Page 602 of 668 FirstFirst ... 102502552592598599600601602603604605606612652 ... LastLast
Results 9,016 to 9,030 of 10015
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    The mutants that saw themselves as Gods are all people with supremacist views.

And, like I said, we're in a different stage: the Krakoa era is not about how people react to minorities today (although the way they acted at Marvel, it was usually how they reacted 100 years ago), but how they would react if the minorities got a respite and the upper hand for once.
    That’s not gonna happen in real life. No magic spell spell is suddenly gonna have all the black people siting at the tables while whites serve them, no matter how many episodes of Atlanta show that being possible. It’s just as pointless a fantasy as krakoa and makes people think that one day the tables will turn. But they won’t and never will.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Yes there is. Exodus and Sinister were saying they should let humans die off, and Storm was advocating to save them and was giving an “all lives are precious” argument.
    Okay, that’s some better context at least.

Ultra, what on earth are you talking about?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    Okay, that’s some better context at least.

Ultra, what on earth are you talking about?
    Atlanta i was talking about the show Atlanta. It shares a lot themes with the current X-men run.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultramega1 View Post
    That’s not gonna happen in real life. No magic spell spell is suddenly gonna have all the black people siting at the tables while whites serve them, no matter how many episodes of Atlanta show that being possible. It’s just as pointless a fantasy as krakoa and makes people think that one day the tables will turn. But they won’t and never will.
    Well of course it's not real, but neither are ppl who shoot lasers out their eyes or can move things with Their minds. All of this is a fantasy What's your point? I don't think anyone thinks we'll hit a 180 or things will change but saying ppl would think so is a pipe dream. I think sometimes ppl like to have breaks from "losing" all the time I know I do. Seeing a group you love take L's over and over and being cool with it can suck.

But so can seeing them change and I understand with those ppl and I empathize, I just wish that went both ways, seriously if ppl had a bit more I think some would understand the current status quo better. Just my opinion though.
    Last edited by Neocide; 09-25-2022 at 02:33 AM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neocide View Post
    Well of course it's not real, but neither are ppl who shoot lasers out their eyes or can move things with Their minds. All of this is a fantasy What's your point? I don't think anyone thinks we'll hit a 180 or things will change but saying ppl would think so is a pipe dream. I think sometimes ppl like to have breaks from "losing" all the time I know I do. Seeing a group you love take L's over and over and being cool with it can suck

Exactly. The comics don't have, and as a matter of fact can't, reflect precisely real-life struggles of minorities everywhere, but it can offer some analogies and interesting what if scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Neocide View Post
    But so can seeing them change and I understand with those ppl and I empathize, I just wish that went both ways, seriously if ppl had a bit more I think some would understand the current status quo better. Just my opinion though.
    It's a lot easier to bitch and whine that "not mah X-men!" though.

.Exactly. The comics don't have, and as a matter of fact can't, reflect precisely real-life struggles of minorities everywhere, but it can offer some analogies and interesting what if scenarios.
    Some people see the X-men as that… I just see people with powerful powers fighting other people with powerful powers.

Minorities or rather people from minorities don’t need analogies and this fantasy power, they have a voice of their own to speak of what happens in their life.

Krakoans are no more humans in the sense of they don’t share anymore humans’ preoccupations.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Some people see the X-men as thatÂ… I just see people with powerful powers fighting other people with powerful powers.

Minorities or rather people from minorities donÂ’t need analogies and this fantasy power, they have a voice of their own to speak of what happens in their life.

Krakoans are no more humans in the sense of they donÂ’t share anymore humansÂ’ preoccupations.

I know outside the us some of the minority issues is hard to understand how it doesn't stop or whatnot. But just because we have "voices" doesn't necessarily mean we are heard, so yes comics like this can be a good thing for people like me. Plus it's always been the X-men. If you want straight up heroes with powers do power things theres like 1000 books for you.

Some people see the X-men as that… I just see people with powerful powers fighting other people with powerful powers.

Minorities or rather people from minorities don’t need analogies and this fantasy power, they have a voice of their own to speak of what happens in their life.

Krakoans are no more humans in the sense of they don’t share anymore humans’ preoccupations.
    If "minorites have a voice of their own", maybe don't make statements speaking for them bud.

Astonishing Member

The issue is t that minorities don’t need analogies Zelenya, although I’d appreciate more characters that are an actual real world minority. My main disagreement comes with execution and straining of the metaphor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    If "minorites have a voice of their own", maybe don't make statements speaking for them bud.
    And my main issue is considering that fictional people who are no longer humans could represent them in any way… Death? Pfff…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

And my main issue is considering that fictional people who are no longer humans could represent them in any way… Death? Pfff…
    There was a certain comic that used rats as an analogy for the plight of real-life minorities and it worked pretty well.

Astonishing Member

There was a certain comic that used rats as an analogy for the plight of real-life minorities and it worked pretty well.
    I don't think Maus honestly works in the same way X-men does, because while it is a comic that did use animals as allegories, it's not only tied in to actual, definite real life events, it's the story of actual people who went through those events. The x-men's sufferings is at best, based off or draws inspiration from historical events. Erik is a holocaust survivor but his story is not the story of an actual holocaust survivor. There's a layer that exists between the allegory of the X-men and what they are allegories for that does not exist with Maus.

I doubt you’re talking about immortal rats…

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    I don't think Maus honestly works in the same way X-men does, because while it is a comic that did use animals as allegories, it's not only tied in to actual, definite real life events, it's the story of actual people who went through those events. The x-men's sufferings is at best, based off or draws inspiration from historical events. Erik is a holocaust survivor but his story is not the story of an actual holocaust survivor. There's a layer that exists between the allegory of the X-men and what they are allegories for that does not exist with Maus.
    I was being sarcastic, of course.

I doubt you’re talking about immortal rats…
    Well, technically, if you die, but can come back, and your resurrection method can be destroyed, then you're not really immortal, are you?

But anyway, X-men since House of X/P10 aren't trying to parallel the struggles of a minority in real life in the past or present. It's more of a what if if one of those minorities suddenly not only stroke rich, but got advantages (most) of the other side doesn't have, and how would the world react to it.

Astonishing Member

But anyway, X-men since House of X/P10 aren't trying to parallel the struggles of a minority in real life in the past or present. It's more of a what if if one of those minorities suddenly not only stroke rich, but got advantages (most) of the other side doesn't have, and how would the world react to it.
    Israel?

10char