Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I have two Gods that I'd love to see more of.

Commie God Perun and Canuck God St. Elmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I'm one and I don't consider Storm a deity or a Goddess.
    If you summon them, they will come.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Canuck God St. Elmo.
    Between Snowbird, St. Elmo and the Great Beasts (one of which, Tanaraq, had more or less been the power behind the hero Sasquatch), those Canuck gods are one of the more active Marvel 'pantheons!'

And it's funny, with the revelation of Sasquatch's origins, Alpha Flight essentially had two Thor-analogues (gods among us), on a relatively small team!

The Monkey King. He showed up in Fear itself and I've barely seen him since.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    The Monkey King. He showed up in Fear itself and I've barely seen him since.
    I think he also appeared in Greg Pak's (New) Agents of Atlas last year or so.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

The Monkey King, St. Elmo, Perun -- all great additions. But I know there are more out there. Has anyone mentioned Khonsu or Pele yet? And what about the more mystical oriented gods? I'm betting Dr. Strange knows a few.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    The Monkey King, St. Elmo, Perun -- all great additions. But I know there are more out there. Has anyone mentioned Khonsu or Pele yet? And what about the more mystical oriented gods? I'm betting Dr. Strange knows a few.
    Awesome! Since it's alright, I'll also mention Khonshu (https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Khonshu_(Earth-616)):

Along with two others...

Leir of the Celtic Gods
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Leir_(Earth-616)

Horus of the Egyptian Gods
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Horus_(Earth-9105)

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-20-2020 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Added Helpful Links.

Ultimate Member

Horus was briefly fun in a New Warriors set in an AU created by the Sphinx, as the Thor-analogue of that world's Avengers.

There were various gods from a Thor annual, that I think included Horus as well. Something about Atum the God-Eater? They all got et, so not much of a showing, really, kinda disappointing. (I mean, it was a Thor annual, so I guess it's too much to hope for a great showing from Shango or Horus...)

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I think he also appeared in Greg Pak's (New) Agents of Atlas last year or so.
    I'm still mad.
    His avatar had a great potential.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That would honestly cause more problems than it would solve.
    How is that? When we have so many white identifying God Pantheons but an African one is a problem. Seriously you, or anyone else thinks this.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    How is that? When we have so many white identifying God Pantheons but an African one is a problem. Seriously you, or anyone else thinks this.
    Bast would lose her godly mystique if she showed up more often because inevitably a creator will come along who can't help but have her lose to whichever new villain they want to hype up. Thankfully no one is reading the Coates run so her getting her ass handed to her by a mere symbiote isn't common knowledge otherwise Marvel would make it a trend. I mean just look at Khonshu, does he seem like a god worth praying to in Avengers?

I think the poster was referring to how gods that act through intermediaries probably shouldn't show up too often. But if they're implying it's somehow a problem for other African gods to be more active/heroic then that's... strange and oddly targeted.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Bast would lose her godly mystique if she showed up more often because inevitably a creator will come along who can't help but have her lose to whichever new villain they want to hype up. Thankfully no one is reading the Coates run so her getting her ass handed to her by a mere symbiote isn't common knowledge otherwise Marvel would make it a trend. I mean just look at Khonshu, does he seem like a god worth praying to in Avengers?

I think the poster was referring to how gods that act through intermediaries probably shouldn't show up too often. But if they're implying it's somehow a problem for other African gods to be more active/heroic then that's... strange and oddly targeted.
    I’m referring to how people complain a lot about how “human” Thor is often portrayed and how power level often yo-yos.

Compare how Odin was portrayed when he was first introduced to how he is now. It’s incredibly risky to do the same with Bast.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I’m referring to how people complain a lot about how “human” Thor is often portrayed and how power level often yo-yos.

Compare how Odin was portrayed when he was first introduced to how he is now. It’s incredibly risky to do the same with Bast.
    If it was Shiva or Damballah, gods with a significant real-world population of active worshippers (whom Marvel has treated like speedbumps to Thor and Dr. Strange, respectively), then yeah.

But Bast? Pshaw. I think Thor has more modern-day worshippers, and Marvel is clearly willing to 'risk' their outrage just fine.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post

Considering that as of the Donny Cates Venom series, symbiotes are made from the "living abyss" controlled by an ancient god that wants to drag everything back into the primordial void that existed before creation, which said ancient god sees as "trespassing on his turf," it makes slightly more sense than when originally published that Emperor N'Jadaka, bonded with one of those things, would be able to overpower Bast, since the aforementioned ancient god created symbiotes and used the living abyss for the very purpose of outright killing gods.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

It's still not clear to me how Knull is a sea change of difference from the Chaos King, Oblivion, etc. Are you sure this isn't Take: Two of Amatsu-Mikaboshi trashes the multiverse?

I guess what I'd really like to see is someone at Marvel take a different approach to the creation myth. They all start out with the limited and potentially flawed human perspective that darkness preceded the light, and hence, is somehow greater. But what if for a change there was only light and the complete absence of contrasting darkness was the advent? After all, many destruction myths posit that we all return to the "Light" as the primordial, eternal state of being.

Come on, Marvel, give me something, anything different. I just might buy it.