Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Are any comic stores closing because of Caronavirus?

The governors in a number of states are closing restaurants and bars. Some other stores are closing for the month as well - Nike and Apple are examples.
    Are any comic book stores also closing for the month of March or longer?

Man, so many closed BEFORE the virus...

LOL. Unless the law is going to prevent gatherings of more than 2 people at the same building and at the same time, I think my LCS is safe.
    links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    The governors in a number of states are closing restaurants and bars. Some other stores are closing for the month as well - Nike and Apple are examples.
    Are any comic book stores also closing for the month of March or longer?
    Oh, so that's why when we drove by yesterday the window showed an empty store! I was like... "wow...Saturday afternoon and not even an employee?" Kind of like right after 9/11 when the skies were empty of traffic around the local airport. Eerie.

(Not nearly as eerie as walking into a grocery right after that and witnessing scenes of panic buying I'd only seen in movies. omg, people, get a grip.)
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Attila Kiss View Post
    LOL. Unless the law is going to prevent gatherings of more than 2 people at the same building and at the same time, I think my LCS is safe.
    Same with the shop I frequent in downtown Philly. However, I would think that shops in malls could face trouble because of edicts against large gatherings.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

All the New Dimension Comics stores in western Pennsylvania are closing starting Tuesday 3/17 for at least 2 weeks.

It begins.

~G.

My LCS here in Houston just sent out an email to customers to say that they are currently planning to maintain normal business hours; but are taking steps to maintain being a safe place.

Some of the measures that they're taking are:

- Free home shipping for the next two weeks

- Curbside pickup is available for those who need it

- Checkout measures include tap-to-pay options for contact-less checkout, employees wearing gloves for cash transactions, and doing a sanitation sweep every 30 minutes, etc.

So far, they are alive and kicking.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

I wonder if there will be some skipped weeks of comic book shipments now that so many stores and comic book offices are in lock-down.

The comic shop near me in the mall is of course closed but I dont go to that one any way. It is not very good. My normal comic shop the owner is doing comics by mail. And parking lot pick up. It is only him and one other guy so they are going to be busy. For people who want to come oin the store he ois not letting more then three people in at a time.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mine in NYC just did. They were doing a door service for your books. I was going by today and they said they are closing. Cuomo ordered all non essential businesses to close.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Mine in NYC just did. They were doing a door service for your books. I was going by today and they said they are closing. Cuomo ordered all non essential businesses to close.
    Yep, that looks to be the case for all stores across New York. There may be some grey area for shops that offer a mail service as long as no employees have to report to work, but effectively comic book stores in NY are done until this is over.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Yep, that looks to be the case for all stores across New York. There may be some grey area for shops that offer a mail service as long as no employees have to report to work, but effectively comic book stores in NY are done until this is over.
    I don't see how they are not essential services.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I took printed out copy of the Previews list for next week and the week of April 1st with my picks checked off when I went to pick things up Wednesday. I paid for the those and in advance for the others. He is going to do curb side pick ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I don't see how they are not essential services.
    We were still open on Wednesday and all of our customers came and told us that we were essential to them, so that was really nice. To be honest, that's going to be the hardest part for me. We have developed a really strong community of people who come in on Wendesdays and hang out for a few hours. It's going to be sad to let that go for a little bit.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Around the world, the things that remain unique are at risk: that indie bookstore, the art house movie theater, the little mom and pop store, that tea and herb store with the slightly crazy owner who knows everything about knotweeds. The vinyl record store, the charity thrift store, the local comic book store. When we leave quarantine, we risk coming back to a world where only the Starbucks and Payless survived.

I hope we can stop that from happening. Maybe those small stores have online options.

But for now, we need to stay home.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!