Rose nor Rey wants him.

To date I don't even know how dude even goes to interviews about this film he was completely cooned out for no real reason.
    What else does John have?

He has done 3 movies since Force Awakens.
    The Circle-supported the female lead
    *********box office flop
    Pacific Rim: Uprising-10 million short of breaking even and even in this he (a producer) got disrespected. The comic books promoted his as the lead of the prelude comic. Instead they focused on a white guy and his story was the backup.
    Daisy-3 (out of 5) box office hits. Oscar 4 (out of 11) box office hits.

A movie has a lot more people involved than comics
    How did that work out for Cyborg? All his best stuff is in a version of the film we will never see.

Ultimate Member

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/12...givingtuesday/

There is a video in there that is RARELY seen and was only show at McDuffie's memorial.

My own inclination was to create comics that were more contemporary – that meant all kinds of people, not just black people. I didn’t want to become the black version of my criticism of mainstream comics. One of the major things I was trying to accomplish was to reproduce that feeling of belonging in a younger generation of readers.

But I’m going to San Diego and I see white kids dressed as Static or white kids dressed as clearly Jon Stewart Green Lantern, I’m like we’re really getting somewhere because this is a guy who is going to be less inclined to make assumptions about who somebody is based on the colour of their skin. So yeah that’s a win.

BANNED

That's awesome-- Thanks for sharing. His quote captures exactly what I'd like to see.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I haven't been a fan of Finn's character in the SW sequels. He seems… useless. Although Rise of Skywalker is supposed to be exploring his side more, the damage from TLJ has been done on me and I won't be seeing Rise of Skywalker in theaters unless something compelling changes my mind. I'll wait until it releases on streaming, which is what I did for TLJ.

Anyway, I have some concerns that John Stewart won't get the spotlight he deserves in a Johns script and seeing how Finn has been in the Star Wars movies just has me tepid if Abrams is running things.
    I'm tired of the extreme focus on Hal when the fandom has been proving there is plenty of demand for the rest of the GLC and particularly for John and even Guy.

I agree what Mr HardKnocks was saying earlier about Finn. When I first watch the film at the theaters I was enjoying the excitement when Finn had the lightsaber duel against Kylo Ren and I thought aw man this is going to be the best fighting scene ever. While watching it, I thought there was going to be a possibility of Finn being a Jedi. That's when I thought this was all a set up to build the character to new heights, due to how he was badly treated earlier in the film and show how great diversity is in that film. When he got defeated and Rey picking up the lightsaber, that's when I knew that the execs were using this black character to promote the white character. My heart dropped like someone really died or something. That was probably one of the biggest opportunities I've seen in a billion dollar film that was missed. That's EXACTLY that I can see happen if Geoff Johns was working on the Green Lantern film. Geoff Johns doesn't care about the John Stewart character and he never will. The only time I see him really use John Stewart is to prop up Hal Jordan. The same for Tom King's (shitty) book, where he could've replaced John and use some Green Lantern alien to rely on Hal to save the day. It would've made no difference whatsoever in the story. That's how bad and shitty the book was. Tom King used a popular black character to make Hal look good. That's the only reason why I believe he was there. Imagine if it was the other way around. Geoff Johns, Tom King, Ethan Van Sciver, Liam Sharp, Gabriel Hardman would be upset. They care less if we're upset or not. Geoff Johns just don't like the John Stewart character.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 12-04-2019 at 07:16 PM.