Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Well Year One not doing well with critics is surprising to absolutely no one. Not sure if I'm going to give it a shot or not. I'm still curious about it, honestly I'd be lying if part of me wasn't also hoping for a "so bad it's good" ASBAR situation as soon as this was announced. Anyway saying Golden Age Superman is mandatory to "getting" Superman is too extreme. But so is saying we've moved on or should move on. I've dipped my feet into golden age and enjoy what I've read of it so far. And I got nothing but respect for Siegal and Shuster for everything they did for the medium and for creating my favorite character. But at the same time I very much disagree with the notion that you have to read the first appearances of a character in order to be considered a "true fan."These characters have become bigger than their original creators. I'm a big fan of a lot of characters who've I've never bothered to dig up and read their first appearences, Batman, Hal Jordan, Green Arrow and Aquaman come to mind. And I'd say I 'get' those characters just fine.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 05-18-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Really not a fan of the idea of baby Clark probing Jonathan's brain, less so that he can somehow knowingly manipulate him at such a young age. Not a very good look for a character who is supposed to be an altruistic, fundamentally good person.

But it's not terrible so far, even if I'm unsold on JRJR's pencils. May actually pick up the first issue when beforehand I was decidedly not interested. We'll see how word of mouth goes.
    He is a baby and he's already supposed to have morals greater then most adults would in this scenario? I guess the kents aren't needed if he can have such a strong moral compass at that age.

I doubt that it'll be handled well, and obviously the reviews aren't great, but then that's what I expect from Miller, however I don't think the Clark in the military idea is bad at all, and is something that I would easily be fine with in the main continuity, provided you get a more competent writer to tell that story.

Still interested in this, despite the Miller-ness.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't see a problem with joining the navy. People mention the golden age when it comes to Miller, and that's a pretty golden age idea.

Millerness: One thing is I wish Miller didn't keep including Batman Year One with his other DC work, because it's the legitimately excellent story and it's a black sheep in tone. He seems to have this forced, absurd grit as a masteted signature and while it makes the stories a little bad sometimes it's also pretty fun when you let go.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I have no interest in the Golden Age and I feel I get Superman just fine. The Golden Age isn't what should forever define Superman either. We've moved on.
    No we havn't. Same shits going on today as when Superman was created it's just been given a veneer of civility while it's sticking a knife between your ribs. Men still beat there wives, slum lords still run tenements, war and povery run rampant. We've moved on? Bull.

I saw the two previews and i have mixed feelings. I like some of the ideas while others are strange and odd. Clarkie actually manipulated Pa into taking him in by some kind of telepathy? 'Not hostile'. If the kid Clark wasn't adorable i would have thought Frank Miller was writing his 'Brightburn'. Even the way Martha talks on seeing Clark for the first time is weird. How do you say from seeing his eyes that he has seen numerous worlds. Strange choice.

I liked the display of powers a lot. One of my favorite parts of superhero stories is the elation when they discover the powers. Like flight in Man of Steel and Peter Parker in Raimi's first Spider-man. An adorable kid enjoying his powers. A big thumbs up from me. I like that Clark has made a sort of group on school. That's fresh and nice. If Miller had some collaborator this might have been one of the great origins. I see some nice ideas. But they feel flat in execution. Okayish.

Still based on the previews alone i am going to pick up the 1st issue and decide whether to move forward or not. That's quite a leap from uninterested as i was before.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    He is a baby and he's already supposed to have morals greater then most adults would in this scenario? I guess the kents aren't needed if he can have such a strong moral compass at that age.
    His first action being one of manipulating someone into taking him in as a son shows a corrupt moral center and lends credence to the notion that Clark is one bad day away from Injustice. He's unbalanced at his core in this scenario and the Kents only are a bandaid preventing his more manipulative, selfish nature. That doesn't really sound like any sort of Clark Kent I've ever enjoyed.

More importantly, he's an infant. His thought process being so defined just makes him further detached from anyone not already a fan. You're not going to convince new readers how relatable Superman is by showing him as some mastermind even as a child. Generally speaking, showing intelligence as a child is done more carefully and through a development of motor skills early. Clark is full-on gaming people? Alien or no, that's pretty ridiculous and I don't see it making people like Clark. Come on, man.

There's a difference in making him incorruptible and making him a puppet master, which Clark has never been. Hell, the very idea that Clark is bending someone good to fit his agenda is kind of disgusting. Hell, that he's already smarter, stronger and overall their superior than them as a baby does make them look more like pets. They're around to make him feel good for a while and fetch him supper. Good look.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-19-2019 at 05:12 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I don't see a problem with joining the navy. People mention the golden age when it comes to Miller, and that's a pretty golden age idea.

Millerness: One thing is I wish Miller didn't keep including Batman Year One with his other DC work, because it's the legitimately excellent story and it's a black sheep in tone. He seems to have this forced, absurd grit as a masteted signature and while it makes the stories a little bad sometimes it's also pretty fun when you let go.
    That's been my feeling forever. It's this down to Earth story that works as a great stand alone story. The fact that it just happens to be the official origin for so many different versions of Batman says a lot about how good it is. It's far and away my favorite Batman story and was the first "realistic" superhero comic I ever read. I hate to see it sullied by incorporating it into this.
    Assassinate Putin!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I guess I just don't care. Superman has become an ouroboros, his narrative is just swallowing itself. Always restarting just to restart again.

I'll see what you all think though.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-19-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Well Year One not doing well with critics is surprising to absolutely no one. Not sure if I'm going to give it a shot or not. I'm still curious about it, honestly I'd be lying if part of me wasn't also hoping for a "so bad it's good" ASBAR situation as soon as this was announced. Anyway saying Golden Age Superman is mandatory to "getting" Superman is too extreme. But so is saying we've moved on or should move on. I've dipped my feet into golden age and enjoy what I've read of it so far. And I got nothing but respect for Siegal and Shuster for everything they did for the medium and for creating my favorite character. But at the same time I very much disagree with the notion that you have to read the first appearances of a character in order to be considered a "true fan."These characters have become bigger than their original creators. I'm a big fan of a lot of characters who've I've never bothered to dig up and read their first appearences, Batman, Hal Jordan, Green Arrow and Aquaman come to mind. And I'd say I 'get' those characters just fine.
    I think the frustration comes when some say Superman exhibiting Golden age tendencies is out of character, because it's just straight up factually incorrect. He's not a character with a single narrative with a beginning, middle and end, and the early version is just as valid as all those that came after. At the same time, focusing only on that would be detrimental to him in its own way since a lot of iconic stuff came after the Golden Age. But since the character struggles with the perception of being too perfect/powerful/boring and outdated, it can be annoying when trying to return him to his Golden Age roots (which are still relevant today, and arguably more relevant and timeless than the Byrne version) gets met with some resistance when it could just be the thing to help him.

My ideal Superman is a fusion of the Golden age and Silver/Bronze age, with him leaning more towards the former in his early years and the latter in his later years. The takes-no-bullshit champion of the oppressed who lives in the crazy over the top world of his later counterpart and who evolves into Super God. I think it should be within his character to be more hotheaded and rough when he's younger, because the wisdom and necessary restraint with his increasing powers would come with age and experience. But the older and wiser Superman should never completely lose his edge. I want "Don't tug on Superman's cape" to be a thing again.

However, it is perhaps unsurprising that past-his-prime Frank and his take on a Golden Age Superman isn't as well done as Morrison's.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

Joining the Navy could potentially be interesting, but the problem is that how do you reconcile Clark’s secret identity and no-kill rule with the mandatory physical fitness tests he is sure to be subjected to? There’s no way he’d be able to hide his powers. But I am interested in seeing where Miller goes with this.
    His first action being one of manipulating someone into taking him in as a son shows a corrupt moral center and lends credence to the notion that Clark is one bad day away from Injustice. He's unbalanced at his core in this scenario and the Kents only are a bandaid preventing his more manipulative, selfish nature. That doesn't really sound like any sort of Clark Kent I've ever enjoyed.

More importantly, he's an infant. His thought process being so defined just makes him further detached from anyone not already a fan. You're not going to convince new readers how relatable Superman is by showing him as some mastermind even as a child. Generally speaking, showing intelligence as a child is done more carefully and through a development of motor skills early. Clark is full-on gaming people? Alien or no, that's pretty ridiculous and I don't see it making people like Clark. Come on, man.

There's a difference in making him incorruptible and making him a puppet master, which Clark has never been. Hell, the very idea that Clark is bending someone good to fit his agenda is kind of disgusting. Hell, that he's already smarter, stronger and overall their superior than them as a baby does make them look more like pets. They're around to make him feel good for a while and fetch him supper. Good look.
    It’s not quite the same thing. Injustice basically says that Superman is stupid and weak. He can’t handle the Joker and Injustice goes out of its way to show how much better Batman is by him refusing to compromise his values no matter how hard Supes pushes him. This story seems dedicated to showing off Kal’s more “alien” side, giving him that Pre-Crisis status of being a super-genius. It’s less about Clark being corruptible, Miller treated Clark far better than NRS ever did as unbelievable as that seems, but showing that Clark in this iteration is not the typical “grows up normal” he is elsewhere. Since I don’t expect this to be canon, I think it’s fair game for Miller to treat Clark’s development as he wants. After Byrne, Waid, Johns, Morrison, and Wolfman all chose to emphasize Clark’s relatively normal upbringing in their origin stories, Miller choosing to go more weird and unsettling is pretty much the only way to avoid reading yet another rehash.

Incredible Member

To be honest after re-reading it i'm not even sure Clark is using telepathy to give his would be adoptive father instructions on taking care of him. Sure I get where people can make the connection but on second reading it seems more Frank Millar using his poetic license to describe a feeling to me.

And even if he was using telepathy it's still a large leap to Injustice superman. Injustice is what happens when his largest definable human quality is based on who he is married to and losing that, in this scene you have a child using the most basic instinct we all have which is the need to survive. I mean he's powerful but still he's a infant on a strange world on his own.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    To be honest after re-reading it i'm not even sure Clark is using telepathy to give his would be adoptive father instructions on taking care of him. Sure I get where people can make the connection but on second reading it seems more Frank Millar using his poetic license to describe a feeling to me.
    I view it the same way.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

CBR REVIEW: Miller & Romita's Superman: Year One is Big, Bold and Weird: https://www.cbr.com/superman-year-one-review/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    CBR REVIEW: Miller & Romita's Superman: Year One is Big, Bold and Weird: https://www.cbr.com/superman-year-one-review/
    Miller is coming off very "What's up fellow kids?" with how he writes teens