Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Monica actually got a pretty good run under roger Stern and Buscema's Avengers. Ewing is doing a good job with her now too in Ultimates.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

No offense but Carol makes more sense looking back reading older issues I'm 23 so I wasn't born when they were originally released but through marvel unlimited reading those older issues like it never made sense Monica bring captain marvel, Carol has more history with the kree hero mar-vell the original captain marvel she was caught in a explosion of a Kree device, after trying to get close to Captain Marvel they would later become lovers too and Carol is notable for being one of the first female superheroes marvel created that branched off on her own characters like storm and jean grey and Susan storm never went outside of their team titles and in a way they didn't but Carol is iconic in the way that marvel was quite progressive at the time to make such a move.

I think she also joined the avengers before Monica did Monica didn't take the mantle of captain marvel until after mar-vell had died from cancer, and I think looking back Carol should've taken the mantle I don't think Monica really made sense it's strange too because with some characters like miles morales and kamala khan they didn't really know original ms marvel and spider man they had no history with those characters at all yet they worked... I like Monica better as spectrum and Monica has more or less accepted Carol as captain marvel and I think if you ignore civil war ii for a moment Monica and Carol for the most part have a really great respect for each other and a really strong friendship.

I like Monica don't get me wrong but in my opinion she never really made sense as captain marvel I like both her and Carol as characters though and I really like what al Ewing is doing with her character and Carol's character in the ultimates.

If I'm incorrect about some of the history I apologize I tend to be forgettable sometimes of some key details sometimes when I haven't read certain comics in awhile especially when I read so many comics also considering the 80's wasn't the best era for Carol there's also that with the whole avengers 200 incident and rogue putting her in a coma.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 12-13-2016 at 06:04 AM.

BANNED

Pretty cool IMO to read that `why didn´t Marvel push Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel´ to be messed up!
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/12/...tain-marvel-1/

´... promoting Carol Danvers as some progressive and ground breaking empowering role model for young girls and women, when Roger Stern under the Shooter EIC editorial regime did all that 30 years ago with Monica and without any fanfare or to win browning points and good press from the mainstream news media.´

To me, so very TRUE!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The thing is, it's not just Monica's race, though Marvel pushing a black woman as their #1 superheroine would have been a powerful statement to make. The real problem is Marvel gave Monica the title of "Captain Marvel" in the first place, then neglected her for years before finally having her give up the title without much fanfare. It underlines the fact that Marvel gave Monica the Captain Marvel title just as a flashy gimmick to gain momentary attention, without having any plans to focus on her further or give a strong development arc for her in the future. It is just a shoddy treatment of a really good character, especially a minority race female character. Storm's movie rights going to Fox presented the perfect opportunity to make up for the past treatment of Monica and push her as their new female superhero face, but Marvel didn't act on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    True. Monica was one of those characters that obtained a "Marvel" title while not being related to the Mar-Vell legacy and somehow Marvel to only associate the name to Mar-Vell related characters, which is probably why Marvel Boy became Justice. There's also the exposure factor. Rogue became popular due to X-Men:TAS and Carol was part of her origin so that gave her some fans (such as myself). Then in the late 90s, early 2000s they put her back in the Avengers while Monica was mostly absent.
    Marvel Boy became Justice because he was not related to Mar-Vell and yet Kamala Khan who is not related to Carol Danvers became Ms. Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Heh, the first time I came across Carol was in "A Rogue's Tale" too. I remember looking her up online in the 90's and coming across that cool "This Woman This Warrior" website.
    I LOVED X-Men TAS "A Rogue's Tale". The episode featured a weird sequence very loosely inspired by the events of Avengers Annual #10.

Avengers Annual #10 (1981) unpublished cover by Michael Golden

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Marvel Boy became Justice because he was not related to Mar-Vell and yet Kamala Khan who is not related to Carol Danvers became Ms. Marvel.
    Give it time, she'll get more than one name change as soon as her creator loses interest.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Give it time, she'll get more than one name change as soon as her creator loses interest.
    Or more likely, once some writer comes along that wants to use the name for a legacy character, the legacy character's kin or someone "more closely connected" to said legacy character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Or more likely, once some writer comes along that wants to use the name for a legacy character, the legacy character's kin or someone "more closely connected" to said legacy character.
    Historically, that's not how it works.
    G. Willow Wilson did not steal the Miss Marvel name from Carol. She just picked it up once it became available after Carol's upgrade.
    Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel was sidelined, but not before her creator left.
    Legacy names tend to get new owners when the old keeper of the name has fallen into limbo.

The reasoning is not "Hey, let's kill off Wolverine so we can make Laura the new Wolverine". It's "Let's kill off Wolverine, as a big cash grab, and then in a few years bring him back, as an even bigger cash grab."

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Historically, that's not how it works.
    G. Willow Wilson did not steal the Miss Marvel name from Carol. She just picked it up once it became available after Carol's upgrade.
    Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel was sidelined, but not before her creator left.
    Legacy names tend to get new owners when the old keeper of the name has fallen into limbo.

The reasoning is not "Hey, let's kill off Wolverine so we can make Laura the new Wolverine". It's "Let's kill off Wolverine, as a big cash grab, and then in a few years bring him back, as an even bigger cash grab."
    I think with Carol it makes more sense than Monica to be captain marvel given the history Carol and mar-vell had its one of those instances where I truly believe the connection to the original character is important.

Besides Monica has moved on and accepted Carol as captain marvel.

And to go off topic for a bit Laura made complete sense to take over as wolverine when Logan died and Logan is still dead so it works and old man Logan doesn't count since he's from an alternate timeline.

And characters like miles morales as the younger spider man and kamala khan as ms marvel make sense completely despite not having much history with said character prior to taking on their mantles.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 01-09-2017 at 04:16 AM.

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Nipower888!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    The Marvelites: Carol, Monica, and Kamala. Sounds like a Motown group.
    Quote Originally Posted by niconico00 View Post
    You're forgetting someone...
    To me, Sharon Ventura was a marvelous Marvelite. Loved her and Ben Grimm in the Fantastic Four comicbook series together

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Bob Harras!!!

Avengers #345-347 – ‘Operation: Galactic Storm’
    Writer: Bob Harras, Penciller: Steve Epting

‘Operation: Galactic Storm’, or the Kree-Shi’ar War, was a huge nineteen-part crossover that ran through all the ‘Avengers’ related titles for three months. You could do a lot worse than to read the whole thing, but the three ‘Avengers’ issues are the most significant. A couple of these issues in particular highlight the moral conflicts that would be a major theme of Harras’ run.

Issue #345 has four of the Avengers take on a hostile Shi’ar ship, with Sersi threatening to kill the entire crew if they do not stop their attack.
    Issue #346 takes place on the cold and uninviting Kree homeworld, where the regular Avengers team must decide how to deal with an assassination attempt. (It also contains the first appearance of the ‘Avenger jackets’, which became a bit of a running joke about the era.)
    The big one though is issue #347, in which one of the warring empires is utterly destroyed, and the Avengers are split as to whether they punish the party responsible.
    Iron Man leads one faction, while Captain America heads the other,

Line-up: Captain America, Iron Man, Thor/Thunderstrike, Quasar, Wonder Man, Black Knight, Sersi, Crystal, Hercules, Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye/Goliath II, Starfox, Living Lightning, US Agent, Falcon, Henry Pym, Wasp, She-Hulk, Mockingbird, Gilgamesh.
    Main villains: Supreme Intelligence, Ronan the Accuser, Deathbird, Starforce, Ael-Dann, Dar-Benn
    Other main characters: Lilandra, Shi’ar Imperial Guard, Doctor Corbeau

a precursor to the Marvel-wide ‘Civil War’ event some fifteen years later.
    In the end this particular split harmed the team more in the short-term than in the long-term, but it still made for a more interesting conflict than your average crossover event.
    http://www.comicsreporter.com/index....ay_bob_harras/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    In my opinion I say Monica(and Blue Marvel) is in a good spot right now. Why? Because she has a writer(Ewing) that has taken an interest in writing her which is GOOD! That is one way characters develop in grow.

Carol, Luke, Flash(Agent Venom), Iron Fist and even Black Panther grew because they had writers that LIKED WRITING THEM! How popular would Luke be without Brian Bendis? How popular would Black Panther be without Priest. How popular would Carol be without that writer that made her famous again(forgot his name).
    That to me esteemed writer is Kurt Busiek. To me, this man has a very, very good understanding of the comicbook character Carol Danvers.
    IMO Busiek must have read the last page of the 1978 Ms. Marvel # 19

On this page the to me esteemed writer Chris Claremont established that the comicbook character Carol Danvers resents being a derivative.
    The character did not have a say in the superhero costume AND superhero name. The psyche-magnitron bestowed those 2 apects on the comicbook character Carol Danvers.
    IMO it must have been frustrating for Chris Claremont to only HALF succeed in his intent for the comicbook character Carol Danvers to not be a derivative of the comicbook character Captain Mar-Vell.

In 1978, the black costume designed by the late GREAT Dave Cockrum finally meant a look for the comicbook character Carol Danvers that visually distinguished the character from the comicbook character Captain Mar-Vell, BUT the name 'Ms. Marvel' was kept.
    Claremont FINALLY succeeded in his intent, to have the comicbook character Carol Danvers be her 'own woman', in 1982 with the look and name of BINARY

In 1998 Kurt Busiek was the writer who FINALLY bestowed the name that should have been associated with the black costume from the get-go; WARBIRD.
    I really am of the belief that Kurt Busiek must have read the above depicted last page of Ms. Marvel # 19 to come to his to me BRILLIANT conclusion.

This is why when BMB wrote House of Meh it did not make sense at all to me that the comicbook character Carol Danvers' sub-conscious desire was to be Captain Mar-Vell.
    As depicted in the above depicted last page of Ms. Marvel # 19 the comicbook character Carol Danvers states she is not Kree, therefor does not want to have a costume and name that associates her with the Kree.

The comicbook character Carol Danvers honors the comicbook character Captain Mar-Vell with a superhero costume and superhero name that are uniquely hers first as BINARY and later on as WARBIRD.

so what celebrities know about Monica? Have any spoken about her publicly?

BANNED

Cool Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!!!

In honor of Dr. King acknowledging the comicbook character Monica "Capitan Maravilla" Rambeau the very first Captain Marvel woman to always be the Glistening Golden Captain Marvel!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post

In honor of Dr. King acknowledging the comicbook character Monica "Capitan Maravilla" Rambeau the very first Captain Marvel woman to always be the Glistening Golden Captain Marvel!
    I get being a superfanatic fan, but this is just repulsive and in severely bad taste.